Bare bones electric bike

Is this not a good candidate for an electric bike?

26inch-aluminium-alloy-wide-bike-frame-for.jpg

Or something like this where I could possibly hide the battery pack in the down tube?
HTB1.4K1IXXXXXXTXpXXq6xXFXXX8.jpg

HTB1pZw8IFXXXXaAXVXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg

With Suspension
HTB1tcNeIVXXXXcoXFXXq6xXFXXX4.jpg

Uber Sexy! But I'm sure UBER PRICEY as well...
Enorm_ebike_v3_bullet.jpg

250W-electric-bicycle-chopper-e-bike-frame.jpg

cykno00.png

Some of the other "cruiser"esq designs I like a lot...
The%20Red%20Baron.jpg

Trek-sasquatch-cruiser-bike-1.jpg

voltage-cycles--628.jpg

new_26_x_4_0_fat_tire.jpg

ford-super-cruiser-electric-bike.jpg

frank_e_300_1_700.jpg

beast-mens.jpg

prodeco-phantom-e-bike-700x424.jpg

Do you really want a design that's basic and cost effective, or do you want a design that's gimmicky, overweight, costlier to produce, and less capable than a normal diamond frame bike, such as those you have in your pictures?

I want something people will actually want to buy... lol If that involves something a little gimicky, why not? But you're right, I need to concentrate more on the "Go: than the "Show"... But the "Show" is what sells... See why I'm so confused... lol :oops:

There is also that question of whether you think the market consists of people with a proven willingness to ride two-wheelers, or only non-riders who would be more entranced by motor vehicle styling.

The latter group constitutes a fairly good market because of its size, but the people in that group, when they buy two wheelers, tend not to ride them. If you want to design a bike to be sold but not ridden, your design priorities change. In that case, you really do need to turn the gimmicky knob all the way up to 11.

Look at department store bikes. For those bikes, dual suspension, big fat tires, or pink sparkly fenders are more important than drivetrains that work, bearings that are correctly adjusted, or forks installed facing forwards. The first checkbox is "absurdly low price" and the second one is "gimmicks"; there are no other requirements. And those bikes sell in large numbers, to nobody's satisfaction.

People who want to buy bikes because they ride bikes have different priorities. For them, you'll need to come up with something reliable and durable, with good riding qualities. They also want low cost, but they think in much bigger numbers in that regard.

Hi Nelson and Chelo, thanks for the awesome feedback. I'll be doing some research about bike frames by visiting various shops in my city to see what's available on the market and what seems to be more viable. I was thinking I'd buy the entire bike kits from the manufacturer without the parts I don't need and then sort of do the conversion/assembly at my plant.

p.s. Manufacturing my own frames is also an option I have. So I'm also looking at various design options which I might be able to manufacture myself.

Errrm... Speaking of "bare bones"... I am currently sorta enjoying chain-free at the moment. So, no chain, gearing, etc but direct drive with pedal levers bolted to front axle. (Do have a freewheel that allows forward rotation w/out pedaling.) So currently thinking friction drive.

LockH said:
Errrm... Speaking of "bare bones"... I am currently sorta enjoying chain-free at the moment. So, no chain, gearing, etc but direct drive with pedal levers bolted to front axle. (Do have a freewheel that allows forward rotation w/out pedaling.) So currently thinking friction drive.
There is one electric cycle which is "pure electric" as in, the pedals don't drive the rear wheel, they act as a generator and charge the battery, which in turn drives the rear wheel. Quiet interesting...

Hi guys, I've settled on using a classic roadster design, with 250-750W motor options and most likely a single speed design, with the option of adding a cassette gear and shimano dereiuler. Will update when I start designing the frame. Battery will be custom made to keep as low a profile as possible and make it a part of the bicycle, rather than something that was bolted on as an afterthought. Wish me luck!

P.s. There will be two frame options initially, a step through and a low step.

psych0hans said:
Hi guys, I've settled on using a classic roadster design,

Really? Like this?

Bike%20-%20Gents%20Roadster%20(3).jpg

If so, bravo! This style of bike is comfortable, rugged, well proven, and simple/cheap to manufacture. Most of the bicycle riding world uses roadsters.

If that's not the kind of bike you mean, please explain further.

Yeah, something very similar, just a little more stylish and robust enough to make a good electric bike. One step through frame and one low step or normal frame. Here's the tag I have in mind - "a mature bike, with a not so mature price tag"

Hi guys, this project is back on track, except I'm making moped-esque cycles, much like the juiced scorpions. The specs have been finalised at 250w, 750w and 3000w, for the Indian/EU, North America and "off road/moped" markets respectively. Tires will be 20x4 fatbike, like the scramblers such as Super 73, etc... First two samples should be ready by the end of this year.

One will be a 250w "base" version with no suspension and mechanical disc brakes, the other one will be a 750w "premium" version with full suspension and hydraulic disc brakes.

Battery capacity and range is yet to be decided.

Back