Bafang M620/G510 (and all other Bafang motors) now on CAN-BUS (2021+) rather than UART (2018-2020)?

gvanrenterghem said:
Hi,

I just ordered a Bafang Ultra (aka M620 aka G510) and was surprised when Bafang specified on the invoice that the display would be a CAN-BUS version as opposed to being a UART version. They confirmed this morning to me that they have changed the manufacturing and that they are NOT producing UART M620 anymore. I wanted to fit a 52V battery on it but I am therefore not sure if the motor will still accept 52V batteries (as the 2018-2020 version of the motor used to) and if it will be tunable anymore.

Would any of you put their hands on a new version of the M620 with a controller using CAN-BUS protocol rather than UART protocol?
Is the capacitor still rated 63V?

Also learnt (comparing Bafang 2019 vs 2021 catalogue, and confirmed by Bafang themselves) that now all motors and display are on CAN-BUS (before it was a mix of UART and CAN-BUS), so this is not an issue that only affects the M620 but the entire range of motors. I think that means that not only the USB connector to tune the motors won't work anymore (as different green connector) but also seems to suggest that it will become much hader (impossible?) to tune the motors without the Bafang dedicated device and software.

Thanks much for your thoughts.

Did you go into the advanced screen and enter the 1919 code to unlock the power and speed?

timbodaciois said:
Hey guys i know this is an old thread but i just designed some frames for the m620 and did not see this weird software change. None of you mentions going into advanced settings on the display and entering the 1919 code to unlock full power and higher speed. Did any of you know about this?

We're WAY WAY past that point. You're talking about using the display to change the programming. We're talking about the ability to change it using a laptop. That's possible with the older UART based motors. Not possible (yet) with the new CAN BUS based motors.

WiscJoe said:
that does not work on mine

If you have a UART based Ultra, the correct software, and the programming cable, it SHOULD work. If not, you are likely doing something wrong.

AHicks said:
timbodaciois said:
Hey guys i know this is an old thread but i just designed some frames for the m620 and did not see this weird software change. None of you mentions going into advanced settings on the display and entering the 1919 code to unlock full power and higher speed. Did any of you know about this?

We're WAY WAY past that point. You're talking about using the display to change the programming. We're talking about the ability to change it using a laptop. That's possible with the older UART based motors. Not possible (yet) with the new CAN BUS based motors.

Ok you guys want to be able to edit all of the parameters of the older software correct? Please answer me this. Does the advanced menu and code still exist to unlock the speed limit on the newer versions so the bafang ultra will go 35ish? I sent them an email since I have created a product with their motor and I am waiting to see if they email be back regarding a new program to edit the controller parameters.

I have been emailing bafang about this and I am signing up as a brand dealer to be granted access to the new software and hardware to unlock the motors. Thank goodness I am actually making prototype designs to be sold or I would be screwed.

AHicks said:
WiscJoe said:
that does not work on mine

If you have a UART based Ultra, the correct software, and the programming cable, it SHOULD work. If not, you are likely doing something wrong.

Sorry I was referring to a code on the screen to increase speed limit.

I wish I knew about the software for UART bafang programming, seems like everywhere I have read about it is there is no software (yet) to allow for this unless you are aware of one?

Can you actually use another battery that the one sold with the kit? I received a message from Bafang itself that this will be that way... apart of that, without programming internally, with more than double the price motor, I just hope they keep the old models in production, otherwise, not sure what will happen with the niche..

timbodaciois said:
AHicks said:
timbodaciois said:

Ok you guys want to be able to edit all of the parameters of the older software correct? Please answer me this. Does the advanced menu and code still exist to unlock the speed limit on the newer versions so the bafang ultra will go 35ish? I sent them an email since I have created a product with their motor and I am waiting to see if they email be back regarding a new program to edit the controller parameters.

I have the new Can Bus ultra and there is no advance menu, Also did you say you are getting a dealership status so you can program the motors?

WADE13x said:
I have the new Can Bus ultra and there is no advance menu, Also did you say you are getting a dealership status so you can program the motors?

I'm no dealer, but unless I'm mistaken, the bike manf's can't even program the CAN-BUS Bafang motors yet. They're as clueless as the rest of us.

AHicks said:
WADE13x said:

I'm no dealer, but unless I'm mistaken, the bike manf's can't even program the CAN-BUS Bafang motors yet. They're as clueless as the rest of us.

Couldn't I just swap out the controller to a Uart version?

WADE13x said:
Couldn't I just swap out the controller to a Uart version?

To answer that question, I would note that one of the outfits doing performance/custom controller updates requires a UART based motor to convert. I bring that up as they're pretty specific about this point, which makes me wonder if Bafang didn't make other changes when going CAN-BUS.

This of course could be totally wrong, as it is not something I've seen in person. It's just a strong hunch....

A couple months ago I asked Watt Wagons about that and it sounded like you can't just swap controllers because there is actually some hardware on the motor (separate from controller) that is specific to UART or CANBUS, so they needed a translation chip to make that hardware on CANBUS motors work with their UART aftermarket (innotrace) controller. It was ready to go, but chip shortage is holding up production of the translation chip. If you have a CANBUS motor and were able to swap to UART controller you would also need to swap out throttle (and anything else with CANBUS connectors).

Tom said:
A couple months ago I asked Watt Wagons about that and it sounded like you can't just swap controllers because there is actually some hardware on the motor (separate from controller) that is specific to UART or CANBUS, so they needed a translation chip to make that hardware on CANBUS motors work with their UART aftermarket (innotrace) controller. It was ready to go, but chip shortage is holding up production of the translation chip. If you have a CANBUS motor and were able to swap to UART controller you would also need to swap out throttle (and anything else with CANBUS connectors).

That doesn't sound bad, If your swapping out a controller already than swapping out a toque sensor and throttle I don't think it would be so bad just an additional cost.

I also bought a Dec 2021 Wart Hog MD750 from Bolton, the bike had a bad battery
(Won't hold a charge), this problem has been taken care of (I hope) by Bikonit.
The battery has been sent to a Calif battery repair place on the 28 of Feb,
it was supposed to take a couple of weeks to repair and awaiting to be returned.

Then I found out the display was off and I contacted Bolton,
for the wheel changing diameter spec's, as the speed is 3.2 mph FASTER, than the true speed/mileage,
these spec's have been checked against Radar and Garmin GPS etc)..so I know that the GPS is accurate.

This was the reply I received from Bolton, when I asked about changing the bad display spec's,
"We aren't able to mess with settings at all. (Canbus protocall).
Our only options are the stock file or the file we upload to it when "unlocking" it".

I also just found another problem, I do not LIKE,
I have been testing the PAS steps in the Eco setting, (so far) and I found out,
that when I stop peddling, the motor continues to supply a surge of power
or continues suppling power, for approximately 5 seconds longer...then shuts off.
This problem occurs in all the pas settings in the Eco mode.
I haven't tested the Sport setting yet, due to bad weather here.

I can see getting into a real problem with this extra (not wanted/supplied) power
at the wrong times on some the goat paths I want to travel on etc,
I bought this bike as a hunting tool for getting into the outback, for slow and careful traveling,
or a bad crash and burn is just waiting to happen, IMHO. I don't heal as quick as I used to...LoL.
Tia,
Don

Hi Don,
First, welcome to the forum!
Second, I just wanted to share that I had a bike with a completely different setup (geared rear hub) that was doing that same exact thing. I canotacted the bike manf, and they said if you have to, you can just touch the brake to cancel the power (geez, thanks for that!).

I changed everything, including the controller. Even going with a different controller manf. didn't fix it! FINALLY I changed the PAS sensor, and that was the end of the problem..... FYI -Al

Al
Thank you.
I realize that a brand new bike (+100 miles) may have some minor quirks/problems until everything settles in etc, I just hope that this is not a continues trail of problems, if you know what I mean. :roll:

I love this bike, it just what I wanted to go into the places that I really enjoy being in.
I am just thinking ahead, and I can see the writing on the wall, and I don't like the scene.
So for now I am staying on the main dirt tracks and flat ground, until I get it fixed,
or buy a another more dependable make/model etc.

Do you think that this surging problem can be solved, if and when this Can---- adjusting can be set up,
and or adjusted to better settings/parameters like the "smooth" info?

Do you know if there is a parts diagram for this type/brand of bike, to show the location of the PAS sensor?

Thanks,
Don

Don, I'm pretty sure that last breath/surge can/could be fixed if it were in my garage. Otherwise, you have your work cut out for you.

Anything is possible of course, but I would be surprised to hear that the file Bolton downloaded was defective in a manner that was causing this. Consider that you are the only one complaining about a problem many others would be discussing as well if this was an issue on their bikes as well. In other words, if Bolton's "unlocking" file caused the issue, a LOT of other bikes would be doing it. That being the case, I'm assuming yours is an isolated case.

I don't see a quick fix here, would be all over Bolton....

For the Canbus version of the g510/m620 the same restrictions exist as for the other m500/m600 motors.
You can just adjust max speed and wheel size

Does anybody have a firmware file for the m620 canbus 48v?

Attachments

• 53CE8ADD-B6EB-4C8F-940E-AED821B87ED0.jpeg
    53CE8ADD-B6EB-4C8F-940E-AED821B87ED0.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2,075
This has been tested with the M400/M500/M600, but should also work with the M620.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100777&start=410

Hi Guys, I changed my m620 from Canbus to Uart protocol by swapping speed and torque sensor. And sure the controller . But now I need to calibrate the motor. Otherwise it will not work. For Canbus I can find a way within the Besst software .
But when I plug the Uart version to besst Tool there is no button to calibrate the motor
I found a manual to do a calibration with a special c961 calibration display?
Any other ways possible?

Any
071fcb2d02a303b850e3dcb00599467c.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

The UHRT motors can not calibrate with the BESST tool. You need the old C961 display.

I have a c961 display and also the special firmware bin file and hex file. But I have no idea to flash it onto the c961? Any idea?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

So, now that there is a simple CAN Bus programming cable out, has anyone tried it?
True, it’s not for all the settings but being able to change wheel size and speed limit are huge for me.
I’m still waiting on my m620 bike to ship but I plan on buying the cable next week so that I’m ready.

Back