BBS02 vibrating under load?

Rusty123

100 W
I've got about 100 miles on a 36V/500W BBS02 (from EM3EV) so far, entirely road riding. It's on an old, non-suspended mountain bike (26 inch wheels), with a bling ring and 11-36 8 speed rear cassette. I'm also using a SRAM DualDrive three speed hub, running in the middle position (1:1) almost all the time.

Although the motor works perfectly 95% of the time, it occasionally exhibits a noticeable vibration, which transfers throughout the bicycle. The sensation reminds me of when you manually rotate an electrical machine and you can feel the pulsations as the rotor and stator poles pass each other, but at much higher frequency. It only happens when the motor is pushing the bike - it goes away if I trigger the brake cutout. In each case, the vibration started after a period of higher than normal load (such as climbing a hill, or in one case when my rear brakes malfunctioned and were rubbing). In one case, after the vibration started, the motor actually stopped running (although the control panel remained normal).

In each case (even when the motor stopped), operation returned to normal after a minute or two of sitting still, or by running the motor at very high RPM (as fast as my legs would go).

This all makes me suspect an overheating/overloading condition. However, the motor housing during these incidents is not particularly hot -- just a little warm to the touch. Also, even though these occur when the motor is loaded, it's not loaded dramatically so -- I've pushed my 350W BBS01 bike as hard or harder on many occasions, and have never had this happen. Lastly, I should clarify that I configure my gearing to maintain a pretty high cadence -- as a long time cyclist, that's what my legs prefer -- except when starting out from a stop, of course.

Any idea what's going on?

The most common thing that causes stuff similar to your description is a hall/phase issue, usually where hall sensors are not working for some reason, intermittently. Most often it is a connection problem, solder joint, wire broken somewhere inside the insulation, broken at the connector contact entrance, etc etc. Sometmes it's an actual sensor problem, acting wierd as temperature reaches some specific point.

Sometimes it's a phase thing, similar to the above issue...but I'd guess a hall is more likely.

Back