Battery to controller - what connectors “lock” together?

maxwolfie

10 mW
I will need to plug/unplug my battery every time when charging (external charger away from bike)

I ride trails/offroad almost exclusively. Bumps, rain, dirt, mud etc are all possibilities

Was originally going to go with XT60 or XT90 but concerned that they don’t “lock” together and may come apart during a rough ride

Power is 52v but the battery is only capable of 20A

Considering any options that lock or have a very secure fit, whilst still being easy to pull apart regularly.

Anderson SB50 connectors are pretty snug, I've used them on 2 builds, plus other non-ev projects, with no issues with them coming apart. If you don't mind the bulk

I will need to plug/unplug my battery every time when charging (external charger away from bike)

I ride trails/offroad almost exclusively. Bumps, rain, dirt, mud etc are all possibilities

Was originally going to go with XT60 or XT90 but concerned that they don’t “lock” together and may come apart during a rough ride

Power is 52v but the battery is only capable of 20A

Considering any options that lock or have a very secure fit, whilst still being easy to pull apart regularly.
For 20A, these might work
2 Pin Metri-Pack Waterproof Connector 10-12awg Terminals and Seals 46Amp (10-12 GA (1set)) https://a.co/d/3aLgbEB

Good quality XT60/XT90 (beware there are many low quality counterfeit versions for sale) are not very susceptible to coming apart during a rough ride. I have been using them for several years of rough daily rides and have never experienced any XT connector separation.

If you route the cabling so there is no stress pulling or tugging the connectors apart you should be ok. What is your cable routing?

Water protection is a whole other subject. Waterproof is not really achievable. First priority is to locate the connectors in an area and position away from any direct spray or exposure. Design in "drip loops." Full fenders greatly help.

Guessing from your post that you have to remove the battery from the bike to charge it? Is that the scenario?

Good quality XT60/XT90 (beware there are many low quality counterfeit versions for sale) are not very susceptible to coming apart during a rough ride. I have been using them for several years of rough daily rides and have never experienced any XT connector separation.

If you route the cabling so there is no stress pulling or tugging the connectors apart you should be ok. What is your cable routing?

Water protection is a whole other subject. Waterproof is not really achievable. First priority is to locate the connectors in an area and position away from any direct spray or exposure. Design in "drip loops." Full fenders greatly help.

Guessing from your post that you have to remove the battery from the bike to charge it? Is that the scenario?

Thanks for your feedback

Yes, I will have to remove the battery to charge it

I've certainly would never accuse XT90s of being too easy to remove, usually you have to really get a good grip on them and give them a little wiggle. I would just go with anti-spark XT90s, you don't need the 90s over the 60s but the anti-spark is nice. And you can pretty easily adjust them, if they are too easy to pull apart (which I've only had like once on some XT60 knockoffs) you can just push a probe into the prongs just a little bit which will bend them out just a hair and make it a tighter fit.

I've certainly would never accuse XT90s of being too easy to remove, usually you have to really get a good grip on them and give them a little wiggle. I would just go with anti-spark XT90s, you don't need the 90s over the 60s but the anti-spark is nice. And you can pretty easily adjust them, if they are too easy to pull apart (which I've only had like once on some XT60 knockoffs) you can just push a probe into the prongs just a little bit which will bend them out just a hair and make it a tighter fit.
I could use a few sets of these anti spark XT90S connectors. Are there many fakes out there? Can you recommend a source for ones with short attached wires that I can splice to longer wires?

Anderson SB50 is what I use. It's big, clunky, not as cheap as it looks... and it takes 15 pounds of pull to unplug it.

If xou are looking at big Anderson plugs you can also look at Neutrik Powercon.

Anderson SB50 is what I use. It's big, clunky, not as cheap as it looks... and it takes 15 pounds of pull to unplug it.
And if you have access to a 3d printer, theres a few designs out there for pull-bar attachments to make it even easier to pull apart, if you need it. As well as some designs I've seen for mounting the connector itself.

Back