APT Controller / EV Drive Manager - Boost Time Settings

JPayne

1 µW
Hi,

Looking for some help: I am currently working with a controller i believe is an APT 72400/AE2103 that uses EV Drive Manager for programming/settings. Everything runs and works as normal, but there are some restrictions, mainly that 'Boost Active' setting only lasts for a maximum of 60secs. You can change the settings between 1 and 60 but for some reason there is a cap.

Does anyone know how to change these settings?

Thanks Jym.

Boost uses higher values than normal settings and is on the controllers I know with a cap, because the controller will overheat or even burn if boost is longer applied, but I do not knpw the APT controllers.

Boost is only intended for momentary use, as a "boost". If you need more power for longer, you need a bigger controller intended to handle the required power continuously.

My boost doesn't reset after the time has expired. Does anyone know what this could be?

Does anyone know whether you can make a firmware backup directly from the controller?

Thanks.

Last edited:
My boost doesn't reset after the time has expired. Does anyone know what this could be?
Most likely the motor, controller, or battery is internally overheated, so the controller disallows usage until the temperature drops below some limit (that you probably can't change or see).

Or the controller just disallows it for a certain amount of time (minutes, hours, whatever) to allow the controller, battery, and motor to cool down if it doesn't actually have temperature sensors in them to know what they are (it just assumes they've overheated and wants to guarantee they can cool off enough to not fail or start a fire).

Thanks for your answer. I mean when I press the boost button the controller ignores the boost time and is always on. I can reset it manually by changing the mode. However, I would like the boost to reset after the boost time is up.

That's wierd. Given what the function and timeout is for, I would expect it should not be possible for it to stay on; my guess is there's a bug in the firmware that doesn't reset it. You'd probably have to contact the manufacturer for updated firmware and the procedure to install it to correct that, if they have fixed it.

Another possibility is that the function is incorrectly designed and if the button used is not a momentary switch but rather a latching type, it keeps the function on if the signal keeps being received, regardless of timeout. That's also a bug, but can be worked around by making sure it's a momentary switch, not latching.

If it's definitely momentary and not sticking, then it's either a bug in the feature in the firmware, or the feature does not work the way it "should".

Back