Anyone have aggressive confontations with pedestrians?

Passing someone at 20mph or a sidewalk or non-motor path is being a dick. I'm a longtime cyclist and I'd still strongly consider clotheslining you if I heard you closing at that speed.

Get a bell and use it. And for cripe's sake, slow down when passing people on foot. It's not like you're using actual effort to speed up again.

I fourth+ the use of a bell and passing those unaware slowly, especially when they have a dog. Once in a while someone will hear a bell and sort of panic, dance around like they are on fire. This is why you have to pass slowly.

Some people somehow refuse to leash their dogs while out and about. I take that opportunity to stop (because if I don't I'll end up running over the dog) and educate. Most will look at the sounding of a bell, and then keep their dog close as you pass. I've never had a bad experience while slowly passing walkers and using a bell. I often bow my head and say thank you as I pass. I don't know if this helps, but I am sure it doesn't hurt.

It's great to be prepare for every situation, I don't know what I would have done in your shoes, but I hope I would have been polite and disarm him with kindness.

Recently had a kid say "watch where you are going" b/c he was too distracted texting to pay attention to where he was walking. Here is the kicker, his two buddies were walking 3 abreast beside him and wouldn't move out the way from a 5mph approach. Living in the south, we have to deal w/ many fatherless children who haven't been taught better. That's about as politically correct as I can put it. :roll:

It's great to see the Dawinesk consequences of what happens to these people when they think it's everyone else responsibility to get out of their, slow, way. Shouldn't have said anything and let nature thin the herd at a future date.

bowlofsalad said:
I fourth+ the use of a bell and passing those unaware slowly, especially when they have a dog. Once in a while someone will hear a bell and sort of panic, dance around like they are on fire. This is why you have to pass slowly.

Some people somehow refuse to leash their dogs while out and about. I take that opportunity to stop (because if I don't I'll end up running over the dog) and educate. Most will look at the sounding of a bell, and then keep their dog close as you pass. I've never had a bad experience while slowly passing walkers and using a bell. I often bow my head and say thank you as I pass. I don't know if this helps, but I am sure it doesn't hurt.

It's great to be prepare for every situation, I don't know what I would have done in your shoes, but I hope I would have been polite and disarm him with kindness.

I would've backed up, apologized and promised not to do in the future as I personally know that going 20mph on a sidewalk with others walking their dog is simply very inconsiderate and dangerous.

Heck, I'm pretty sure I'll NEVER be in *that* kind of situation simply because I think of others.

mat h physics said:
Recently had a kid say "watch where you are going" b/c he was too distracted texting to pay attention to where he was walking. Here is the kicker, his two buddies were walking 3 abreast beside him and wouldn't move out the way from a 5mph approach. Living in the south, we have to deal w/ many fatherless children who haven't been taught better. That's about as politically correct as I can put it. :roll:

It's great to see the Dawinesk consequences of what happens to these people when they think it's everyone else responsibility to get out of their, slow, way. Shouldn't have said anything and let nature thin the herd at a future date.

Gangs are a different kind of situation, as whichever party has more people ultimately determine who's 'right', regardless of consideration or politeness or what's 'normally right'. And that's because as much as civility seems to be one of humanity's inventions, power underlies pretty much every situation in the 'real world'. Whether that be financial power, "My weapons are more powerful than yours" power or "I got more people than you" power.

It's one of the reasons why the USA is the world's bully, because it has financial and military power others don't.

That is, in the real world, animalistic rules are the only true rules.

I have still never had any confrontation with pedestrians, to stay on topic. I wonder that myself. Here pedestrians are nice. No gangs, no shouters, 99,99% they walk on the right nicely.
If there have been some problems, it has always been other cyclists, usually children. Just yesterday i managed to pass a gang of seven children on small bicycles, everyone of them riding all over the path. One was right on the left edge of the path, few on the middle wobbling here and there, and two on right edge of the path. You have to slow down on walking speed to get past those squadrons, and still it"s bit dangerous for all. They totally concentrate on their riding, outside world is closed away. Even dog people usually behave with their dogs.
Bicycle is really starting to get some real respect now. One town here anounced today it"s plans to build town full of bicycle-only fast paths, that offer right-of-way on every intersection, bicyclist always has the green light. Bicyclists are slowly getting higher status than pedestrians. During the eighties bicycles were a joke here, everyone had a car. Big change in twenty plus years.
All this in a country that is basically covered by the snow half of the year. I bet things are gonna go on this direction in USA too more and more. Cars are just out.
Tomorrow"s drive-in McDonalds means it"s for bicycles only :mrgreen:

deffx said:
I went to McDonalds drive through on my ebike and they wouldn't serve me, a bit of pleading and please worked that time. Being half cut probably didnt help.

Never tried again :D
Most drive through windows here have signs stating no service to pedestrians at the drive through window. This usually applies to bicycles also. :x
They probably do not want people getting run over by drivers getting food late at night when the dining room is closed. :wink:

I think the closest I ever came to this was when a guy walking with his family on the multi-use path and taking up most of it, ignored our warning bell and voices and refused to move further to the right so we could pass, insisting that pedestrians have the right of way and don't need to yield for bikes (he was apparently presuming the multi-use path was subject to the rules governing standard city sidewalks). By far the biggest problem I encounter on multi-use paths is people with earbuds--whether they be walkers, runners, in-line skaters, or even cyclists. Many have their music turned up so loud that you'd have to fire a gun next to them to get their attention. We had a case where, coming up behind a group of pedestrians, and despite repeated bell ringing followed by verbal warnings that we were passing, we had one lady with earbuds in and music apparently blaring, nonetheless step right in front of us. We had slowed down enough that we were able to brake and keep from hitting her.

We never pass without issuing at least one warning ring from our bell--sometimes several--and, if that elicits no response, verbal warnings, as we approach, that we intend to pass. As to speed, I keep my hands on the brake levers when passing until I get a clear acknowledgment of our warnings. I slow down when passing only if I see an unleashed dog near the path. I'll sometimes let my hands off the brake levers when passing if I've gotten a clear acknowledgment of our warnings.

I may have passed someone at 20 mph or slightly more if I'm certain they've seen me coming. The thing I don't see an acknowledgment of in this thread, however, and one that needs to be recognized, is the role electric assist plays in attaining speed. Certainly anyone whose assist system allows them to attain speeds of 20 mph or greater must be especially cautious of non-motorized path users. The bulk of experiences I reference above were on non-assisted bicycles. But given the way I currently use assist--which is only for help getting up hills, and the fact that my top assisted speed is less than 10 mph--I don't see that my scenario falls under the extra caution stipulations that apply to more high-powered assist set-ups.

The fingers said:
Most drive through windows here have signs stating no service to pedestrians at the drive through window. This usually applies to bicycles also. :x
They probably do not want people getting run over by drivers getting food late at night when the dining room is closed. :wink:

It's perceived as a high percentage of robberies occurring from walkups to the drivethrough window. Not sure how refusing service would lower the possibility.

wayover13 said:
As to speed, I keep my hands on the brake levers when passing until I get a clear acknowledgment of our warnings. I slow down when passing only if I see an unleashed dog near the path. I'll sometimes let my hands off the brake levers when passing if I've gotten a clear acknowledgment of our warnings.

I may have passed someone at 20 mph or slightly more if I'm certain they've seen me coming. The thing I don't see an acknowledgment of in this thread, however, and one that needs to be recognized, is the role electric assist plays in attaining speed. Certainly anyone whose assist system allows them to attain speeds of 20 mph or greater must be especially cautious of non-motorized path users. The bulk of experiences I reference above were on non-assisted bicycles. But given the way I currently use assist--which is only for help getting up hills, and the fact that my top assisted speed is less than 10 mph--I don't see that my scenario falls under the extra caution stipulations that apply to more high-powered assist set-ups.

I was given this advice by a user here on this forum, and I recommend this as well to all cyclists, ebike or otherwise, really anyone, to cover their breaks while in motion with zero exceptions. I saw a video some time ago about someones invention for an automobile gas pedal that had the break pedal that was operated with the twisting motion of your ankle, so your foot twisting to the right would make you break instead of taking your foot off the gas and then stepping on the brake. This meant you basically always had your brakes covered, faster starting of braking could result in a very different outcome of either not colliding with something entirely, or hitting it at a much slower speed.

When crossing paths with children or animals, even when they see me and are going on the opposite direction, in a situation involving a multi-use paths or whatever, always slow way down, 5-10 mph tops. A careless pet owner might accidentally let go of their dog and he could leap in front of you, a child could fall or do who knows what. Obviously, stay as far over as you reasonably can, but this is a very wise way to play it safe. These ideas don't just apply to people with ebikes. Sure, it might be easy to shrug off hitting someones clumsy kid or running over an excited dog, but I wouldn't want to be in that situation no matter who's fault or responsibility it was.

Around my area there is a persistent problem with kids speeding on mountian trails with downhill bikes and creating safety issues. Recently a horse rider was seriously injured after the horse was spooked by a fast moving bike. The biker rider left the scene of the accident. Crap like this makes it harder for all bikers.

Several times I've come up behind pedestrians who were blocking the entire path and refused to get out of the way. One time I just crawled along at walking speed behind them for a couple of minutes until there was a wide spot in the trail.

Now I tend to just avoid the heavily travelled trails and find places with fewer people.

speedmd said:
On my road bike I pull in the shifters and then let them slap back against the brake levers.

With my bikes that don't have bells (most of them), I'll clack the brake levers (pull them in a bit and then let them snap back out by themselves) after slowing and drawing close to an oblivious ped. If they haven't got earbuds in, that usually lets them know I'm back there.

People who walk with earbuds must be like free sample trays for muggers.

My wife's utility bike has an incredibly loud freewheel and an aluminum spoke protector that resonates it. She just stops pedaling and it works like a charm. Not only is the sound instantly recognizable, but folks have an idea of direction and range even before they turn to see her.

All the posts reinforce my opinion that multi-use pathways are dangerous places to ride. It might be ok for a leisurely very low speed spin, but I ride to get from point A to point B and decades of driving puts me at ease in the predictability of cars. I've been dodging the idiots for this long, and it's even easier on an ebike because I need so much less width and I maintain much more space than while driving. Pathways generally have more unpredictable traction conditions, and traction issues at low speed account and one small darting dog account for the 6 times I've been down. Give me a road with an adequate crown that all the crap goes to the edges and enough speed and acceleration to claim any part of the lane I require. Peds, dogs, kids, skateboarders, skaters, and surface conditions are all too unpredictable for me on paths or sidewalks.

Chalo said:
My wife's utility bike has an incredibly loud freewheel and an aluminum spoke protector that resonates it. She just stops pedaling and it works like a charm. Not only is the sound instantly recognizable, but folks have an idea of direction and range even before they turn to see her.

I heard one incredibly loud FW down here on a roadie's bike. For a bike that's always pedaled it makes a lot of sense. What brand is the one on your wife's bike? I may have to get one of those for a very low power electric assist bike I'm building for exercise. A bell seems more friendly, but being instantly recognizable by the sound alone, and having a sound that makes you seem closer than you are due to higher than normal volume makes a lot of sense. When I heard that guy coast I couldn't believe someone would tolerate that racket, but you have me thinking it's intentional and a good idea. :idea: Another benefit is that it would force me to pedal too.

Too bad playing cards in the spokes isn't still in style. :mrgreen:

When I heard that guy coast I couldn't believe someone would tolerate that racket, but you have me thinking it's intentional and a good idea. :idea: Another benefit is that it would force me to pedal too.

Too bad playing cards in the spokes isn't still in style. :mrgreen:

Was thinking the cards also. :lol: My new 2012 campy wheels were loud as hell at first rides. Shorter alloy spokes and lightened alloy rims rang like a bell. After a few days of listening to this thinking dogs were going to jump out of the bushes at me, I pulled it apart and packed the freehub with a few extra dabs of grease. I only ride trails when the younger family members are around and my cool downs where I coast much I typically want as silent as possible.

John in CR said:
Chalo said:

I heard one incredibly loud FW down here on a roadie's bike. For a bike that's always pedaled it makes a lot of sense. What brand is the one on your wife's bike? I may have to get one of those for a very low power electric assist bike I'm building for exercise.

My wife's bike has a 5-speed 14-38 Suntour AG freewheel that hasn't been commercially available for 30 years. By dumb luck it happens to index perfectly with a Shimano 6-speed shifter and derailleur. I don't think the mechanism is inherently louder than normal; I think that the huge sprockets and metal pie plate turn the thing into a "Dobro" freewheel.

Super loud cassette ratchets are a fashion trend kicked off by Chris King and Hugi hubs a while back. Now it seems that your froofy road bike wheels aren't legit unless they make a huge racket when you coast.

Chalo said:
Super loud cassette ratchets are a fashion trend kicked off by Chris King and Hugi hubs a while back. Now it seems that your froofy road bike wheels aren't legit unless they make a huge racket when you coast.

I've passed multitude of bikes, and commonly run across them coasting slowing for red lights, and I've only heard the one that was louder than normal. Are there any brands that are loud but economical? The louder and more annoying it is, the more I'll pedal, and it's a nice warning "Look out, here I come on a bike."

John

Deep teeth and tight springs will make any of them louder if there is just a touch of grease in them. If you want louder, just take the grease out of it and go to a light oil. If you can get a heavier spring do that also. The new campy was much louder than my hugi. The large drive flange made for some short spokes also and they are hard aluminum to boot. It is reasonably quite with the added grease now.

If your lazy like me, just wash it out a bit from the back of the freewheel, dropping in some wd40 into the seem (lockring side down) while spinning it. It will get a much crisper sounding after most of the grease washes out.

fechter said:
Around my area there is a persistent problem with kids speeding on mountian trails with downhill bikes and creating safety issues. Recently a horse rider was seriously injured after the horse was spooked by a fast moving bike. The biker rider left the scene of the accident. Crap like this makes it harder for all bikers.

Several times I've come up behind pedestrians who were blocking the entire path and refused to get out of the way. One time I just crawled along at walking speed behind them for a couple of minutes until there was a wide spot in the trail.

Now I tend to just avoid the heavily travelled trails and find places with fewer people.
I have a good neighbor who rides horses daily and I always slow down when approaching her on horseback. Electric bicycles spook the crap out of them creatures. We have to always be courteous to pedestrians else lose our right to be on the path with them. It is still better than being on the highway with a crazy cell phone lady behind you.

The front brake started sweaking again and is my favorite. The noise of a sweakie brake is great to let them know you're coming. I live So.Cal next to the beach but only seen a few powerful ebikes. Help and sundays at the free concert we all drink beer ad wine in the park. Can't do that north or south of here. I'm half way between L.A. and san deigo.

Front brake squeeking, well I guess so. Don't be moving very fast and have to stop short, though.

I can't physically make what I'm going to say, but I'm going to say it anyway. Maybe this is a sound card type application perhaps. Instead of a bell or a horn, have a speaker. Make it whistle. Push a button and the speaker whistles, "Trailer for sale or rent". If they don't move over, push the button again, "Rooms to let fifty cent". If they don't move then, push the button and it sings the ending:
"I'm a ...man of means by no means…King Of The Road."

That's my idea. You could make an Irish Jig, e.g. The Washerwoman.

Maybe William Tell Overture on a pushbutton, Or the 1812 Overture at the 'cannons' part. Or something from Brandenburg Concertos.

And oh yeah, 5 miles an hour is okay, with fantastic classical music. That would drive them into the ditch,

Dazed and Baffled

John in CR said:
All the posts reinforce my opinion that multi-use pathways are dangerous places to ride. It might be ok for a leisurely very low speed spin, but I ride to get from point A to point B and decades of driving puts me at ease in the predictability of cars. I've been dodging the idiots for this long, and it's even easier on an ebike because I need so much less width and I maintain much more space than while driving. Pathways generally have more unpredictable traction conditions, and traction issues at low speed account and one small darting dog account for the 6 times I've been down. Give me a road with an adequate crown that all the crap goes to the edges and enough speed and acceleration to claim any part of the lane I require. Peds, dogs, kids, skateboarders, skaters, and surface conditions are all too unpredictable for me on paths or sidewalks.

Agreed.

There's a bike path here that says 'bike only' with a dirt walkpath running beside it that I don't take anymore. It has been overtaken by mothers and nannies walking their children and dogs, many off leash and many without attention. I used to give them a little yell when passing (and obviously slowed down), but it would just freak some of them out and they would act VERY unpredictably.

In the street, I can usually predict the type of idiot maneuvers that a driver will make. But you still can't prevent ALL issues that a careless and unattentive driver may bring. The people they give license to in California just amazes me. Some of those people have no business operating an elevator, let alone a car. That's why I prefer to ride on bike-only paths (if they are really bike-only and not just by label) when possible. Any 'accidents' will be between me and (at most) another bike and not a car.

So, being the faster and more dangerous thing on the bike path requires you to operate with more care and responsibility, especially if you are going above normal bike speeds. (Even if an ebike is going the same speed as a Lycra biker, the ebike carries more energy at that speed due to the weight).

People that do not pay attention to other traveler's warning sounds have what's coming to them. (earbuds and walking abreast while talking)

Chalo said:
Passing someone at 20mph or a sidewalk or non-motor path is being a dick. I'm a longtime cyclist and I'd still strongly consider clotheslining you if I heard you closing at that speed.

Get a bell and use it. And for cripe's sake, slow down when passing people on foot. It's not like you're using actual effort to speed up again.

Even though I've met quite a few self-righteous and oblivious pedestrians, I have to agree with this statement (Except I wouldn't clothesline them). Have a friend pass you a 20mph while you're standing still. It won't feel like they're passing you safely and carefully, even though on the bike, it feels like you're going pretty slow. Now, consider how much worse it would be if you weren't expecting it.

It's human nature to respond angrily to anything that startles you. When something is perceived as a potential threat, your body immediately pumps you with fight or flight hormones, even if given 3 seconds, your brain realises that it wasn't all that bad. It's probably best to avoid the situation, and give a friendly "sorry" wave, even if you don't think you were at fault. If you can't avoid the situation, then just try to defuse it.

Back