Are used Li-ion a state secret?

Skalabala

1 kW
Hi members.

I am trying to get hold of used Makita packs.. And the manager told me there is NO way that I can have their used/defective packs.
He won't even tell me where they take it for disposal :(

Where do you get your high drain 18650 cells from?
If I had the cash I would just buy new stuff but paying R10000+- to have a battery for my Ebike is not going to happen.

Not having money and wanting a nice Ebike real bad is so sad :( :cry:

Put an ad in your local newspapers' wanted section?

Post want ads on local forums?

Post want ads on local physical bulletin boards?

Stand on street corners "will do silly things for used makita packs"? :lol:

Hehehehe you guys are awesome :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Did phone around and it looks like I am going to struggle to get good cells... By good I mean more than the 1.5ah ones :lol:
I am going to ask on a model RC plane forum for lipo :oops:

Skalabala said:
Hehehehe you guys are awesome :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Did phone around and it looks like I am going to struggle to get good cells... By good I mean more than the 1.5ah ones :lol:
I am going to ask on a model RC plane forum for lipo :oops:

i bet that would be a good place to find used battery packs. i bet they are gonna jump at the chance to have a place to dispose of their packs. should be cheap too.

Ought to charge them, for taking their used lipo.

I did some scavenging here myself, looking for used Makita packs. Most places say they can't give them to you. it's due to the policy that the manufacturer/system has in place for recycling their batteries. They don't want them floating around, being disassembled/hacked.

I did find one local place where the guy was cool and gave them to me a couple times. He thought I was a university student, though I told him I just reuse the good cells on my ebikes.

The local hazardous waste center let me have the laptop packs, though they had some questions. (some people think that lithium could be used for a bomb apparently).

But I've moved on from dealing with scrap batteries. Not worth the time and effort, and additional risk. If that's all you got, then go for it. There is something cool about taking trash (literally, it's from the dump) and building it into a usable battery.

I found one scrap metal website that was offering $0.50/lb for lithium batteries. Seems abnormal. I thought there was no scrap value.

veloman said:
I found one scrap metal website that was offering $0.50/lb for lithium batteries. Seems abnormal. I thought there was no scrap value.

Where do you think UltraFire and similar brands get their "5000mah" and "6000mah" batteries for the ecig types? :)

Most of them, if tested, provide around 1000-1500mah, and an awful lot have new end plates that, when removed, show the weld marks from when the cell was previously used in a pack.

Veloman. That is why I do not want to use my laptop cells... Can't see old laptop cells work with 3C drain :lol:
Got some more info on the Makita pack. They one head office will give me the cells without the casing so it sounds like they do not want you to have the casing.
I also think the Lipo might be the best idea. But I will test them real good before use :D

veloman said:
I did some scavenging here myself, looking for used Makita packs. Most places say they can't give them to you. it's due to the policy that the manufacturer/system has in place for recycling their batteries. They don't want them floating around, being disassembled/hacked.

I did find one local place where the guy was cool and gave them to me a couple times. He thought I was a university student, though I told him I just reuse the good cells on my ebikes.

The local hazardous waste center let me have the laptop packs, though they had some questions. (some people think that lithium could be used for a bomb apparently).

But I've moved on from dealing with scrap batteries. Not worth the time and effort, and additional risk. If that's all you got, then go for it. There is something cool about taking trash (literally, it's from the dump) and building it into a usable battery.

I had the exact same experience, and same conclusion. I think you need a friend on the inside to get past the policies.

Back