Aptera is gone for good. :'(

ATTENTION

e-mail from aptera

"Aptera Motors Inc.
Thursday December 8, 2011
Greetings!

There have been several recent videos posted on YouTube showing the demolition of a small number of untrimmed Aptera vehicle bodies. The videos were taken approximately eight months ago at Aptera's Oceanside facility, which the company officially exited in May 2011. However, the posters of these videos have tried to portray these clips as an angered response from Aptera employees at the recent closure of the company. These claims are completely false.

The bodies in question were not slated for demolition because on any ill will or malice from any member of the company present or past. These particular 2e's were defective and/or obsolete development properties that no longer had any value to the company. We destroyed the bodies because they were unsafe for use as a vehicle -- with high potential for loss of life if they were involved in a crash. (This is evidenced by the upper body and lower skins separating from each other on impact.)

While the company often engages in technology sharing with academic institutions (area elementary, middle and high schools, universities and museums, we never released vehicle assets that had the potential of being misused and resulting in physical harm or loss of life.

Contrary to the stories that have been written recently, there was no destruction of company property during the closure of Aptera. It is appalling how low journalism in the internet age has sunk in pursuit of sensationalism. In fact, our employees exited the building honorably and professionally. The accusations that have been made to the contrary are insulting and demonstrate the kind of uninformed defamation that diminishes the all of Aptera's efforts and undermines the work of everybody committed to perpetuating clean transportation.

Finally, there are currently seven prototypes of the Aptera 2e concept inside our former headquarters in Carlsbad, Calif. These prototypes reflect every generation of Aptera vehicle body ever created, from the very first tested concept vehicle (built by the founders) to the most recent prototype that was campaigned at the Automotive XPRIZE. An eighth prototype resides at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. Incidentally, none of these vehicles have been damaged in anyway.

Thank you for your support, "

Aptera Marketing
Aptera Motors Inc.

sk8norcal said:

Looking at the first interviewer reminds me of an SNL reference - It's PAT ! :lol:

If we had a body /frame we could use this motor .....

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34497

frame body .... http://www.evalbum.com/2311

2311a.jpg

A shell like this is not real difficult to build. When I was involved building Ocean Race Boats, we would have a use for flat panels, so, we took a sheet of glossy Formica, glued it to a sheet of 3/4" plywood, waxed the hell out of it and laid up fibreglass panels. Then, cut the shapes needed, and glass them at the seams, on the inside. Outside was finished with very little problems.

If I ever get the build my Reverse Trike, this is how I will lay up all the first parts. Then, if I want, use this for the plug to make more, possibly vacuum molded Lexan or whatever is best to work with.

There is NO reason to need Millions of dollars for R&D, with all the smart guys and trade workers on this site.

I would love to be a small part of putting together a Prototype. Building an Aptera Clone would be easy enough. Keep it as a Moto, and, certification should be obtainable for road use.

Harold in CR said:
There is NO reason to need Millions of dollars for R&D, with all the smart guys and trade workers on this site.

I would love to be a small part of putting together a Prototype. Building an Aptera Clone would be easy enough. Keep it as a Moto, and, certification should be obtainable for road use.
Count me in.

(But I'm partial to the Carver1/Persu.)
screen-shot-2009-12-31-at-1.00.18-pm.png

TD, with the expanding foam, these curved panels could be formed the same way as the flat panels. Even use the sheets of block foam board from the BIG BOX STORES.

Shame I can't get that stuff down here. :roll: :roll: However, Balsa trees are culled down here as being a trash tree. There are some Balsa logs laying beside the road, not 1000 yards from where I sit, right now, going to waste. :roll:

sk8norcal said:
starts at 4:15

[youtube]Yiogwm52EzQ[/youtube]
These guys need to be educated....
:roll: Man there is a lot of retards who just don't get it.

It's the first time I ever heard of these two. They look to be pretty knowledgeable about cars and the auto industry. I agree they don't seem to be very EV savvy, they are more into the political aspect of the EV ''revolution''. I don't think they are totally off with what they said might happen politically in the near future regarding EVs. It would be devastating if they are right. But then again, they don't seem like fans of electric. Then they go about how the LA auto show is lacking concept cars :roll: How many concept cars do you expect to see based on fossil fuels. In my mind, concept cars are electric, solar powered, muscle powered or whatever but definitely don't come with a fossil fuel engine.

The thing is what they say about the whole EV thing crumbling, They dont realy know most EVs on the road right now are home build. And the GM fire thing lol they never mentioned the EV1 with how many fires? Its companies like Zero bike and Tesla who will make it happen!

Arlo1 said:
They dont realy know most EVs on the road right now are home build

Yes but what happens if some stupid politicians makes new rules preventing any EVs on the road, by convincing the sheeps of this world that EVs are unsafe with examples of EV fires dating back to the GM EV1s. That is what I'm talking about when I say those guys might have a point. I would be shocked and angry if it happened. But I don't know if I would be surprised. Governments could regulate the crap out of EVs making it too damn difficult for a manufacturer to produce them and make it down right illegal to ride a home built one. It was said before, first they laugh at us, then ignore us, and finally they will fight us. There are signs of big fights coming in some places with governments trying to make it more difficult to travel with EVs. An example here is myself and quite a few people in my town running E-scooters, E-bikes and a few small gas engine bikes. Right now, it's pretty darn great. Low speed but we still get where we have to go in a timely manner, with no need for a license, registrations or insurance. It's green, it's cheap and it's fun! It's paradise right now and we all have a big grins on our faces. But there is talk from some politicians that EV riders should have a license, have registrations and pay for insurance. Lemme tell ya! If that should happen, how much do you think a government will charge you for registering an EV when they know they won't get any tax money from you from burning gasoline? It took 100 years to make people sooo addicted to their fossil fuel vehicles, I don't know if I will see a dramatic change in our life time. As long as there's fossil fuel to be found, not much will change. But some of us won't loose hope, I know I won't. I am setting a good example for my 7 year old son right now. He says that when he grows up, he wants a Mustang..... But it has to be electric :) Change will come, but we won't see it. Until it happens, EVs are for a niche market, just like those guys said. Fine! I'd rather be part of the geeky tree hugers than one of the sheeps.

mistercrash said:
Yes but what happens if some stupid politicians makes new rules preventing any EVs on the road, by convincing the sheeps of this world that EVs are unsafe with examples of EV fires dating back to the GM EV1s. That is what I'm talking about when I say those guys might have a point. I would be shocked and angry if it happened. But I don't know if I would be surprised. Governments could regulate the crap out of EVs making it too damn difficult for a manufacturer to produce them and make it down right illegal to ride a home built one. It was said before, first they laugh at us, then ignore us, and finally they will fight us. There are signs of big fights coming in some places with governments trying to make it more difficult to travel with EVs. An example here is myself and quite a few people in my town running E-scooters, E-bikes and a few small gas engine bikes. Right now, it's pretty darn great. Low speed but we still get where we have to go in a timely manner, with no need for a license, registrations or insurance. It's green, it's cheap and it's fun! It's paradise right now and we all have a big grins on our faces. But there is talk from some politicians that EV riders should have a license, have registrations and pay for insurance. Lemme tell ya! If that should happen, how much do you think a government will charge you for registering an EV when they know they won't get any tax money from you from burning gasoline? It took 100 years to make people sooo addicted to their fossil fuel vehicles, I don't know if I will see a dramatic change in our life time. As long as there's fossil fuel to be found, not much will change. But some of us won't loose hope, I know I won't. I am setting a good example for my 7 year old son right now. He says that when he grows up, he wants a Mustang..... But it has to be electric :) Change will come, but we won't see it. Until it happens, EVs are for a niche market, just like those guys said. Fine! I'd rather be part of the geeky tree hugers than one of the sheeps.
Change will happen and I think I will see it. We just need to educate people. And we need to stick together. Remember northamerica might have a strong hold but the rest of the world thinks in a different way. And as for the rest well They have to catch me and I will fight to the death! It will be a big mess I promise!

First he accused GM of “Kill(ing) the Electric Car.” Then he took “Revenge” and got buddy-buddy with the giant company that created the Chevrolet Volt. But Chris Paine, director of the new documentary, “Revenge of the Electric Car,” hasn’t faced off against our resident EV skeptics. This week John McElroy and Peter De Lorenzo will attempt to navigate the EV hype and get down to the heart of the matter: are electric cars really here to stay?

starts at 22min,

[youtube]W3NfLz_W478[/youtube]

http://www.apteraforum.com/showthread.php?t=4884

http://www.byplug.com/

That Aptera forum thread is a real eye opener. Seems Team B stole millions of $$$ from anywhere they could. Then, spent lots of $$$ on New facilities, expensive office chairs, and other frills.

Would love to see their feet held to the fire in a Court of Law. Probably be defended by BIG 3 :roll: :roll:

Did read though, the original Aptera design was never a part of the NEW Aptera Company. It was never patented or copyrighted. Anyone can copy that design. 8) 8) 8)

For you guys in the area: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/as...e-auctioned-on-december-20-21-2011-2011-12-08

Assets of Concept Electric Vehicle Manufacturer Aptera Motors to Be Auctioned on December 20-21, 2011

As part of the company's liquidation, the auction will be staged from 7 am on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 through 10 am on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 PST

An on-site, open to the public preview will be held on Monday, December 19 from 9 am -- 4 pm PT at the Aptera Motors headquarters located at 2765 Loker Avenue West, Carlsbad, California.

The Aptera auction will provide buyers an opportunity to purchase all manufacturing equipment, including an Instron 5982 tensile tester, elegant office furnishings, computers, and automotive repair, material handling and facility equipment.

"The majority of Aptera's equipment available for auction was purchased in 2010 and is nearly new," said Kirk Dove, Managing Partner of Heritage Global Partners.

nothing about any bodies/vehicles ... will try to get Chipman to go

jmygann said:
nothing about any bodies/vehicles ... will try to get Chipman to go

Bodies and vehicles are in an auction after the first of the year. They say the bodies are bundled with the IP (patents) ... that will make it pricey. May be by another auction house, not sure about who is representing the bodies and IP.

bigmoose said:
...Bodies and vehicles are in an auction after the first of the year. They say the bodies are bundled with the IP (patents) ....

But Harold in CR mentioned ..
...the original Aptera design was never a part of the NEW Aptera Company. It was never patented or copyrighted. Anyone can copy that design. 8) 8) 8)
Was there much difference in the designs ?

Guys working with composites is quite easy! I build some cool carbon fiber things. And a couple fiberglass things. What we need to find is the plastic nurses and doctors use to make casts and splints with. We can then use mild heat and shape it to a body style we like then take a mold off of that!!!

To hillhater, I think both statements are correct. Sort of the "old aptera" and the "new aptera". The "new aptera" run by the GM castoff redesigned about everything, including the composite composition. I believe the original used balsa wood on end for the center core; of course GM was going to redesign that out of the composite, for example.

Also it was posted that the two "old aptera" founders who were fired by the "new aptera" are trying to get an investment group together to buy the "new aptera" IP and car hardware at auction and make it the "new new aptera" and get back to it's roots. The founders are posting on the aptera message board that was previously linked by jmygann. They seem like good guys.

Back