Animalector's Ebike Builds

This afternoon in 40 degree C heat, I trimmed the main battery cables to the controller to get rid of the inductive loop.

Next I had a mate help me make a new spacer for the rear wheel drive side. The washers I had in there were very slightly fouling on the freewheel so not spinning freely. It now spins much more freely and has a better chain line.

Also I upped the current in the CA to 80Amps, 6000W yesterday but it was limited to 73Amps or 5150ish Watts peak. so I think the Controller is current limiting at 75Amps.

Zombiess recommended I not go above 80A. so Might leave it at this setting for "offroad" mode.

20140208_153705 (Custom).jpg

I bought This from EVAssemble

http://www.evassemble.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=139

THe colour codes are:
Yellow to Black (indicator left)
Green to Black (indicator right)
Red to Red (Horn)
White to Blue (lights on)

[youtube]b0eNtpL3hyg[/youtube]

*edit* the 5kw power runs probably shouldn't be performed in >40 degree heat.. the controller was HOT HOT HOT... but still works.. (phew)

This was full power and full regen to slow down again.. Peak speed was around 67 ish km/h all this in under 80m of street (I wasn't riding.. it was a mate... honest... actually it was... :mrgreen: I did recommend he keep it under 25km/h and 250w.. actually I didn't...)

Andy

More vids please!

When are we up for a group ride in Melb? Winter's coming.... :|

Saturday maybe? My problem is the borg is to big to fit in the getz. So I would have to ride to wherever we meet. That plus I am still trying to figure out how to solidly Mount the batteries so I can do some proper off roading.
Andy

Animalector said:
[youtube]b0eNtpL3hyg[/youtube]

I've checked acceleration tests and it doesn't look as fast as I would expect for a 5KW output. Maybe it's the video that gives this impression?

My BPM with at 80V35A (2.8KW) does look to have similar acceleration:
[youtube]FKnR93NdmgE[/youtube]

See 1:46mn for acceleration test

Maybe because it's a geared motor on smaller wheel (20") and lower top speed? (50km/h)

I'm considering either a dual BPM (6KW output together) or a cromotor at 10KW output for good acceleration. But I'm not sure the cromotor will perform better than 2 geared motors?

Maybe the Cro at 10kw won't perform as well but it will be a heck of a lot more reliable. Those bafangs are on the edge. .. In the vid the speed was about 68kmh so it's probably the vid that is deceiving

Oh and I think from memory that the zombiess 18Fet controller has pretty conservative phase current. Ihavent tried playing with any of those settings. Tbh it will get in front of cars at the lights and pull me up any Hill I want to ride up. So iam happy with the performance. 10kw would be fun. But I don't want to kill anything. Since I am now out of money. Hehehe

Can anyone suggest phase amp settings that are safe for the 18Fet?
Andy

I think my Lyen(infineon) 18fet is running at 135 phase / 70 battery. I'd assume the Zombiess equivalent could do the same?

dunno what the phase settings are.. I think he posted the settings in the sale thread, but I couldn't be bothered searching fro it at the moment.

Ok so, only one small show of interest with the bike through this Forum.. Might hit up Ebay and Gumtree to see what else is out there, otherwise looks like I'm keeping the borg.

IN the meantime, I've started a little project using one of my Touch Screen OLED controllers that I designed / built for http://www.myintelligym.com

The plan is to read the values from the CA (there's serial data available through a connector at the bottom of the controller) and display the key values on a display (speed, amps, motor temp) as well as logging everything.

I was also planning on having a mode where I can plug it into the Infineon and program that sucker easily, that way you could take it with you on a ride and "fine tune" values on the rider rather than having to carry a laptop (this is just an idea I haven't really looked into it in detail yet, but I seem to recall the protocol being on the forum somewhere.

[youtube]MDslaB6AnXw[/youtube]

Anyways currently the three gauges are receiving data from the internal 3-axis accelerometer, speed is Y-axis, Amps is X-axis, and temperature bar graph is Z-axis

Andy

Also, I've been working on a battery bracket system for a mate.. made up of (hopefully) cheap laser cut parts. I've attached them here for others to use if they wish.

Additional Components include (from Bunnings Warehouse):
10 x 10 x 1.5mm aluminium Channel
20 x 20 x 1.4mm extruded-L aluminium
15 or 20mm standoffs to go between the bracket plates
hose clamps

View attachment Torque Arm_v3.DXF
View attachment Torque Arm_v3_final.PDF
Torque Arm_v3 (Custom).JPG
View attachment 3
View attachment 2
battery_bracket_plate_asm.JPG

More detail on assembly later

Andy

Good News,

Finally my rear Tektro Dorado Hydraulic Brakes are being sent from the supplier - A long ongoing saga for around 4 months, First they sent 'right' lever rear brakes instead of 'left' lever. Then the Replacement brakes failed Manufacturing QC due to manufacturing process error, so Tektro had to re-run a whole batch of brakes, and now finally, the replacements are being sent.

I have been getting used to the stopping power of the regen, so it will be interesting how quickly I can pull up with Front and rear hydros and regen all together.

Andy

I'd bet the Tektro barely sees any wear combined with the regen, the wheel will lock up well before it's doing any real work.

I'm still waiting on the Dorados too (buying one from another ES member when they arrive).

Cheers

Animalector said:
Good News,

Finally my rear Tektro Dorado Hydraulic Brakes are being sent from the supplier - A long ongoing saga for around 4 months, First they sent 'right' lever rear brakes instead of 'left' lever. Then the Replacement brakes failed Manufacturing QC due to manufacturing process error, so Tektro had to re-run a whole batch of brakes, and now finally, the replacements are being sent.

I have been getting used to the stopping power of the regen, so it will be interesting how quickly I can pull up with Front and rear hydros and regen all together.

Andy

Ok, well I finally got around to fitting the 203mm disc. and I can't get a good alignment with the brake mounts. It's like the adapter need holes in a different place. Bummer.. I'll have to get creative and drill an extra hole in the brake mount I think to make it work.

Pics later.

Andy

And..... $61 and a "Tap & Die Kit" later, we have a solid, aligned mount.

20140520_205555 (Custom).jpg
20140520_205536 (Custom).jpg
20140520_205519 (Custom).jpg
20140520_205740 (Custom).jpg

The brake switch is not connected yet, but that it literally a 5 min job. which I will do when I take it for a test ride, maybe tomorrow afternoon.

On the plus side, I am getting an ISAW A3 Action Camera for my birthday, so I might be able to do some cool vids.

Andy

Are you still thinking of keeping the big motor Andy?

Yes and No... If nobody buys it I'll keep it (obviously) :pancake: I enjoy riding it, but really nee dto get to some offroad tracks to "test it out" properly.

Plus I enjoy the building phase - and with all my capital invested in this bike, I can't really build anything new.

Andy

Animalector said:
... really nee dto get to some offroad tracks to "test it out" properly.

That's what the streets of Melbourne are for :) Just don't forget to ghost-pedal.

Quick review. Following the swap over of levers from right to left, the rear brake needs to be bled. it's not "spongy" as such, but is quite deep in the pull for full action. Regardless, there's sufficient stopping power to lock the rear. The mix of regen and hydraulic braking is actually very impressive. I am considering swapping the front pit-bike brake and disc over to the the Tektro Dorado, I have a feeling the stopping performance will improve. Although there will certainly be an adapter involved. the forks are not set up for typical MTB mounts. Having said that, it shouldn't be too difficult.

I am not sure if I want to parallel the front and rear e-brake switches and send to controller for regen, or perhaps run the front to the CA for cruise disable, and the rear to the controller for regen. I like this option better since for very light front braking I don't want regen to be activating.

Interested as to how others have their e-brakes configured.

Thanks
Andy

I think the Dorado's are better than the pit bike brakes, the rear feels very good.. SO I went ahead and started fitting up the front, obvious weight savings, twin piston, instead of single, no "floating caliper" so less clunky.

Still working on the mount but here's the temporary fitting (it is solid though I won't trust it, I need 13mm thick bracket between the post mount and the fork mount. *edit* oh and the pads aren't centered on the disc yet either, so not enough contact surface area.....

Todo tomorrow I think.

20140522_214102 (Custom).jpg

Andy

Some more work today.

20140524_135327 (Custom).jpg
20140524_135324 (Custom).jpg
20140524_135315 (Custom).jpg
20140524_135334 (Custom).jpg

More comments later.

*Later*

So, I think I will get myself an 8mm long M6 grub screw and screw it into the remaining mounting hole for strength. I don't like the idea the mount was designed that thick for a reason, and right where there would be significant forces theres now a hole that would usually be filled with screw..

I am pretty happy with the position of the pads on the disc now, I "could" pull it all off, grind the top post mount down about 3mm and "angle" the lower post, forward a touch, but the rear half of the pads have full surface contact. so I will give it a test to see how it goes before getting the grinder out again. can't add the material back... (though I could always buy another mount but I keep sinking money into this bike...)

Anyways enough of a rant for now, I might take it for a ride tomorrow... after I get a grub screw..

Andy

Andy

Well. I got myself a grub screw to fill the gap / weak point. so I am happy with the strength of the Mount. I took it out for a short run on the street this afternoon and the braking performance is far superior to the pit bike brakes. It really is more like a factory moto now rather than a home made ebike.

Now the bad news. Since the brake Mount is offset for the fork there is significant toque and the Mount flexes under static load tests. So I'll have to come up with a more solid bracket. I can bring the disc 6mm closer with disc spacers that I have and that leaves 5mm for a solid adapter plate. Less torque on the Mount probably a better solution. Where can I find a 100x100x5mm aluminum plate?

*** EDIT *** After some review, I might use 8mm plate, which leaves more depth for thread to mount onto the fork mounts. (M8)

That's it for now
Andy

Should be plenty of local metal suppliers that will cut it for you - or ring a local laser cutter. Let me know if you get stuck and I'll put you onto mine over here....

Yeah agreed.. I have a mob here that have done some cutting for me, although recently they have just not responded to a quote even after 2 followup calls and 3 emails.. so... maybe the job is just too small.. The issue is I don't like paying $50 for a one off part. when I supply the CAD. which unfortunately is what most expect to charge for small odd jobs. This time I was actually going to try just getting a small piece of stock and grinding it down myself as an exercise. I see what some people on here are capable of with a grinder and want to see what I can do..

Andy

Wow, $50 seems really good compared to any other prices I've seen (in QLD, just for cutting etc).
Animalector said:
Yeah agreed.. I have a mob here that have done some cutting for me, although recently they have just not responded to a quote even after 2 followup calls and 3 emails.. so... maybe the job is just too small.. The issue is I don't like paying $50 for a one off part. when I supply the CAD. which unfortunately is what most expect to charge for small odd jobs. This time I was actually going to try just getting a small piece of stock and grinding it down myself as an exercise. I see what some people on here are capable of with a grinder and want to see what I can do..

Andy

Back