Best cheaper Spot Welders

11spokes

1 W
Hello all,
Just wondering if any of you guys are building battery packs with cheaper spot welders. I mean anything other than a Maletricks or K-weld.
Please tell me what you guys are using and what’s working well for you?
I have seen some really cheap ones on Temu and Aliexpress but have no idea if they last. Have any of you tried these cheaper ones?
Thanks in advance!
Ben.

Microwave transformer spot welder with a timing circuit, but instead of using 1 transformer, use 2: parallel the input/primary coil, and series 1-2 really thick turns on the secondary coils

The all-in-one models with the Lipo pouch battery inside won't have enough power to do much more than .10 mm nickel. In addition, the internal battery will deteriorate because it's cheap and you cannot control the storage voltage, After a month, neither of mine could even do the .10 nickel plated steel provided. Junk.
seesil.jpg shopping.jpeg

There are a lot of little circuit board welders that run off a car battery, 3S Lipos, or super caps, I've tried these two model. The purple one blew up. The red will also blow up, but I had found youtube video that showed how to add a capacitor to make it reliable. Can't buy that model any more, but I bought a spare and have done thousands of welds with them, Tradeoff is being limited to .15mm nickel. I can do .20 mm, but at those power levels, it's too easy to blow a hole in the cells if I misplace the probes.

Edit: Per Shonan, I0mm x .15mm nickel should handle occasional current up to 10A series current.

I'm sure there are improved models out there, but I build small packs.
red welder 1.jpg purple welder.jpg
I run it on a 3S 12v5AH Turnigy Lipo. It's 70-140C, which says it can do 350A pulses. Then I needed an RC charger, so I bought the AC-B6. After a welding session, I put the battery down to 40% for storage. The battery seller says it's necessary for safety. It's also for longevity. The battery will swell up in a few months if put away with significant charge. The charger is a balance charger, and I have found it useful to connect to up to six cellgroups on an ebike battery to manually balance them.

Turnigy.jpg sky.jpg

So a hundred bucks for the two junk integrated welders. Fifty bucks on the circuit board welders. Could have bought a Maletrics or a Kweld when the Kweld was under $200,. Still needed the battery and charger.

What I've built are a few brick batteries with 18650 and 21700 cells, They go into bags on a rear rack. Then I built some 36V and 48V bottle batteries, inside real water bottles, No longer interested in bricks. I'll buy empty Hailong or Dolphin cases with the cell forms, and stuff cells in them. I feel the nickel plated steel you get with these kits is good enough for a 20-25A battery, and it's easier to weld than nickel.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input guys, has anyone else had any luck with a cheaper spot welder?

I've only built one 14s4p pack so far with a plan/sunko 709a but followed advice on here to upgrade the probe cables and it worked great.

Back