• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

BBSHD specified speed (RPM) - too fast?

JayCee

1 W
I've read from several reviewers that the BBSHD is mis-geared, in that the optimum speed at peak power requires something like a 150RPM cadence. True? What roughly is the specified output cadence at the pedals (via kV) of a BBSHD at 52V?

IIRC, Typically peak torque is produced on most brushless motors at 50% of no load speed.

I did some informal experiments with my bbs02

In terms of efficency, on my bbs02, using 300 watts current limiting and verified with a watt meter, regardless of if I was in first gear (allowing the motor to spin too fast to pedal) or fifth gear (a very nice slow cadence), the speed I achieved for the same number of watts, was always the same on the same stretch of road. Which is to say you can set the PAS to a low cadence with trivial loss of efficiency.

LyonNightroad said:
IIRC, Typically peak torque is produced on most brushless motors at 50% of no load speed.

That's max power at about 50% of no-load speed. Max torque is at stall. Max efficiency at close to 80% of no-load speed. These figures assume a "dumb" controller that doesn't modulate torque delivery.

Ah, So is it the current limiting from the controller that causes the motor to feel like it is generating roughly the same torque from stall until it it begins to drop off at a certain RPM?

LyonNightroad said:
Ah, So is it the current limiting from the controller that causes the motor to feel like it is generating roughly the same torque from stall until it it begins to drop off at a certain RPM?

Motor phase current limiting would have the effect you describe. I don't know whether that's a feature of the controller we're discussing.

Back