Baserunner/All Axle with CA3 setup help, no throttle

Bigwheel

1 kW
I received both the baserunner and hub motor direct from Grin and they said that they were synced. I hooked it up to my battery and throttle and am not getting any throttle response although it is showing voltage gain on the CA to 100%? Any help appreciated!

Edit: This is what I am working with, no throttle out

CA1.jpg
CA2.jpg

It looks like the current a is too high from what I can see in the online manual but haven't hit on how to decrease it

This is what the screen out of setup mode looks like:

CA3.jpg

The W as shown is very high also. I have the settings @ 20a/1200w in the proper place?

Last edited:
First, if you see any current reading when the system is just sitting there turned on, not running the motor, you need to check your shunt connections from the CA to the shunt; usually a poor connection causes a reading that doesn't actually exist. If that current exceeds the limits you have set in the CA, or causes wattage to exceed the watt limits you set in the CA, the CA will be in limiting mode (capital letter(s) in the Diag screen one left button push from the main screen), as you see in your first image with the A(mps) and W(atts) flags, and then it will do whatever you have set it up to do in those cases.

Next, since the BR and motor were setup together from Grin as a set, those should already be configured to work together, but you still have to setup the CA (which presumably you've added to the setup separately) for all the various settings specific to how you want it to work for you, and what specific equipment you have attached to it, etc.

If you haven't done that yet, I'd recommend first defining exactly how you want the system to work, and listing every item that is going to plug into the CA. Then go thru the CA manual, every page, to make sure the settings for that method of operation with those specific items is setup to do this how you want it to. If you skip any settings or pages, you may leave settings at some unknown value that will affect the rest of the system, because all of the CA's settings are highly interdependent, and the system may not do what you want, or not do anything at all.

If you've already done all the setup, then the next step (which should be part of the setup process) is to verify the CA's shunt setting matches that of the shunt you're using--either a separate one in the battery-to-controller cabling, or the one built into the controller.

If it matches, then the next step is to zero the current, also in the shunt setup menu.

Thanks for the comeback Amberwolf.

Yes the CA I am using is the same one I had hooked up to my previous All-Axle early issue motor that got a bit to wet and sat that way too long....it used the old style controller. Replacing it with the newer parts seemed like the way to go. It did indicate that the motor/controller were configured when I received it.

I have been down the manual every page at least twice now and have the shunt value set to 1.001 as indicated on the BR. Here are the screens from the shunt calibration as it stands:

Shunt 1.jpgShunt 2.jpgShunt 4.jpgShunt 5.jpg

My setup is pretty simple because I only have it set up for a throttle and temp sensor. No PAS. See anything here that is amiss?

Edit: I discovered that the white shunt wire had come out of the CA controller plug while messing around getting the controller in place. What led me to look was that in the manual it said that the Zero Amps screen should read in the 2.50v range and if higher then the blue or white shunt wires were to blame. I put it back and now getting a 2.49/2.51V reading but still no throttle.....also figured out how to zero out the current by holding the right button down so now the screen reads correctly.

I have the cable to connect to a computer but my laptop doesn't have a USB port so I got out my old one but it won't allow me to access the suite....if I can get that going then I can see if it is in the controller?

Last edited:
Are you still getting capital A and/or W letters on the diag screen? If so, the system is still detecting excessive current and that is what is causing the limiting.

If you have no load on the CA and there isn't actually any current flowing, but it does show greater than zero Amps or Watts, then you still have the shunt uncalibrated and/or not zeroed. You should have zero amps and zero watts when there is no load.

If you actually have a load on the system that is drawing that much power, then the CA is reporting correctly, and is doing what you have told it to do by limiting current and power by restricting or turning off the throttle output.

You also mention "20A" and "1200W" in the first post. What are those for?

If you have set limits of 20A and 1200W, then whenever those are exceeded, the CA will do whatever you have set it to do (rollback power or shut off output, etc).

Are you still getting capital A and/or W letters on the diag screen? No I got rid of those.

If so, the system is still detecting excessive current and that is what is causing the limiting.

If you have no load on the CA and there isn't actually any current flowing, but it does show greater than zero Amps or Watts, then you still have the shunt uncalibrated and/or not zeroed. You should have zero amps and zero watts when there is no load. I got it to zero out.

If you actually have a load on the system that is drawing that much power, then the CA is reporting correctly, and is doing what you have told it to do by limiting current and power by restricting or turning off the throttle output. That makes good sense but I am just not seeing it?

You also mention "20A" and "1200W" in the first post. What are those for? My math was off, I have it set to 20A and have a 52v battery so it is more like 1040w peak.

If you have set limits of 20A and 1200W, then whenever those are exceeded, the CA will do whatever you have set it to do (rollback power or shut off output, etc).
Yes I realize this but there is no load detected now as per line item one/two

Thanks for chiming in I sent a mail to Grin to see what help they can provide, perhaps someone in the Portland metro area that is more in tune with the system details than me that I can hook up with. I am in eBike hell at the moment with both bikes down......I do have my friends bike I can borrow but don't like to borrow others bikes and with my luck something would break.....

Back