BBS-FW: Open Source Firmware for BBSHD/BBS02 Controller

does all the sensors work with this OSF? im interested in flashing to increase my power from 28a to 32a (52v). also im running all sensors (brake,speed and gear ) i would like to flash this firmware, just wanted to confirm that first.

Can you install 30A then in stead of the 28A limit?
I think so, yes. I only use 20A max with my 25000+km BBS02B.

Max Current
Maximum current to draw from the battery, max 33A (limited by secondary NEC microcontroller, cannot be increased further).

WARNING: Maximum current can be set as high as 33A for BBS02 but I seriously advice against that as there is a good chance you will break your motor! I fault has been observed on BBS02 when setting higher current, possible some form of hard overcurrent protection. If this is triggered power will be cut for a few seconds, lower you maximum current to avoid.

Yesterday, a few hours before the 1.3 update, I decided to flash this firmware for my BBSHD 52V.I changed the max current to 33A and feel the difference compared to the previous 28A. My clamp meter when going uphill showed 33,8A.
Unfortunately, after ~1 km of driving at full power, the engine began to stop and weaken, and after a while Error 11 popped up. In walikng mode, the display showed a temperature of 74°C. I saw that there was already such a case and it helped to select the temperature reading only from the controller sensor. It seems that it also worked for me, after driving ~ 10 km with full power, the temperature of the controller is 60°C.
Is it necessary to turn off the motor power when uploading the software? I have a battery built into a fiberglass box and I have to open it to turn off the power to the motor.

Thank you for your work on the software and best regards from Poland.

Ale możesz zmienić parametry w narzędziu konfiguracyjnym bez wyłączania zasilania kontrolera, jak sądzę.
When I change the temperature reading from only one sensor, do not disconnect the power and everything was ok.

What does Keep Current and Keep Current Cadence mean in the new firmware? I don't speak English and I use Google Translate.

What does Keep Current and Keep Current Cadence mean in the new firmware? I don't speak English and I use Google Translate.
Same thing as in stock bafang firmware - motor PAS power decreases when you pedal too fast / you get more power when you pedal too slow.

@Daniel, I've just rechecked this and the power up throttle guard feature definitely seems to be non functional in the BBS02 fw.

As stated, if I power up with active throttle applied the bike immediately takes off.
Now working correctly in v1.3.0, thanks for sorting that Daniel.

Yesterday, a few hours before the 1.3 update, I decided to flash this firmware for my BBSHD 52V.I changed the max current to 33A and feel the difference compared to the previous 28A. My clamp meter when going uphill showed 33,8A.
Unfortunately, after ~1 km of driving at full power, the engine began to stop and weaken, and after a while Error 11 popped up. In walikng mode, the display showed a temperature of 74°C. I saw that there was already such a case and it helped to select the temperature reading only from the controller sensor. It seems that it also worked for me, after driving ~ 10 km with full power, the temperature of the controller is 60°C.
Is it necessary to turn off the motor power when uploading the software? I have a battery built into a fiberglass box and I have to open it to turn off the power to the motor.

Thank you for your work on the software and best regards from Poland.
So 33A is to much for the motor to handle?
What firmware have you flashed on your motor?

Hello everyone thank you for the excellent work :) how to make a backup of my original firmware BBS02B before flashing the new one I would like to be able to go back if there is any problem ;)
Any video also published to guide the most novice ?
Thx

Hello everyone thank you for the excellent work :) how to make a backup of my original firmware BBS02B before flashing the new one I would like to be able to go back if there is any problem ;)
Any video also published to guide the most novice ?
Thx
At the moment it seems not possible for BBS02B. If you install this fw there's no easy rollback -for the moment- cause the flash tool doesn't have read/dump functionality

If you need a guide, in github site it's explained (in my point of view it's made as less for intermediate-level users with a minimal experience, I don't recommend flashing if you don't know what you're doing and tend to press keys before reading it well)

There is no way to backup original firmware but there is some firmware available if you google CRR1094824E010015.3_170815.hex
I did not test it personally.

There is no way to backup original firmware but there is some firmware available if you google CRR1094824E010015.3_170815.hex
I did not test it personally.
Thank you but it would be a firmware for a 52v version and I have a 48V version.
I will wait for a return from @danielnilsson9 to see if it does not have a fallback solution ;)

ive read on first page that this osf has cruise control. can someone confirm how it works also is it easy to set up?

according to install manual:
4.connect your controller to your computer using the programming cable.
is the controller supposed to be ON during this?
i assume so, just trying to confirm

kb_79: there is no 52V version motor, 52V FW just allows you to use higher voltage battery without throwing an error AFAIK. I could not find any other (48V) firmware. The battery level indicator might be a bit off with the 52V one, not sure.

Matze_Senpai: cruise works fine and just like the wiki said it would. Pretty easy to set up. I connect my programming cable first and then power on the controller but it will probably work either way.

What firmware do I have to pick then for my bbshd? If I want to ride 52V and 30A?
Can someone give or link me the correct one?

If you mean bbs-fw then there is only one file to download. Inside it you will find 3 folders called BBS02, BBSHD and TSDZ2. If you are not sure which firmware to pick for BBSHD, then I would not really recommend trying to flash it. Otherwise all the instructions you need are in the wiki on github.

according to install manual:
4.connect your controller to your computer using the programming cable.
is the controller supposed to be ON during this?
i assume so, just trying to confirm
Before flashing the controller is Off, you turn on/connect the battery after clicking Download in the software... Maybe like it can only download the firmware during the "boot".

This isn't needed when using the Config tool, the configuration tool works when controller is powered on.

Cruise control works, but I don't use it much. It engages I think when I both pedal and use throttle. Back pedaling, brakes or throttle will cancel it. Of course this only works if you configured the assist type as Cruise. You can download the firmware and look at the config tool without actually flashing firmware.

Last edited:
Before flashing the controller is Off, you turn on/connect the battery after clicking Download in the software... Maybe like it can only download the firmware during the "boot".

This isn't needed when using the Config tool, the configuration tool works when controller is powered on.

Cruise control works, but I don't use it much. It engages I think when I both pedal and use throttle. Back pedaling, brakes or throttle will cancel it. Of course this only works if you configured the assist type as Cruise. You can download the firmware and look at the config tool without actually flashing firmware.
I really want to test it on my bbs02b but the fact of not being able to return to the stock firmware slows me down in my decision.
I have the impression that it would also remove the on/off accelerator problem if someone can confirm it?
Thank

Last edited:
I really want to test it on my bbs02b but the fact of not being able to return to the stock firmware slows me down in my decision.
I have the impression that it would also remove the on/off accelerator problem if someone can confirm it?
Thank
I was in the same boat but I finished my new 12S li-ion battery and really needed that lower voltage cutoff to use its capacity. Then the 1.3.0 came out so I risked it and now I don't really want to go back :) 18 PAS levels, working throttle + PAS with no hardware mods, controller temperature on LCD, configurable keep current cadence and road speed limited PAS levels are really nice.

So 33A is to much for the motor to handle?
What firmware have you flashed on your motor?
NO. I think not. It is probably a sensor error inside the engine. Theoretically, the controller should heat up faster because it has lower thermal inertia than a massive stator

I was in the same boat but I finished my new 12S li-ion battery and really needed that lower voltage cutoff to use its capacity. Then the 1.3.0 came out so I risked it and now I don't really want to go back :) 18 PAS levels, working throttle + PAS with no hardware mods, controller temperature on LCD, configurable keep current cadence and road speed limited PAS levels are really nice.
Well, I took the step so many settings possible 😅
The first problem is during gear changes I have the impression that it does not work I activated the option try to increase the time at 2000ms but it does not work like the original firmware 🤔
If anyone can share the settings they applied for a bbs02b it would be great
Thank you

Oh I don't have a shift sensor, sorry. Try to set Shift Current Threshold to 1% or maybe 0%.

Back