Battery assembly kit for 18650 cells - first prototype

I have had good luck cutting strips apart with a dremel using a thin abrasive wheel, and that is the method that I would use for pulling a bad cell out of the middle of a pack that was assembled like this.

As far as how to replace a cell...the assembly method requires that the builder has a simple spot-welder, so I would recommend considering the option of carrying a "repair kit" that might look something like this:

batteryTabFuseRepair.png

I know that the tesla battery are using the ultrasonic wire weld to the cell tab and to the main bus plate.

The wire bond is also acting like a fuse.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22948&d=1370081801
attachment.php

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22949&d=1370083532
attachment.php

That is also a great solution.

Circuit I subscribed to your great thread. :D

Doc

:)

Sorry for keeping you guys waiting so long, my shipment from China is very slow... I tried to save a few bucks and ship it all combined with my other stuff via sea. There have been several holdups. I ask for your patience for couple more weeks. :)

nice to see all fits well together :)
what about a redesign of the fuse and the spot weld tabs?
i think one fuse and a round plate (with place for 5-6 pot welds) will work well and the laser cut will take much less time..

Yes, you are right. Drastically redesigning even negative pole will cut the price in half. One tab with 6 positive ends and 6 negative ends adds up to 1200mm cutting length (wow, for such small part). Multiply that by 12 pieces and by cutting price per meter and it is still too expensive. Let's say $45 for 12s6p kit. I can take such beating for my personal hobby, maybe couple more geeks will too, but it's not for the masses. And we do need masses to properly debug this projects and turn it to real product...

OK, good news. I've found a different solution for tab cutting. A lot cheaper. I have also redesigned a plastic tray, which should cut down the price as well. And I also have a cheap solution for cutting of isolation paper.
So overall, my initial guess of $69 kit's prime cost looks realistic again. Selling price could be around $89.

No pictures yet, sitting in airport now..

Just posting to let you know that I just found this thread and have interest.

what are the overall dimensions of this 12s6p pack?

26650 is very likely to come, however there is one problem: to get a reasonable price for tabs, I have to order a relatively large quantity (enough for 120s8p pack).

Currently I'm on mobile, so can't say exact dimensions. But from known cell dimensions, it looks like: 225.6*113.8*68 mm. So that is very small, even if compared to RC LiPo.

I am watching this thread carefully since I may go back to the Sony or other high quality cells and surely not having to risk soldering them would be super. Keep up the good work and sales will come.
otherDoc

Guys... Check this out. My cells arrived today.
IMG_20140507_172101_736.jpg

Not welded up yet, as I still don't have enough tabs.
My tab material has also arrived last week. I have cut it to size and sent to manufacturer to machine the tabs. This first batch will be very expensive, but I hope it is worth it.

Have you thought about 3D printing the trays? http://www.shapeways.com/shops/masterworks I think they do on line quotes if they are to expensive I know a few people with hobby printers.

Back