• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Best eBay 36V 20AH LiPo Pack?

Hi dogman,

I should also note that the price I mentioned includes the high rate BMS, 5A charger, and the shipping, in addition to the battery pack itself. It was definitely a little more than my original $600 budget but for the rave reviews I was reading from everyone here, I don't mind the extra cost.

- Jason O

Yes I mean 40amps set on a controller is to high, and 40a on hills is to hard on it. Dogman I mean your Ping sells points that will add up to a free battery. Jokes go flat on the web. ? Can't type a laugh.

Jdo300 said:
He is offering to build me a complete 36V 20AH A123 pack for around $870 shipped, which is not bad considering what I'm getting.
However, I'll need to save up a bit more for that pack since it's a bit more than my original $600 budget. So in the mean time, I purchased 3 12V 18AH AGM SLA batteries to use in the mean time until I can afford the better pack.
- Jason O

So you can't afford $870, only $600 so you piss away $250 buying LEAD? :roll: Very strange math and budget. :shock:

Gordo said:
Jdo300 said:
He is offering to build me a complete 36V 20AH A123 pack for around $870 shipped, which is not bad considering what I'm getting.
However, I'll need to save up a bit more for that pack since it's a bit more than my original $600 budget. So in the mean time, I purchased 3 12V 18AH AGM SLA batteries to use in the mean time until I can afford the better pack.
- Jason O

So you can't afford $870, only $600 so you piss away $250 buying LEAD? :roll: Very strange math and budget. :shock:

Haha, yes that sounds ridiculous, but actually. I paid only a fraction of that cost for them because I had a bunch of old batteries that I also recycled at around the same time, so I was able to justify the expense.

- Jason O

eventually you will understand.

lithium ion packs are an investment.

SLA is a boat anchor.

lifepo4 is cheaper anyway you look at it. your sun-thing deal was the best one around. i think it is equivalent to li ping also. just cheaper.

at least one person has bot one of those so we may know more before long.

I have had some problems with my 48V 15AH and Ping has been absolutely the best in terms of helping me.

Hello, I'm back after a long absence. I just want to inform people who are thinking of buying a Ping battery. Yes they are fairly cheap and yes Mr Ping will give you lots of support to fix your battery. Many people (dogman for instance) live and breath ebike technology and can use Ping's support to repair their units in their dedicated workshop. But for the average charge-the-battery-and-ride person I would think twice about Ping. I'm on my third Ping (yes I feel stupid). Seems that individual cells die or the BMS board fails probably from arcing but only after the damage is done does he tell you to connect the battery in a particular sequence. He had me disassembling my battery until I was totally overwhelmed by the amount of work I had to do. In the end I shipped the pack back to him (at my cost) and by the time I got it back the riding season was over.
Also, as I browse the forum I am amazed that there are no clear alternatives to Ping. If someone has had good luck with 60 or 72v
15a/hr battery complete with BMS Lipo or Lifepo4 please let me know. (will pay a premium).
If someone is interested in buying my 60v15a/hr lifepo4 ping with broken bms plus extra broken bms(1 yr old) PM me. (possibly a couple of dead cells)

Speedfreke said:
Hello, I'm back after a long absence. I just want to inform people who are thinking of buying a Ping battery. Yes they are fairly cheap and yes Mr Ping will give you lots of support to fix your battery. Many people (dogman for instance) live and breath ebike technology and can use Ping's support to repair their units in their dedicated workshop. But for the average charge-the-battery-and-ride person I would think twice about Ping. I'm on my third Ping (yes I feel stupid). Seems that individual cells die or the BMS board fails probably from arcing but only after the damage is done does he tell you to connect the battery in a particular sequence. He had me disassembling my battery until I was totally overwhelmed by the amount of work I had to do. In the end I shipped the pack back to him (at my cost) and by the time I got it back the riding season was over.
Also, as I browse the forum I am amazed that there are no clear alternatives to Ping. If someone has had good luck with 60 or 72v
15a/hr battery complete with BMS Lipo or Lifepo4 please let me know. (will pay a premium).
If someone is interested in buying my 60v15a/hr lifepo4 ping with broken bms plus extra broken bms(1 yr old) PM me. (possibly a couple of dead cells)

But I suppose you didn't pay the total of the shipping cost? You paid it for one way and he pay for the other way? And did you have problem for all your ping battery?

Yes , I pay to ship to him , he pays to ship back via basic mail. The packaging was inadequate for a $700 battery. All 3 batteries developed similar problem even though they were used with different components on 2 different bikes.
Any suggestions for a reliable 60 or 72V lipo or lifepo4 with bms ?

did you start a thread on any of your battery problems?

your statement about arcing on the BMS don't make any sense.

how did you determine there were bad pouches inside the pack and what did you do to repair them that overwhelmed you?

Speedfreke said:
I don't, and would never use a BMS with lipo. It's just not needed. And personally don't care for lifep04 at all. So I use rc lipo from Hobbyking. I sometimes bulk charge it, and sometimes balance charge it. Never had a problem in over a year of use. If you're using a 72V controller, you can go with 18s lipo for 66.6V nominal.Most 72V controllers will have an LVC of 62.5V which will protect 18s lipo from over discharging, Basically, your controller is what will limit your battery options.

Speedfreke said:
Yes , I pay to ship to him , he pays to ship back via basic mail. The packaging was inadequate for a $700 battery. All 3 batteries developed similar problem even though they were used with different components on 2 different bikes.

Did you break 3 BMS from 3 different pack then? Maybe your bike was using too much power?

I purchased a 60V A123 pack from Victpower, but I can't tell you if it's reliable yet (haven't received it).

I didn't have any reason to start a thread on my battery problems because I was so pissed off and didn't want to discuss it any further or do any more work on it. Ping advised me to connect the 2 halfs of the battery, the bms board and the power to the controller in a certain sequence as to prevent arcing. I think the bms is very sensitive to arcing and capacitors can blow (light stays on all the time.) Yes i'm on my fourth bms.all free replacements. Also the 3.6v charger he sent me did not work or work well. Took a week to charge a cell.

Back