• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Another New Puma Test - 500W 320RPM - 13 min Video

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
foook me did you see that go? !!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

i have to go and change my pants im that excited about getting one of these!!
you da man paul, you da man.

cheers

D

Quite the screamer....

what's "pre exclusive to Team Hybrid" mean? Currently available elsewhere but soon won't be?

hey xy,

it's just the font paul has used "pre" is actually "are" - look again.

knoxie, tyre looks a little bald in the middle?

cheers

D

Looking good, seems much louder than the older puma I have here at equivilent voltage (or higher, mine is 82v nominal). Is that actually true, or does the camera add a few decibels? Seems about the same speedwise (bearing in mind mine is in a 24" wheel.)
Mark actually DOESN'T have these in stock for sale yet he told me earlier, he will have a couple more controllers in the next batch for further testing, and only 1 other of these new motors (the 250rpm). Shame, I was keen to get one and try it against the older motors...

deecanio said:
hey xy,

Guess I can't even understand you Brit's typing.... :lol:

heheh :D

D

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=854355989841027869

Bit higher res on Google video, Mark has had me test them so he knows which ones to get, the 320 is certainly the kiddy for 37V as well, the tyres is wearing quick! I use the BMX for errands and the like, it does get used and it lays down some mean power hence the tyre wear!

Glad you enjoyed, I will post the GPS piccie later so you can see the difference, I think the controller is limiting the current so it may well be a little quicker on the Xlyte but for how long?

I am happy with that setup! a good compromise, the factory have tested them at 72V!

Of for some food, back later.

Cheers

Knoxie

xyster said:
deecanio said:
hey xy,

You have funny eyes as well as funny ears? :lol:

Jozzer said:
xyster said:
deecanio said:
hey xy,

You have funny eyes as well as funny ears? :lol:

I think I'm the unwitting product of a DNA laboratory experiment from the 60's gone bad. Or maybe aliens abducted me and I just don't remember. :shock: :D

Knoxie,

A class job on the camera as always. I have two 36V LifePO4 packs in the post and because of your video, I can't believe I am now contemplating trying my shiny new Puma at 72V before it's turned at 36!

Of the three hubs you tested, which would you recommend for a 26" wheel, considering hill climb ability over top speed on 36V ?

Many thanks,

Ian

Hello Ian

Well to be honest the 320 RPM motor climbed as well as the others? very strange but had a higher top end, so yes the 320 RPM motor is the one that I would go for.

If the weather gets a bit better I will do some more testing of the new Puma motor and 320 and get it on video, I would like to take it off road somewhere as that is the ultimate test me thinks!

There are some woods quite near me, I must get to them before they get too muddy and give it a try!

Cheers

Knoxie

Hi Knoxie!

Good to see you're alive and well and still exploring new ebike frontiers.

I'm thinking about putting one of the Pumas in a folding Montague (I see Team Hybrid's selling these now as well). Just wanted to check with you on the noise level from these motors. Ideally I'd like a machine that's as quiet as possible. I know that camera microphones tend to exaggerate noise, so can you give me some idea of the subjective noise level? I'd also be interested to hear which is the quietest ebike system you've ever come across? No rush, I know you've got lots of toys to play with, I mean test, first :D

knoxie said:
Hello Ian

Well to be honest the 320 RPM motor climbed as well as the others? very strange but had a higher top end, so yes the 320 RPM motor is the one that I would go for.

If the weather gets a bit better I will do some more testing of the new Puma motor and 320 and get it on video, I would like to take it off road somewhere as that is the ultimate test me thinks!

There are some woods quite near me, I must get to them before they get too muddy and give it a try!

Cheers

Knoxie

Hi Knoxie,
Whenits 320rpm is that the freewheel speed? or max speed? whats the freewheel speed like?

I keep having wikid thoughts every day....

320 rpm x 2 in 26" with 2 c-lyte 35a controllers...

its a good thought... but also a downright scarey one heheh

Malcolm said:
Hi Knoxie!

Good to see you're alive and well and still exploring new ebike frontiers.

I'm thinking about putting one of the Pumas in a folding Montague (I see Team Hybrid's selling these now as well). Just wanted to check with you on the noise level from these motors. Ideally I'd like a machine that's as quiet as possible. I know that camera microphones tend to exaggerate noise, so can you give me some idea of the subjective noise level? I'd also be interested to hear which is the quietest ebike system you've ever come across? No rush, I know you've got lots of toys to play with, I mean test, first :D

Hi Malc,

was just taking a look at your beautiful bike the other day again, lovely piece of kit.
not sure how paul rates the new pumas on noise but definately the camera exagerates the noise hell of a lot - i can tell you that my version causes me no problem at all, in fact it's true to say that my bike is quieter now thanin its original form!! no chain slapping just quietly whizzes along, you've seen the forest where i ride well i can go past people walking their dogs under power and they dont raise an eyebrow, the tyres make more noise than the motor anyway :) the montague is a nice looking bike too - are you going to log your build?

Ian, 72v baby yeh!!!!
hehehe, you've ordered some cracking batteries there mate, should make for a very tasty setup - truly X5/puma 72v lipo is in fashion !!!! hehe.

cheers

D

Thanks D

Yes, the motorbike's still going strong, but I've been thinking for some time that I'd get more use out of a good ebike. I've toyed with ideas for a bottom bracket drive but can't find the right motor gearbox combo, so keep on coming back to the Puma. Really good to hear that your bike is so quiet. It'll be awhile yet before I can get away with buying more toys, but I'll definitely post some build photos.

Yes that'll be great,

If you have to hold on for a bit you should see a lot more puma's running at 72v then make a better decision, personally i think the montague and a puma would be a great combo although i'm not sure where you would put the batteries?
Paul may post some more video too - problem is filming from the bike itself, you nead a 2nd person to get a true sound.
Once i'm up and running again i will post some vids for you, cameras on the bike are too sensative but i'll get the wife to film so you can hear - or not hear.
In my thread theres a vid of me in the forest, if you subtract the music you can hear that the birds are making more noise than my bike!!!

cheers

D

Hi Malcolm

Got a reply coming for you but it includes a picture than I havent finished yet :lol:

Here is the answer to your question DC

Attachments

• PUMA CONTROLLER DIMENSIONS.jpg
    PUMA CONTROLLER DIMENSIONS.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,795
Hi Malcolm

Ok yes the video really doesnt do it justice, it isnt loud at all, the camera is mounted on the bars, it sounds way noisier than it really is, people dont really hear it when I am going along, the X5 motor I have is noisier and that has no gears?

Yes I have loads to play with here at the moment and loads of time as I am off work in between jobs so no excuses from me at all! ha ha, Puma is a good choice in any wheel to be honest, I use one everyday at 37V in a 26 inch wheel with 1 x lipo pack, great range easy do 30 miles (any more and my neck aches too much!!) ha ha with a little peddling of course.

Hope your machine is still running ok, tried any burnouts yet :lol:

malcsmoker.jpg

Good to hear from you again!

Knoxie

cheers knoxie,
it's a little wider than the xlyte, maybe 20mm but i can incorporate that into the seat design, everything else is near enough the same as the xlyte.
that's just what i needed - can crack on now and prep for the new controller then i'm out on the bike again!! cannot wait, haven't ridden it in months :D

cheers

D

BiGH said:
knoxie said:
Hello Ian

Cheers

Knoxie

Hi Knoxie,
Whenits 320rpm is that the freewheel speed? or max speed? whats the freewheel speed like?

I keep having wikid thoughts every day....

320 rpm x 2 in 26" with 2 c-lyte 35a controllers...

its a good thought... but also a downright scarey one heheh

Hi

The 320RPM speed is not the freewheel speed, its the loaded RPM at 35A so the factory said, the freewheel speed is much higher, you can see from the video! it is more than likely in the 80mph range like the BMX maybe even more as it is a higher RPM motor than the native BMX wheel.

Weather is a little Rubbish today which is a shame as I do fancy another pop about at 72V, with video.

Cheers

Knoxie

Great to hear you confirm that the Puma's so quiet. Part of the appeal of an electric vehicle for me is being able to sneak up on people and yell "Booo!". :twisted:

Fame at last – sharing a frame with Killacycle and Bill Dube, although not exactly in their finest hour. He obviously didn't heed your advice about wearing a helmet!

Enjoy your time off!

Hi M8

Yes its quiet! if people dont look around when you come up behind them then its quiet enough, I have an old normal bike with a chainset that makes more noise and people always turn around!

Yes it may well have been Mr Dubes last outing, he was lucky indeed!!

Oh yes enjoying the time off 8)

Cheers

Knoxie

Hi,
Just need some advice on these Puma motors, I've have only just come across them.
I am looking for a small(ish) hub (front) motor to use in a flatbar road bike (carbon forks). Looking to be as stealth as possible, so only 36 (or 24) volt LiPo, and speed of around 35 kph.
Also wanting as light weight as possible, without getting an aenemic motor, or one thats gonna fall apart.
My goal is to go fairly lightweight, well under 20 kg's.
reading through the posts, there are 3 versions?
So looking for a recommendation for my project, or if anyone knows of any other motor that would suit, I would appreciate it.
Rob

for saftey's sake just put it in teh rear stays.

carbon won't handle the weight / torque of the motors well.

I too have the dream of a flat bar road bike style electric too. There is a reason however that you need steal / very high quality alu with torque arms. you'd probably find most motors that give good performance would rip carbon forks in two (back me up here guys?)

these motors break alu forks!

the only motors on the kinds of bikes you're looking at i'm aware of would be elations and cyclone style chain drive ones.

The elation V2 shows a lot of promise - and the creator is on the boards.

finally - where abouts in melbourne are u? i'm also in melb! we've got myself and 3 other members in victoria - you make #4

Back