BBS-FW: Open Source Firmware for BBSHD/BBS02 Controller

It's working well on my BBS02a but there was a quirk with a c961 replacement display where I was getting error 30 message so I followed a hunch and swapped back to the one with a crack in it and the error message is gone. To clarify they are both c961 and one of them (the replacement) got an error 30 message after the firmware upgrade.

Last edited:
i used to bomb it with a 60v battery on my bbs02a charged to 63v using the stock firmware and never had any overheating problems so I think they decided they overbuilt it and made the bbs02b version. I'm going to try 63v 33a at some point :)

Handy feature: You can set the throttle to idle ;)(y)
If you set the throttle start voltage 'too low' then it will think the throttle is being pressed and will effectively idle. That is, it will turn the chainwheel at a minimum throttle level.
The range for my bbshd is 860-878. Above this range acts normally. Below this range gives error 5 so you'd need to disconnect (switch off) the throttle on startup. But there's no need to go lower as you can tune the idle with the start current setting.

But why would you want this? :unsure:
Well the main reason for me is to take the slack out of the drive train. One of the worst things about mid-drives is the way they slam your drive train when you touch the throttle 🤦‍♂️
Also, if you're into wheelies then you can use this to do idle wheelie tricks 😁

Of course, if you set this up then it'd be a good idea to disable the throttle on PAS level 1 aswell as the startup assist level you set. Bear in mind that when you plugin your controller to program it, it starts up in the startup assist level that you set 😉
Even with the throttle disabled on these PAS levels, you still get a little kick as the controller powers up. So it's also worth pressing the brake on start up.

It would be nice if it only "idled" when the bike was moving. I agree it would be a great feature to eliminate the chain slam when giving throttle.

I've seen threads online about using zip ties on the cassette to a wheel spoke to do a kind of diy solid hub, but the key is that you use only one really small zip tie so it can break off if in a high stress situation mitigating any damage. I thought about trying it but never got around to as my shifts have been fine Mid drive front freewheel mod.

Salut, je vous laisse un peu de lecture pour mise sur bafang :
pour compiler le firmware il faut lire cette partie 🙂 :
Last firmware for bbs02b and bbshd rename .txt to .hex and BBSFWTool .txt to .exe :

Hello from France,

Thanks to all for all the work.

I followed this thread from the start, but it's not clear to me what is new in this 1.4.0 version ?

And also the configtool provided for 1.4.0 does not seem to work... App does not launch, nothing happens. Normal ? Size is only 145k...

Cheers

Hello from France,

Thanks to all for all the work.

I followed this thread from the start, but it's not clear to me what is new in this 1.4.0 version ?

And also the configtool provided for 1.4.0 does not seem to work... App does not launch, nothing happens. Normal ? Size is only 145k...

Cheers
Hi i'm french go PM or test this BBSFWTOOL :
;)

Last edited:
It would be nice if it only "idled" when the bike was moving. I agree it would be a great feature to eliminate the chain slam when giving throttle.
Yeah, it can be a pain to deal with every time you stop. I did this before with a VESC controller on an old bbs02 and I ended up just using a hair band on the brake when I stopped. Ideally you'd have a switch on your throttle... but that's beyond the scope of many people :/

But however you choose to do it, it really is great to have the throttle power go directly to the drive without the big slam first :D

Hi,

first of all thank you very much for this work @danielnilsson9 it's amazing, and thanks to all the contributor.

I just got my first bike with Bbshd 1000w with a 52v battery. It's a second hand and there is a alccolmile color display on it, not the original bafang screen. I have a 52t chainring I want to change for a better one and a rear sprocket 9speed that don't alow me to pass the last 3 gears probably chain alignment.

I was looking for flash with this firmware for the setting he allow for smoother PAS and also for legal option. (250w max and 25kmh speed)

Regarding this I have a question "Optional separate set of street legal & offroad assist levels which can be toggled by a key combination"

how does it works ? Currently on my bike there is a screen and 4 buttons. Power / M / UP / Down.

Thank you very much for your help : )

Last edited:
i looked up error 10 and its a temp sensor error. try disable the temperature sensor in the config Tool
I downloaded the configuration tool on another computer because it wouldn't download on the first computer for some reason. The configuration tool doesn't read any ports on the computer, the entire left side is blank on the connection page.

hello if you compiled the configuration software before 6 p.m. today there was a bug that has been fixed since maybe recompiling the software
Thanks for your suggestion but I have tried several times since on that computer and it has the same problem. I have installed it on another computer but the configuration tool doesn't read any com ports on the connection page. Is there a step I am missing, or is there a compatibility issue I am missing?

This is Version 1.4.0 of FW and tool. Tested and working. Compiled today.
New features in the tool:
- Light always on
- Throttle overrides PAS speed (in addition to override Cadence)

Attachments

• BBSFWTool.zip
    610 KB · Views: 26
- Light always on
Forgot to mention, this is the BBS02 Firmware only! The BBSHD one got posted already.
Also, here's my config if anyone is interested for a EU legal version with PAS 0 + Light button switch. Legal is limited on all PAS levels to 25km/h and no throttle.
I have a 48V Battery so I upped the amps to 27, keep that in mind when using this config.

Attachments

• bbsfw.xml
    4.7 KB · Views: 28
Does anyone use the custom firmware and have solved issues with temperature because i am living in a hot area and my motor get very hot I fear to have problems.

Thanks !

One thing I noticed on my setup with 1.4.0 and BBS02:
When you activate the Sport mode, you have to be in PAS 0 and press, in my case with the 500C Display, the + button until the light turns on. But when you switch down to PAS 0, to change a gear, and then press + again to switch PAS up the Profile switches to Standard. So it needs a long press to activate but only a short press to deactivate. I was a bit confused till I got this.
There are now, in 1.4.0, other button combinations to choose from, any PAS level and light, braking during power on, only Light button and Sports button for display that have one. The braking during power on seems cool but I don't have a brake sensor installed. Maybe I'll hook up one for this and for shifting. I for one haven't experienced cut offs or temp problems but that seems to be caused by the two temp sensors in the BBSHD. Also stop delay 100ms works great no need for 200ms. Less than 100ms does not to work for my pedaling speed. Throttle from 1% and 900 to 3600 ist perfect and way smoother than original FW.
Great work from Daniel as usual :)

- Light always on
Is this the same as the one that just went live on github? Just installed this earlier today.

Is this the same as the one that just went live on github? Just installed this earlier today.
Almost I think. The github one seems to come with these new features:
Implemented global throttle speed limit option. #112
Added options for light output (Default, Disabled, Always On, brake Light) #160
Increase max configurable speed to allow configuring 100mph when using imperial units. #170

Does anyone know if 60v batteries charged with 63v chargers will definitely work?

Edit - Nevermind I can drain the battery a Volt or 2 with lights if I have to

Last edited:
Does anyone know if 60v batteries charged with 63v chargers will definitely work?
Do you mean a 60v *nominal* pack, or a 60v *fully charged* pack, and do you mean charging it to actual 63v, or with a charger intended for a 63v *nominal* pack (which would have a higher full voltage than that)?

Anyone know how to fix the speed sensor and display reading jumps for the bbs02b firmware? it seems to happen on steady throttle and pas but the ebrake seems to not be apart of the issue? I really like his custom software but he wont help sad face :l .

Does anyone use the custom firmware and have solved issues with temperature because i am living in a hot area and my motor get very hot I fear to have problems.

Thanks !
I've since set the system to read controller temp only... BBSHD on heavy cargo bike. Full throttle run the controller peaked at 80 C and there was no noticeable cutting of power at this temperature. Hope this helps

30a doesn't seem to increase power vs 25a on my bbs02(a) but does make the motor cut out momentarily. Otherwise the firmware and software are very useful.

Last edited:
I've since set the system to read controller temp only... BBSHD on heavy cargo bike. Full throttle run the controller peaked at 80 C and there was no noticeable cutting of power at this temperature. Hope this helps
Hey, but are these temperatures normal/safe/induce excessive wear?

I want to thank the creator and contributors of this firmware, I'm pretty passionated about my bike/BBSHD and all this time I didn't know about this custom firmware!
Yesterday I flashed the firmware, played around with the settings and it's absolutely great, motor seems to run better and I believe it might be more energy efficient.

I was never able to check temps before, it's another cool feature, I noticed temps of around 50 - 60c during my "normal" riding 300 - 700w.

Also tried out the extra power (full 33a), so went full throttle uphill and temps went above 70 towards 80c and at that point the motor started reducing power.

Outside temperature was pretty hot 30 - 35c.

Are these normal temperatures for my BBSHD or is it something to worry about?

Oh and another question, if I would turn off "walk mode", would I still be able to check the temp by holding down -(minus) button which usually induces "walk mode"?

Last edited:
Back