Bafang 36v/250W vs 36v/500W

radvi

1 mW
I am thinking about getting a new Bafang motor for my folding bike. I would like to upgrade the motor - from the 36v/250W to the 36v/500W, while powering it with a brand new 21Ah battery.

1. What is the main difference between those two motors (36v/250W vs 36v/500W)? Is it just speed or just torque, or both features, or is it even more complex issue?

2. Generally, would the 36v/500W motor work fine with a 21Ah (Silverfish) battery? Is there a higher risk of motor overheating and thus motor drop-out than if using the 36v/250W motor?

Thanks in advance.

radvi said:
Generally

The difference is a 7A vs 14A controller, the motors are all the same. The sellers sometimes even sell you a 1500W motor claiming it to be 250W to get sales from all the scared consumers who want to be within the law, even though that law is absolutely hog wash. You don't see them limit horse power on automobiles and yet that would save many lives. I would go with a 30A controller at 36V because you can never have to much power, especially for the hills at the lower power levels. It just sucks complete and utter ass when you haven't enough power to climb a simple hill.

markz said:
The difference is a 7A vs 14A controller, the motors are all the same.

I did not ask about the controller. The 250W motor is the same as the 500W one? The same power/torque/speed?

markz said:
I would go with a 30A controller at 36V because you can never have to much power, especially for the hills at the lower power levels

Never have to much power? I do not understand your point. Can you be more specific, more simple so to say, please?

markz said:
the motors are all the same

I am saying that it sucks to have no power when you are climbing hills, its a real pain. Trust me I know, I've had setups where I've had to little power and not able to get up a hill and it was a real bummer. I had a 250W setup and it was a real pain, just no power to pass people or climb hills. My 500W Conhismotor kit with KT display was so-so but it couldnt even get me up a steep short switchback pathway. The real sweet spot for the majority of average sized people is 1000W.

radvi said:
I did not ask about the controller. The 250W motor is the same as the 500W one? The same power/torque/speed?

markz said:
I would go with a 30A controller at 36V because you can never have to much power, especially for the hills at the lower power levels

Never have to much power? I do not understand your point. Can you be more specific, more simple so to say, please?

I have Voilamart 500w rear wheel kit with a 36v 14.5ah battery
What would a bigger battery do for me, how big can/should I go, and do I need to change the controller??
Thanks

Back