Arkmundi's saga making & maintaining an A123 AMP20 battery

i applaud your desire to teach about ebikes.

i worry about what you are teaching them

it sounds like you have built a bike that does not meet legal requirements. your bike surely must go faster than 20mph. you dont need a 48v 20ah battery for this speed??

perhaps i am misunderstanding this.

the local bike shops where i live dont sell more than 250w motors for fear anything faster will be a liability.

even with your accident, the drivers lawyer would have a field day if your bike was not fully legal and even possesed the abilty to go faster than 20mph

you need to teach whats legL , not what can be built

take care

gzmann said:
i applaud your desire to teach about ebikes.

it sounds like you have built a bike that does not meet legal requirements. your bike surely must go faster than 20mph. you dont need a 48v 20ah battery for this speed??

perhaps i am misunderstanding this.

the local bike shops where i live dont sell more than 250w motors for fear anything faster will be a liability.

even with your accident, the drivers lawyer would have a field day if your bike was not fully legal and even possesed the abilty to go faster than 20mph

you need to teach whats legL , not what can be built

take care

Nonsense, as it could be build for off road and i'm sure that he would bring up legal restriction regulations up. it is the process and knowledge in electronics, fabrication that matters most.

Nonsense you say??

You teach my child in an educational institution on how to build a bike ( and order parts) and help him build a bike that you knowingly will not be used on the offroad and is illegal on the street---( really 30mph on the off-road -- are you kidding me??)
and my child gets in an accident on the road with this bike=== i will sue the teachers ass off!!!

I have not heard about what happened to his lawsuit for the driver that hit him??
Perhaps he realized that driving AN ILLEGAL BIKE ON THE STREET -- was his fault, whether or not the driver hit him ??
If you are driving a vehicle that is not licensed for the street and get in an accident ==IT IS YOUR FAULT NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENED

Just a friendly reminder to be careful what you teach!!!

Hi gzmann

I personally beleive your sentiments are misplaced, and your attitude stifles innovation, learning, and practical skills and basically is a sad sad indictment of modern, city-dwelling, self-entitled people's attitudes.

I run an e-bike business BTW.

Joe

gzmann said:
Nonsense you say??

You teach my child in an educational institution on how to build a bike ( and order parts) and help him build a bike that you knowingly will not be used on the offroad and is illegal on the street---( really 30mph on the off-road -- are you kidding me??)
and my child gets in an accident on the road with this bike=== i will sue the teachers ass off!!!

I have not heard about what happened to his lawsuit for the driver that hit him??
Perhaps he realized that driving AN ILLEGAL BIKE ON THE STREET -- was his fault, whether or not the driver hit him ??
If you are driving a vehicle that is not licensed for the street and get in an accident ==IT IS YOUR FAULT NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENED

Just a friendly reminder to be careful what you teach!!!

Excactly, your children, which are your responsibility, not someone elses. If you dont have time for your own kids, to teach them responsibility, blame on yourself. Stupid remark by you. I think you are one of those who thinks the world is spinning around them. Wake up, get real and start posting something usefull !

Agnuisn

Do you have no idea what i am trying to say?? i didnt think anyone could not figure it out?

You can not teach people to build something that is technically illegal -- even if you say " it is offroad" - which it clearly is not!

It is like teaching students how to make a pressure cooker bomb - but saying dont do this because it is illegal, but i just wanted to teach them chemistry!!

I am responsible for my children -- dont insult me and my children!! You clearly do not care what your children are taught- but i do.

gzmann said:
Agnuisn

Do you have no idea what i am trying to say?? i didnt think anyone could not figure it out?

You can not teach people to build something that is technically illegal -- even if you say " it is offroad" - which it clearly is not!

It is like teaching students how to make a pressure cooker bomb - but saying dont do this because it is illegal, but i just wanted to teach them chemistry!!

I am responsible for my children -- dont insult me and my children!! You clearly do not care what your children are taught- but i do.

Gee man, you're over your head. Is it illegal to carry firearms and explosives in many countries? Yes, it is. Is it illegal to build vehicles for any purpose with any components? NO!
You teach your kids whats right and whats wrong, not someone else. If your kid does something illegal its your responsibility and law enforcement will be knocking on your door.

You still do not get it do you??

I am saying, that in an educational institution, one can not teach students to build things that are illegal to put on the road. The class would be called -- " How to build a street ebike " I presume - why else would you have a class on ebikes?? Your class would be called -- "How to build illegal ebikes " would it?????

By teaching kids to build an ebike which is not legal, the eduactional institutuion might be held liable if a student builds this illegal street bike if a student is involved/causes an accident because of it.

It is simple -- why dont you understand.????

There is a risk of liability. Every educational institute alwyas thinks on these terms. It is principal of ethics.

Get with the program ! Ask your friends what they have to say?? New York City just banned street ebikes. This is a problem that we ebikers needs to be aware of. If we are not cautious, ebikes will be controlled more - like it is in Europe.

You don't get it. Think Formula 24, gravity racing, etc. road illegal vehicles used for race, built by students, thought in schools. Thick..

I'm lucky as I'm the only one for miles that has a ebike that goes over 22mph. And I'm in no hurry to build one for someone else to go on the beach or streets around here as it would only cause awareness to my bike and the law.
But gzman it might be best to keep your son in a safe bubble so as not to stumb he's toe. But as soon as out of the safety of his bubble he might hurt himself.

Thanks for agreeing with me 99zip99

I knew eventually someone will eventually figure it out

My kids are long gone from home. Yes they are in University and at institutions that teach practical and legal activities.

gzmann said:
Thanks for agreeing with me 99zip99

I knew eventually someone will eventually figure it out

My kids are long gone from home. Yes they are in University and at institutions that teach practical and legal activities.

"Sue his ass" Always got to be somebody else's fault. You assume that your kids are incapable of thinking for them selves "Oh, but he showed me how to do it". Your kids do know how to strike a match? Right. If they then go and burn down someones house, can you sue the person that taught them how to strike a match?

So... Gzmann's kid's are long gone from home (as we now discover) meaning his statement of "if my kids ....blah blah blah" is irrelevant

Gzmann claims 999zip999 agrees with him, but 999zip999, apart form giving gzmann a poke about having his kids in a bubble, mentioned he is glad that his bike is under the radar at the moment, and hopes no more bikes of perhaps "faster than legal" are built in his area too soon to enable him to keep flying under the radar... suggesting that Gzmann feels agreement with under the radar due to fewer perhaps "faster than legal" bikes, NOT whether bike is legal

I call Troll

Don't feed the troll

Joe

I was going down a hill and saw a cop with the radar gun I started peddling like a mad man as the cop pick up his gun and rechecked it. Shit he didn't chase at 42mph. I'm the only one here like that. Well my friend rides tandeem at 40mph downhill with his wife on the back. I better not think about this. I stop thinking once I got out of the bubble and start doing.

gzmann said:

it sounds like you have built a bike that does not meet legal requirements.
Very deep thoughts! You should start a worldwide campaign to ban the teaching of science. Anyone with some science knowledge is capable of building things that do not meet the legal requirements. Let's go back to the stone age.

Whatever you do, please stay away from politics for the sake of humankind.

oh winkinatcha
==so what you are saying is that my kids are not kids because they are adult kids -- therefore my comment is irrelevant?? ==???? i guess that makes your comment irrelevant !!! My children will always be my kids , no matter what the age. I guess you call your kids "my adults"?

You all are forgetting,, this is a registered school class in a formal seeting!!! perhaps we should all go to a class and be taught how to make various types of bombs- including pressure cooker bombs --- just for interest -- i mean why not -- we need our schools to get "out of the bubble"!!!

Make an illegal bike - i mean i did === just dont get all the schools teaching kids how to make them --- tell them to figure it out on their own!!!!

FOR all those telling me to get out of my bubble === perhaps you all need to get out of your own bubbles and start caring what is taught to all our kids -- oh yes -- but you guys dont care what is taught to them !!!! except when one is killed/hurt by something someone else was taught to make!! ( of course then is called terrorism )

Mark my words -- in 5 years , all these >30km bikes will be banned, you will not be able to get parts

"Sue his ass" Always got to be somebody else's fault. You assume that your kids are incapable of thinking for them selves "Oh, but he showed me how to do it". Your kids do know how to strike a match? Right. If they then go and burn down someones house, can you sue the person that taught them how to strike a match?[/quote]

Yes i will sue his ass off if someone teaches in a university how to "burn houses down" ,, wont sue him if he teaches how to start a fire.

I wont sue someone for teaching how to make an ebike, but i will if he is taught how to make a 40mph ebike with 100v and 2000w output that is clearly illegal. - and if your child was killed by it after getting hit walking across a street -- you wouldn't??? == MY ASS YOU WOULDN'T

HAHA my lawyers would have a hayday!!!!! wouldn't know what to do with all the money!!!!

gzmann said:
You all are forgetting,, this is a registered school class in a formal seeting!!! perhaps we should all go to a class and be taught how to make various types of bombs- including pressure cooker bombs --- just for interest -- i mean why not -- we need our schools to get "out of the bubble"
No, you've made an assumption there. Yes, I was a ClarkU doing sign-ups, but have no intention of offering a class through the University. In fact, this forum site is the principal educational resource I believe, available anywhere, anytime for anyone. I only hope to add a little to the existing equation - a local workshop in the makerspace mode. Anyway, its all formative.

gzmann said:
I wont sue someone for teaching how to make an ebike, but i will if he is taught how to make a 40mph ebike with 100v and 2000w output that is clearly illegal. - and if your child was killed by it after getting hit walking across a street -- you wouldn't??? == MY ASS YOU WOULDN'T

HAHA my lawyers would have a hayday!!!!! wouldn't know what to do with all the money!!!!

If you got hit by a speeding car, do you sue the car maker? No, you sue the driver! Ah but in your logic, it is illegal to teach how to make a vehicle which can exceed the legal speed limit. So you must sue the car maker and while you are getting at it, you must sue the engineers, professors who teach engineering, the university, the government. Then why you stop there, you must sue assembly workers, supervisor, car mechanic etc. There are millions cars, trucks, motorcycles on the road can break the law, even kill people. There is nothing illegal with teaching somebody how to make an ebike which can goes up 100mph. It is up to the driver who decide how fast the car goes. And it is up to the rider how fast his/her ebike goes.

There are many legal products on the market which could be used illegal way. Good example is fire work and pressure cooker. You can watch beautiful fire work while you cook your meal with a pressure cooker. Ah but you put fire work in the pressure cooker and set afire in the crowd, that is illegal. It is up to the user/owner how to use the products and nothing you can do about it and there is absolutely nothing wrong with teaching how to make an ebike no matter how fast it goes. It is desirable to teach the legal limit, however, you do not control the speed, the rider does!

Ishikawa said:
gzmann said:

If you got hit by a speeding car, do you sue the car maker? No, you sue the driver! Ah but in your logic, it is illegal to teach how to make a vehicle which can exceed the legal speed limit. So you must sue the car maker and while you are getting at it, you must sue the engineers, professors who teach engineering, the university, the government. Then why you stop there, you must sue assembly workers, supervisor, car mechanic etc. There are millions cars, trucks, motorcycles on the road can break the law, even kill people. There is nothing illegal with teaching somebody how to make an ebike which can goes up 100mph. It is up to the driver who decide how fast the car goes. And it is up to the rider how fast his/her ebike goes.

There are many legal products on the market which could be used illegal way. Good example is fire work and pressure cooker. You can watch beautiful fire work while you cook your meal with a pressure cooker. Ah but you put fire work in the pressure cooker and set afire in the crowd, that is illegal. It is up to the user/owner how to use the products and nothing you can do about it and there is absolutely nothing wrong with teaching how to make an ebike no matter how fast it goes. It is desirable to teach the legal limit, however, you do not control the speed, the rider does!

Nice one here, but its useless, like knocking up on brick wall. Some people like to go to court no matter what, because they're stupid.

agniusm said:
Nice one here, but its useless, like knocking up on brick wall. Some people like to go to court no matter what, because they're stupid.
Well, perfect segue, as I did have to go to court for remuneration on my accident. If you're following this saga, you'll know I was knocked to the pavement last September, went to the hospital, had bills, submitted those bills to the driver's insurance company, had those bills rejected, paid them out-of-pocket, and then filed in small claims court for remuneration. Courts take a while so it wasn't until recently that paperwork for my claim was sent to the insurance company. They bumped it up the chain and my hospital bills were then promptly paid, with a very friendly agent calling saying everything was being handled, even go so far as to request refund checks with the hospital's billing agent for my out-of-pocket payments. I understand most court cases are settled out-of-court because its the least-cost method for these companies. Their gambit to avoid payment obviously failed with me because I was willing to go the extra mile. Sometimes court is a necessity. Thanks all for your kind support. :mrgreen:

@gzmann Let's chill it out please. It is not YOUR problem if someone is doing illegal speeding unless agniusm or arkmundi is your son or a children and it would be difference. Let's move on.

In fact, I commute my ebike 40-42mph EVERYDAY. so sue me! I don't give you a damn and it IS my choice if I made a accident then TOO BAD myself. I knew the risk involve.

chroot
actually you need to relax --- no one asked you to chime in on this discussion

the point that everyone is missing is that the more attention all us ebikers make bragging about how we all go 40mph (likely in a 30mph zone) , means the more likely enforcement of more rigid laws about ebikes come in effect. just look at ebikes in NYC now-- they are banned!

good luck teaching everyone how to break all the laws taught in public institutions

oh chroot -- perhaps you need to go back to school to learn english ?? or i apologize if english is a second language , but the last few sentences make no sence

arkmudi
good the drivers defense lawyer didnt know the ebike you had was street illegal heh??
might be paying all the bills yourself

i drove to work this am going 30mph , but at least i dont go bragging to the world about it

@gzmann Sure, I have no problem with your insult and I understand your point about the NYC now banned all ebikes. Oh well too bad, You all have choice either accept the laws banned ebikes or move out out of state and live where the place gives you freedom that allows you ride the ebike.

Lastly, I assured you that most ebikers would going to be stealthy like Europe ebikers built a ebike with 250 watt and it has hidden 3k watt switch or Hyena who is from Australia, His locally is strict 200watt and he has hidden switch by his CA setting raise 5k watt. :lol:

By the way, I am relax and enjoy discussion. 8)

arkmundi said:
agniusm said:
Well, perfect segue, as I did have to go to court for remuneration on my accident. If you're following this saga, you'll know I was knocked to the pavement last September, went to the hospital, had bills, submitted those bills to the driver's insurance company, had those bills rejected, paid them out-of-pocket, and then filed in small claims court for remuneration. Courts take a while so it wasn't until recently that paperwork for my claim was set to the insurance company. They bumped it up the chain and my hospital bills were then promptly paid, with a very friendly agent calling saying everything was being handled, even go so far as to request refund checks with the hospital's billing agent for my out-of-pocket payments. I understand most court cases are settled out-of-court because its the least-cost method for these companies. Their gambit to avoid payment obviously failed with me because I was willing to go the extra mile. Sometimes court is a necessity. Thanks all for your kind support. :mrgreen:

Was not addressed your direction.

Back