BBSHD: I'm skeptical

I have three BBSHD's over 5 years and have replaced three controllers (stock) but the problem I am having now with my heavy and lead footed son is melting the Anderson connectors between the controller and the motor (with accompanying ruining the wiring insulation. One way or the other I get shorts to the housing or broken connections. We have normal Dolphin 30A 52v batteries. 1. Would different connectors work better? What do you suggest? It has to be short to fit in the tight space. Did the Ludicrous controllers use a different higher power connector?

Also, recommendations on an external controller for when these go burn out? I don't need more than 30A, I just need durability. It is interesting that the nylon primary gear has never melted. I'm wondering why other's gears melt but my connectors melt.

Phase amps can be much higher than battery amps. A maximum of 2X the battery current is typical.

45A Anderson Powerpoles are not enough for your application.

You can butt splice those phase wires. If they need to be removable, you can use good sized bullet connectors.

Some versions of BBSHD had spade connectors but I don't think those are better than Andersons. I haven't seen many Andersons melt either. I use them on one of my hub motors running 2.5kW and they barely get warm. Possibly yours were not properly assembled from the factory. Bullet connectors should work. I've also used "Euro style" terminal blocks with good results.

If you have consistent overheating parts problems, you might consider programming it for slightly lower current.

Ykick said:
Agree with last couple posts. I wouldn't push a BBSHD in a conventional bike over 30MPH for any length of time and expect rock solid reliability.
Well Im here to tell you your wrong,a bbshd with the nylon gear replaced with Lunas steel one,ERT BAC855 controller,and 72 volt pack...the bbshd sees 3000watts and dosnt blink....dont belive me check you tube or go to electricrt.com(ERT electric race technologies)

bobpalm69 said:
Well Im here to tell you your wrong,a bbshd with the nylon gear replaced with Lunas steel one,ERT BAC855 controller,and 72 volt pack...the bbshd sees 3000watts and dosnt blink....dont belive me check you tube or go to electricrt.com(ERT electric race technologies)

E.R.T. has a very bad reputation here on E-S so I wouldn't advise anyone to go there...:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=105591&p=1576162

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=104271&p=1576160

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=107183&p=1579634

bobpalm69 said:
Ykick said:
Agree with last couple posts. I wouldn't push a BBSHD in a conventional bike over 30MPH for any length of time and expect rock solid reliability.
Well Im here to tell you your wrong,a bbshd with the nylon gear replaced with Lunas steel one,ERT BAC855 controller,and 72 volt pack...the bbshd sees 3000watts and dosnt blink....dont belive me check you tube

The more common reliability issues I see with them are things like bad wheel speed sensors or pedal sensors. There's no steel replacement for those.

There's also the breakage and accelerated wear that comes from running regular bicycle parts at several times their intended power.

I really enjoyed my BBS02. But personally, I get far better reliability from the same bike now that it has a hub motor. It's less interesting now, but it always works.

bobpalm69 said:
Ykick said:

I was throwing 52V @45A for 30 minutes a WOT on the nylon washer and never had an issue. The controller got hot but nothing melted or failed.

Back