Bafang BBSxx, replacement of bearings in bottom bracket

Dear Dan,

Yeah I downloaded their catalog and am very happy to hear that they have it. Unfortunately, it cost 69 USD + 89 USD for DHL shipping to me in Singapore. I am contemplating to just buy a new one, and sell this one as defective unit to those who wants the other parts especially the less than 100km mileage motor.

Thank you once again Dan. Appreicate it :)

queenkong said:
Dear Dan,

Yeah I downloaded their catalog and am very happy to hear that they have it. Unfortunately, it cost 69 USD + 89 USD for DHL shipping to me in Singapore. I am contemplating to just buy a new one, and sell this one as defective unit to those who wants the other parts especially the less than 100km mileage motor.

Thank you once again Dan. Appreicate it :)
This is Doug from California Ebike. I wish the DHL cost were less but they are not. An alternative would be to send via Priority mail at $29. Let me know if that option would work.
Doug

queenkong said:
Just today, there was noise again. So I took the kit apart and to my shock, the bearing (non drive side) was completely crushed into pieces. The drive side one is perfectly fine. The small pinion metal helical gear connected to the large gear had teeth broken too. I had no idea why man. The other parts are tested to be working perfectly well.

The answer to why your bearing broke down so quickly, could be that it is Chinese. Now before anybody begin to throw stones at me, listen to this:

The official explanation from The Danish Technical University - Mechanical Institute, is that the difference between SKF/FAG/INA and Chinese bearings is Quality Control, You will ALWAYS know what quality get from SKF/FAG/INA. From China you can get similar specified bearings that are better, the same or worse quality, BUT YOU WON'T KNOW FOR SURE.

So you might just didn't win the Chinese QC-lottery. But don't worry the lottery goes on...

/Philip

I get the quality issue, but there are continuing reports that those of us who have opened up our motors have found the barest minimum in lubrication in some cases. So the China quality control also carries forward to the use of the bearings.

I have a complete set should anyone have a crisis. Doug or I can get them off in a flash without an outrageous mark up.

Tom, do you have a list of the bearings used in the Bafang unit? I have the BBS-01's. What bearings are used used in this thread is a bit confusing.
It would be easier for me to find them locally.
Thanx,
Bert

Bert, Here you go from near the top of the first page, fourth post down for reference.

You will not find both bearings locally or on the internets. One is proprietary and as such I keep one in my kit. I'm sourcing some and do have one I would part with should someone have a genuine emergency. But one for open sale yet.

EDIT Sorry I missed that you were in the nicest bicycle climate ever, and not the USA.

Arvicola Terrestris said:
This is a standard part you can get many places, ex. here:
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Be...out+Shaft+Sleeve+17x25x16mm/product_info.html

The Thrust ball bearing has weird dimensions, doesn't even fit the Imperial system.
The part from Bafang is stamped "FUSHI" see more here: http://www.fushibearing.com/en/productsjt.asp?id=147
25.85mm Outside diameter
17.50mm Inside diameter
7.50mm Width

This Fushi bearing i can't figure out, so if you have an idea off where to get this one, please tell.

/philip

Tom, thanx :D Yes its a flat country side accept the dunes. I do an average of 150-200km a week. I just love driving this ebike.

In the USA the bearings is $20.99 and $10 shipping.

California eBikes has them.

Thrust Ball Bearing SKU005-005 for BBS $20.70 each + $10./order shipping (any quantity) drop shipped.

I'd be willing to organize a group buy if there are minimum users interested. They'd be $22.70 plus $5.70 reship. Has to be 5 to make it happen.

tomjasz said:
In the USA the bearings is $20.99 and $10 shipping.California eBikes has them.Thrust Ball Bearing SKU005-005 for BBS $20.70 each + $10./order shipping (any quantity) drop shipped.I'd be willing to organize a group buy if there are minimum users interested. They'd be $22.70 plus $5.70 reship. Has to be 5 to make it happen.
And shipping them to the Netherlands....$?

bgt said:
tomjasz said:
In the USA the bearings is $20.99 and $10 shipping.California eBikes has them.Thrust Ball Bearing SKU005-005 for BBS $20.70 each + $10./order shipping (any quantity) drop shipped.I'd be willing to organize a group buy if there are minimum users interested. They'd be $22.70 plus $5.70 reship. Has to be 5 to make it happen.
And shipping them to the Netherlands....$?
PM an address and I can tell you what the PO will charge me. But in order to be accurate you'll have to give me full information.

I'll PM mine.

xpc said:
"
Thrust Ball Bearing SKU005-005 for BBS $20.70 each + $10./order shipping (any quantity) drop shipped
"
I might be wrong, but aren't these a bearing supplied by SKU.
should be able to be purchase from any bearing supplier.
Yes you ARE wrong. Again, one is available from normal channels the other is proprietary. Please read the first posts.

Hello guys, nice thread.

You put a bug into my head with that grease, so I just checked shaft and look what Ive found. Rubber seal Is ragged and comes out. And it has just 130 km! What do you reccon to put there instead as I dont think I will get original seal so soon. (I am from Slovakia)

Also what grease is best for gears, bearings and freewheel?

Many thanks

I have removed silicon seal, I think is better as second nut works now as contra nut and better holds bearing in cups.

It is a poor design using a soft rubber washer between the jam nuts. They should have something more like a rubber coated metal bearing seal that you could tighten up on without crushing it to smithereens. Looking through some bearings I have on hand for a size that may work for mine. You will need some loctite 290 or equivalent to keep the outer nut from not coming undone with a soft seal between the nuts.

DaDo.Bzz said:
Hello guys, nice thread.

You put a bug into my head with that grease, so I just checked shaft and look what Ive found. Rubber seal Is ragged and comes out. And it has just 130 km! What do you reccon to put there instead as I dont think I will get original seal so soon. (I am from Slovakia)

Also what grease is best for gears, bearings and freewheel?

Many thanks

It happened to me too. I replaced it with a stock silicon seal washer sent to me by Doug@California ebike and it broke and came out exactly the same in no time at all. These things are thin and flimsy - even if they stay put, I can't see them being much good at keeping dust and debris out. I wonder is a thicker silicon washer would be better?

We need to find the right size rubber coated metal bearing cap/ seal. You then would be able to snug up the outer nut properly without destroying the stock soft rubber attempt at a seal.
abec3seal3.jpg

Bgt found a complete set of bearings, the 2 OEM versions in Germany for $11.99. That does not include the other two N16/17. Far less than I pay. Damn Bafang! I imagine shipping is a sting, but still a good price for those of you in the EU. Although the EU is nearly 1:1!!!! Now's a good time to buy from the EU!!

I have one complete set left for $40 4 bearings, shipped. $40 for a new shaft including shipping. Complete kit for $80. Includes two crappy seals. I'm hitting Fastenals home office looking for new seals that are more durable.

Hello bgt,
Can you please post link where bafang bottom bracket bearings can be ordered from Germany?
Thanks

I found, outside bearing on right side of bottom bracket has small clearance, I will probably replace it.
Bearing number is 16003RS.
I'm wondering if I will need to replace also others.

dusan said:
Hello bgt,
Can you please post link where bafang bottom bracket bearings can be ordered from Germany?
Thanks
http://www.bike-emotion.org/pedelec-motoren/pedelec-tretlager-mittelmotoren/ersatzteile-zubehoer-fuer-bbs01-02/lagerschalen-set-bbs-motoren.php

dusan said:
Hello bgt,
Thanks

I found, outside bearing on right side of bottom bracket has small clearance, I will probably replace it.
Bearing number is 16003RS.
I'm wondering if I will need to replace also others.
http://www.bike-emotion.org/pedelec-motoren/pedelec-tretlager-mittelmotoren/ersatzteile-zubehoer-fuer-bbs01-02/lagerschalen-set-bbs-motoren.php

Back