Battery pack current (A) Vs. total discharge current (Ah)

Jonndeka

1 W
Hi, sorry I'm asking the simple question. but it's confusing issue for me.

When we say battery pack current during battery operation (connected to the load), it means discharge current?
If we integrated the pack current overtime, it means total discharge current (Ah)?

Assume our pack current is like this:

Screenshot-2023-02-15-123017.png

> it means total discharge current

Wouldn't it mean "discharge capacity" at that point, not "current"? Total charge discharged, essentially.

1Ah charge = 1A of current moved for 1 hour

If you were discharging at a rate of 2A, then you'd use up 2Ah capacity per hour, etc..

When we say battery pack current during battery operation (connected to the load), it means discharge current?
If we integrated the pack current overtime, it means total discharge current (Ah)?
For example an e-bike with a 20Ah Lion battery will have varying current drain during say a 10-15 mile ride. From as little as 4amp drain (level cruising) to as much as 20amp drain (20A Controller) during a 10sec. hill climb.

Over a 10-15 mile journey slowly discharging (varying current drain) the usable 20Ah capacity of the battery as well as the usable 20Ah of discharge current.

Yes, if you integrate current over time until the battery goes flat, that is the total AH rating. If you just integrate it over part of that interval, its the AH you have delivered. Batteries are not linear though. If you flow higher current, you will generally have less total AH.

For example an e-bike with a 20Ah Lion battery will have varying current drain during say a 10-15 mile ride. From as little as 4amp drain (level cruising) to as much as 20amp drain (20A Controller) during a 10sec. hill climb.

Over a 10-15 mile journey slowly discharging (varying current drain) the usable 20Ah capacity of the battery as well as the usable 20Ah of discharge current.
Thanks. So how can I calculate total discharge current?

Everything you ever wanted to know ... Grinspector - Grin Products - Product Info
More youtubes - Blog - undoubtedly one of the best sources for getting up to speed
Wait. This is the same reviewer you trashed for his EM3ev tour. Huh? Relevant if you like the product?

That said I really like my Grinspector. I’ve a backup unit I’ll never use since I’ve cut back and would part with At MSRP with free shipping. Not a business just an advanced hobbyist cutting back.

I really like my Grinspector. I’ve a backup unit I’ll never use since I’ve cut back and would part with At MSRP with free shipping. Not a business just an advanced hobbyist cutting back.
Just to clarify it wasn't Justin narrating that EM3ev utube (with loud repetitive "WOW, WOW, WOW"). Same Loud "WOW" dude giving Justin the fist bump at the end of the video (6:00 to 6:15 and again at 7:30 to end). No more professional (repetivtive loud "WOWs") than a fishy calling card, but then what do i know being an oldtimer (78) from another era. Actually, now enjoy 1-3 weekly fist bumps since Covid-19. Can do without all the LOUD sucessive WOW, WOW, WOWs in that EM3ev youtube as a way of influencing the OP of that other thread to buy an expensive custom-made Chinese blue shrinkwrap EM3ev replacement battery pack (instead of suitable UPP shrinkwrap pack) for his used 48V Chaos e-scooter.

When it comes to tracking battery discharge capacity (used vs new LFP 14s6p) it's more about tracking watthours than Ah usage ...

The Benefits Of A Cycle Analyst (Or Other Wattmeter)
V3 Cycle Analyst Info Page
How To Add A Cycle Analyst Connector To A Controller (CAN = CycleAnalystNetwork).... .

678.jpg

Justin le ... owner of Grin Technologies
... purchasing the forum itself back from this "new" owner, pledging to keep it as it was as a community space and not an inline ad-driven revenue generator. In the first few years we initiated a number of fixes and enhancements to the site, but since then both my and Grin's energy have been almost wholly consumed elsewhere.
Fortunately, the guy you know as Neptronix stepped up in a massive way, first helping out with many of the IT/hosting challenges of the site and then a large part of the management and moderation too. It's an enormous (mostly) volunteer effort to keep the site going as it has.

But the arrangement has been a bit awkward too, as I was still seen as something of a gatekeeper for decisions / improvements but haven't actually been available to participate that way.

So the first thing I want to make very clear that the torch of managing the direction and development of this forum is very clearly in Neptronix's hands. He has a unique mix of having the technical IT/skills to maintain and upgrade the site, a passion for electric bikes themselves, and a deep appreciation for the community that's developed here. (posted on 12.9.22)
:bigthumb:

Last edited:
Just to clarify it wasn't Justin narrating that EM3ev utube
Thanks, eMark. It's all good! I do have a new UPP battery on a round case but built with upgraded components not used in the budget packs. I do have one old UPP 48V Shrink wrap budget pack but not generic cells and it served me fairly well It aged out before it wore out. I just struggle when I think back on the dollars California eBike ate covering warranty replacement with NOTHING from UPP.

Back