Anyone able to help a clueless guy install turn signals on their bike?

Jurb

10 µW
Untitled-1.jpg

Hi there, I recently got a robocycle 3, and while so far it has been a great car-replacement, going grocery shopping with my partners and stuff, I feel like a bike with that sort of horsepower needs some more safety features to it. Mainly, I'm looking to install some turn signals (front & back) and a brake light that brightens while breaking. I've been looking at These kits on aliexpress, but I'm not sure about compatibility. The seller says that if I can find 8 or 9 pin juliet connectors we should be golden, but the thing is I can't. I'm seeing 11 pin juliet connectors for the cable that runs from the controller to split to the handlebars, which is where the kit would connect apparently.

Any suggestions? The seller on aliexpress says I may not be able to swing it unless I buy his DIY kit and modify it, he says the white pin (?) on an 11 pin connector is usually for the brake, but I have no idea what he means by this. I was hoping for the brake light but if I can't than I guess the next best thing for me would be to get one of those wireless kits on amazon or something?

Thanks very much. Sorry for being so clueless.

Attachments

• signal-2023-10-05-160907.jpeg
    signal-2023-10-05-160907.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 6
  • signal-2023-10-05-012244_002.jpeg
    signal-2023-10-05-012244_002.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 4
  • signal-2023-10-04-121811.jpeg
    signal-2023-10-04-121811.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 4
  • signal-2023-10-04-121809.jpeg
    signal-2023-10-04-121809.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 2
  • signal-2023-10-04-122207.jpeg
    signal-2023-10-04-122207.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 4
You already have turn and brake signals. Use them; they don't malfunction or fail.

bicycle-hand-signals.jpg

You already have turn and brake signals. Use them; they don't malfunction or fail.

bicycle-hand-signals.jpg
I do definitely use hand signal as well, but I think it would help, especially since where I live it gets dark pretty early, to have lights as well.

I recently wired a similar kit on my ebike.

In essence what you need to find is which pin is ground (GND) and which is V+ (after the power on/off switch but if not battery + wire can be used)
That will give you headlight/horn (if included) rear light and turn signals(not the brake light yet).

For the brake light you would need an ebrake and those normally operate the controller as well which in my case presents a problem.

I can either have the ebrakes turn off the motor or switch the stop lights on but not do both without extra work. In order to get both functions to work with the ebrakes I need to add an additional 2 wire line to each ebrake and install an ebrake kit sold on eBay/Amazon etc. Those kits are meant for turning a normal brake lever to an ebrake lever...

Ebrake kit
I think your lights look much better that the one I purchased because the turn signals on mine are impossible to see in real life scenario. I don't recommend buying what I bought but when it comes to wiring I think the principle is the same.

@Chalo That's funny and well done 👍

Last edited:
I recently wired a similar kit on my ebike.

In essence what you need to find is which pin is ground (GND) and which is V+ (after the power on/off switch but if not battery + wire can be used)
That will give you headlight/horn (if included) rear light and turn signals(not the brake light yet).

For the brake light you would need an ebrake and those normally operate the controller as well which in my case presents a problem.

I can either have the ebrakes turn off the motor or switch the stop lights on but not do both without extra work. In order to get both functions to work with the ebrakes I need to add an additional 2 wire line to each ebrake and install an ebrake kit sold on eBay/Amazon etc. Those kits are meant for turning a normal brake lever to an ebrake lever...

Ebrake kit
I think your lights look much better that the one I purchased because the turn signals on mine are impossible to see in real life scenario. I don't recommend buying what I bought but when it comes to wiring I think the principle is the same.

@Chalo That's funny and well done 👍
Thanks for the details! I'm not very savvy with electrical stuff, is there a way to determine what pin is what without a diagram or something? I doubt the guys i bought the bike from will tell me component details.

Is it possible to get something that can intercept this connection here (img attached)? It's the cable running to the brake levers, so I'm assuming it gets the signal that I'm braking to cut the motor off?

Attachments

• signal-2023-10-06-165123.jpeg
    signal-2023-10-06-165123.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the details! I'm not very savvy with electrical stuff, is there a way to determine what pin is what without a diagram or something? I doubt the guys i bought the bike from will tell me component details.

Is it possible to get something that can intercept this connection here (img attached)? It's the cable running to the brake levers, so I'm assuming it gets the signal that I'm braking to cut the motor off?
I actually think that this particular cable is not going to make a difference for connecting the lights.

How it usually works is that the controller provides on one of the pins Gnd(0V) and when you press the brake lever it connects the second pin to the first pin. The controller knows that the lever is pressed because both pins are now Gnd. It's like a momentary switch/button - from off to on and then back to off again.

You will not find the voltage you need to run the lights on those 2 pins. It's also unlikely that you would be able to route the brake lights to trigger through the same cable when you press the lever.
It's best to think of them as 2 separate systems: you would run a separate 2 wire cable to the lever and install the brake kit I mentioned earlier.
That would be your first step

To test you need a multimeter. If we are still "on the same page" you need to find the 2 pins you need on the 9 pin connector V+ and ground. They should measure on your voltmeter the same voltage as your battery voltage.

Can you also post photos of the tail light connectors ? Did they have instructions?
Mine came with a wiring harness that looked like a mess but normally they are colour coded and also the connectors are made to be one possible way to plug things together

Actually I think what I wrote above may not be necessary true.

You may be able to use the same cable if it's not wired like mine. In my case the throttle was wired together with the ebrake. In your case you may have separate ebrake and throttle signals which if it is you may be able to activate both with the same cable.

To test this you probably need to wire the tail light and headlight with turn signals and leave the ebrake wiring last.

Use a multimeter and try to find on the 9 pin connector which two pins give a reading that's the same range as your battery voltage. You will need those to power the lights you bought

Actually I think what I wrote above may not be necessary true.

You may be able to use the same cable if it's not wired like mine. In my case the throttle was wired together with the ebrake. In your case you may have separate ebrake and throttle signals which if it is you may be able to activate both with the same cable.

To test this you probably need to wire the tail light and headlight with turn signals and leave the ebrake wiring last.

Use a multimeter and try to find on the 9 pin connector which two pins give a reading that's the same range as your battery voltage. You will need those to power the lights you bought
You're a legend, thank you! I'll try to gather the tools and give it a try. I appreciate your help! If I can't figure it out I may just go for one of those Bluetooth ones online, I hear their actually not bad. Only loss is the active brake light there.

YouTube has plenty of videos showing how to wire up turn signals. I have linked to one below, but there are many more. I went for bullet motorcycle indicators To keep the theme of my bike.

B083D731-29C3-4ABC-8691-352BC0DC7DF2.jpeg

YouTube has plenty of videos showing how to wire up turn signals. I have linked to one below, but there are many more. I went for bullet motorcycle indicators To keep the theme of my bike.

View attachment 340636
wow beautiful bike! love the colours, looks sweet, mind sharing your specs as well?

It’s an early Michael Blast Greaser (2015) in Hunter Green.

Bafang SWX02 (10), oil cooled with 60ml ATF and LM35 temperature sensor feeding 3 1/2 digit, 2 volt LED voltmeter as temperature display. Two torque arms.

KT 12 FET 48 volt, 30 amp sensored controller inside the fuel tank, together with all of the other electronics. KT LCD03 display.

In frame 52v 20AH 40 amp battery with custom battery box. 5 amp charger.

Twin 30 calibre ammo box panniers.

Additional lighting, horn and indicators. Motor temperature alarm set at 100C, motor temperature trip set at 110C.

Currently running at 1500 watts at 80 degrees centigrade and 30mph. 33 mph hot off the charger with 29” outside wheel diameter.

Range 20 to 25 miles.

Total mileage = 2200 miles

Standard Tektro 2 pot callipers and discs, 180mm front, 160mm rear. Stopping power from top speed to zero is dubious due to the weight of the bike, so I don’t want it to go any faster than 30 mph, or I will kill myself.

Last edited:
Back