Aussie 200 Watt Limit Thread

Hyena said:
"200w high output" :

I think we need to have a lil 'play on words' so as not to get in trouble with labelling something its not,
for example if it said "200watt capable" it wouldnt be a lie would it where as "200watt maximum output"
has the potential to get you in the shit i think? If anyone gets them made ill chip in for them
not keen enough to arrange this myself at this point in time with the laws so lax, maybe when things
are tightened up in the future a hidden "200watt button" on the bike along with the appropriate sticker
might be on the cards...

KiM

EDIT: i keep forgetting i own a vinyl cutter it also prints on vinyl haha i cn make my own 'proffesional' looking stickers!
just need to build up one of the 6 junked p4s i have sitting in the corner to run the thing as it no likey Windowz 7
and thats all i have running on my machine :roll:

I get the 36v200w bit in the middle, but what's all the rest ??

Kim I think you'd be best to say something like

Brushless DC Motor
Nominal power output: 200w

Technically the wording is 200w MAX but having a sticker on a motor that says 200w is probably going to be good enough.

Oh, thanks for that.
With 200w limit, don't think we will see too many " raped apes ' here. Unless of course, we all have chain drives :mrgreen:

"With 200w limit, don't think we will see too many " raped apes ' here. Unless of course, we all have chain drives" And a lot more power than 200/300W!

I have an Aprillia Enjoy. Rated at 200W (brushed 24V DC motor, 13Ah NiMH battery) and driven through the bottom bracket ie chain drive. Beautiful bike, excellent quality, but ... big hills (about 10% grade) and relatively strong, consistent 40kph+ winds here means that the 200W limit is ridiculous. You are limited to about 10kph or less under those conditions. Walking speed with more stress. And the European regulations that the Aprillia is designed for (200W pedal first) means that the muscles in the top of your thighs are constantly subjected to full on, full off power, giving the muscles shock loading. I have rewired the bike so that doesn't occur anymore.

It makes more sense to have a reasonable power limit (say 1000W, but this doesn't really matter, it could be 100kW) but limit the top speed of the bike to say 35kmh (or 40) powered, knowing that the well-heeled, lycra wearing crowd can easily exceed this speed with their supreme fitness and $25K bikes. What we need is to organise ourselves and petition our federal government to legislate to allow us some freedom (an oxymoron - legislate; freedom), even if it meant that "we" would need to get our bikes registered, as a bicycle though.

I also have in my stable a turbocharged, fuel injected 750cc Kwaka, so it is definately not my need for speed that I write this! I ride my bike for:
No oil!
Fitness
Chill out factor

Cheers guys

What I am suggesting is, it shouldn't matter what wattage you are pulling provided you don't exceed a speed limit that's suitable for a bicycle. That currently applies to all other road vehicles. I'm also suggesting a speed limit of 35-40 kmh because of questionable build quality of a lot of e-bikes, especially tyres.

Cheers, GT

I live in the US, (visited Aus once) but...

I have to agree on the speed limit, rather than a power limit. How about a cargo bike with 2 bags of groceries and a child, pedalled by an adult...then he hits a hill. It might take 1,000W system to climb steadily without overheating, even if you are genuinely staying below 20-mph/32-kph.

Can't pedal-only bikes exceed 25-mph on flat land already?

spinningmagnets said:
Can't pedal-only bikes exceed 25-mph on flat land already?

When I was in better shape I could get my MTB up above 30 on the flat for short bursts.

Maybe they should do a test and see how fast you can pedal and let that be your ebike speed limit. Out of shape? Too bad, you will have to crawl along even on motor power. :wink:

Some one just sent me this link, may be of interest.
http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Accessories/Industry/H5D3Q9X8

That's a bit of a dramatic / misleading head line. Mr Sheen hasn't banned them, they're just not allowed under the current gay rules.
What a load of crap anyway, tossing on over 50w
"ZOMG 250w, what rebels those guys at Sanyo are..." :roll:

Hi All

(First post)

I've just had my LBS fit a 200W Elation kit to a cheap 'hybrid'. I've used it ride to work for the last week. There are some serious hills between my house and my work that I could barely ride 10 years ago when I was fitter and less fat!

I am stoked with the Elation! It far exceeds my expectations. I used to struggle up the hills in the 'granny gears'. Now I'm in the middle cog flying up.

I think for a pedal assist the 200W Elation seems perfectly adequate. Sure, I can see with a trailer or a cargo bike you'd want more.

Maybe the Government needs to make a cheap 'in between' class that could be registered? There again I'm not sure what problems they anticipate if the limit was substantially higher? I regularly hear 'hoons' doing burnouts near my house at 2:00 on Saturday/Sunday morning and/or drag racing on the nearby highway. I can't really imagine them rushing out to purchase a 750W E-Bike (although that would be nice).

Anyway, I'm loving the Elation. If it helps me get a bit of weight off (I am getting a good sweat up on the way to work) it might give me a couple more decades of life. Got to be happy with that!

:)

lesspedal said:
hozozco said:
Hi All

(First post)

I've just had my LBS fit a 200W Elation kit to a cheap 'hybrid'. I've used it ride to work for the last week. There are some serious hills between my house and my work that I could barely ride 10 years ago when I was fitter and less fat!

I am stoked with the Elation! It far exceeds my expectations. I used to struggle up the hills in the 'granny gears'. Now I'm in the middle cog flying up.

I think for a pedal assist the 200W Elation seems perfectly adequate. Sure, I can see with a trailer or a cargo bike you'd want more.

Maybe the Government needs to make a cheap 'in between' class that could be registered? There again I'm not sure what problems they anticipate if the limit was substantially higher? I regularly hear 'hoons' doing burnouts near my house at 2:00 on Saturday/Sunday morning and/or drag racing on the nearby highway. I can't really imagine them rushing out to purchase a 750W E-Bike (although that would be nice).

Anyway, I'm loving the Elation. If it helps me get a bit of weight off (I am getting a good sweat up on the way to work) it might give me a couple more decades of life. Got to be happy with that

Welcome mate, guess you have seen this thread.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10867
Don't know what happened with previous post, but welcome.http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10867

Yes, welcome hozozco!

The type of rego I'm suggesting is not the normal car-type, renewable every year. A once off payment to cover the cost of a rear plate and an administration fee, shouldn't run more than $30. This allows you to have a reasonable power limit at a reasonable speed, but ensures that if you do unreasonable things, you can be identified. The government can also claim they are doing their bit for the environment encouraging green transportation, not discouraging it. And it wouldn't cost them $35M like they gave to Toyota!

How windy is it where you live? My Aprilia is (or was) reasonable going up a hill when it isn't windy - 4th cog out of 6, so it's almost comparable to the elation except battery chemistry, with the elation having the superior chemistry (but the Aprilia LOOKS better).

The cops had one of those speed camera trailers (you know the ones where they just show you the speed you are doing in big lights?) on the side of the road and it was a nice still morning, so I pedalled like mad and got the bike up to 34kph - don't think I could make 30mph like you other guys!

Cheers,
GT

Hi GT

Hey - I grew up in Whyalla! Yes, Whyalla is windy, but it doesn't have any big hills really!

I ride from Hallett Cove to Flinders Medical Centre. The ride home is beside the Southern Expressway - very steep. I haven't struck a lot of wind yet. The beauty of the Elation is the ability to change down the cogs and use the granny gears - not that I've needed to you.

I like your registration idea - it could be used for all ebikes above 200W. Or hell, just all ebikes...as long as we can still use bike paths - I can bike path almost the entire way to work. The roads are too scary.

02jze said:
What if your pulled up and a cop wants too see your watts meter and see's that your hitting 5500 watts ??

You would turn the power off soon as you pulled over, WattsUp meters don't store the previous data once powered down.

I like the idea of registration heck i would happily pay an annual fee if it included some third party insurance.
A one off fee though is done in some USofA states IIRC? Definitely would be a good idea, i would go as far as
making this compulsory for all road ridden bicycles, If it included serial numbered markings on the bikes or using the
standard stamped identification it would also help in the return of stolen bikes.

KiM

Personally I'm against any registration. My view is that my vehicle is a bike and any rego on bikes would I recon be the thin end of the wedge to register all bikes. A great revenue raiser for government I'm sure especially as bikes become more popular. Also if compulsory helmet wearing put people off riding bikes what would compulsory rego do.

If you have a powerful ebike get it regoed as an LA motorbike. Looking at some of the amazing bikes on here I would think this could not be that hard, lights indicators etc.

$30- for anything the government is involved in administering seems optimistic.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/rta-changes-could-be-boost-for-electric-bikes-20100426-tnbm.html

This link to a SMH story today says that the RTA has submitted a report to to commonwealth. Anyone know anymore on this? Is it just that same report that has been floating around for a few years?

hozozco said:
Hi GT

Hey - I grew up in Whyalla! Yes, Whyalla is windy, but it doesn't have any big hills really!
The one from Onesteel on the highway going toward town always gets a stiff head wind even when there is only a gentle breeze everywhere else. Also, the one near the Lord Gowrie (now New Whyalla) is also quite steep, but not long. I live over near Mt Laura, so coming home I get a headwind all the way. It's the wind that makes the difference. BTW, been here 23 years, before that Pt Lincoln 3, before that lived in Reynella for 10. The last time I was in Hallet Cove, there were NO houses, all paddocks!

all74 said:
Personally I'm against any registration
Yep, I know what you mean, but I think all govs are considering it already for all bicycles due to the antics of some riders, generally couriers. If they're heading that way, I'd rather try and influence their decision by suggesting a low cost, one-off rego.

all74 said:
$30- for anything the government is involved in administering seems optimistic.
Here in SA, if you let you rego lapse on your car, ServiceSA charge you $15 admin fee to readjust your renewal. Also, it costs $20 for a pair of plates, so I figured $15 admin + $15 one plate = $30. Besides, I'm an optimistic person.

all74 said:
If you have a powerful ebike get it regoed as an LA motorbike. Looking at some of the amazing bikes on here I would think this could not be that hard, lights indicators etc.
The problem with that is we are not talking about powerful ebikes, just those with more power than is legal. Also, LA motorbikes need DOT approved tyres (I think from memory) which omits the tyres I want to use in my new build (Schwalbe Big Apples - does anyone know where I can buy them in Oz?). However, for high power bikes, I agree.

Hi AJ, your cruiser looks great mate :mrgreen: , if my new build comes up half as good, I'll be :D :D ! I don't follow rc builds that much, but your's was a MUST see!

Cheers guys,
GT

Back