Bicycle Locks

Take a look at the vid, a common otc lock is custom build with replaced lock core with more complex pin settings and the lock shackle is swapped with a tougher one that is harder then the metal in bolt cutters.

Didn't get to view the whole thing as I am on my cell, but just I had to share while I still remember so here it goes.

Maybe this lock or similar custom rebuild locks of different origin could work well with a custom chain and "chain saw secure pants" holster like the 1 posted above? If both the lock body and shackle as well as the chain are covered in the "chain saw safety material" even hard core grinders would have their work cut out. No pun intended. :wink:

To up the game one would need a custom made "jacket" for the lock, shackle and chain. No doubt this will run at high price but it will making stealing your bike very hard. You can get those custom build locks and chains here: http://www.tricountylocksmithservice.com/shop/

[youtube]4JgEfZzaRtw[/youtube]

What happened to the idea of using hollow tubing filled with nasty stuff under pressure ...mace etc. Cut that open and you won't be in a hurry to go further ? I saw an add for something like it, or was it an April fools day joke ?

Problem with that is when the tube is broken, the hole could be facing downward and not be inhaled or get to the eyes. Neat idea though.

I thought there was a crowd fund for the idea; the one I saw had a putrid gas emanate, so shouldn't matter which way it came out.

A fiber optic wire (very hard to see) wrapped and taped around the U lock routed to an alarm to notify you as soon as its cut.
Or routed inside the U lock somehow.

markz said:
A fiber optic wire (very hard to see) wrapped and taped around the U lock routed to an alarm to notify you as soon as its cut.
Or routed inside the U lock somehow.

Any lock can be defeated. The audible alarms I see available look like they can be smashed into silence. So I'm looking to figure out a way to rig up short/medium range radio alarm notification. I'd like to be able to carry a simple radio receiver that receives an alarm (and/or monitors audio at the bike). The more I use the ebike to replace my car the more important this becomes.

Two hidden motion detector hidden, notifications sent to your cell phone.
Selectable for audible or not.

Example (A): Say you run in to 7-eleven with only ignition key turning everything off. Or, you parked bike in front of large windows in fast food joint, only ignition key turning everything off, go in for a bite and now you gotta take a dump because the chickens bad.

Example (B): Now you are going into the maze of Ikea, a few football fields in size and you are at the very back corner end. You got your bike locked up tight with NYC Forgettaboutit U-Lock and a cable lock for wheels/seat, ignition key --> off, its securely in place, imovable, only your bike on the rack. You get a cell phone notification, you start running to the bike rack grabbing a baseball bat on the way, security runs after you thinking your a thief, no no your a redemption-taker doing justice...... and the mower guy accidentally ran into your wheels. Or at home, bike in garage, notification to cell, its 3am, cell on mute :?

Yaaaaa if they want it they will get it.

Ugly Bike is a deterrant but us with ebikes, they'd just want everything else like motor, cont, battery, CA.

I'm not running out to meet anybody with a baseball bat. My intent is to put the same amount of effort into stopping someone trying to steal my bike from a rack as I would if they tried to steal it directly from me.

I'd rather not rely on cell service of any kind since there are network delays and a good thief will be done quickly. I want a simply radio notification.

Of course, nothing is foolproof. I'm merely looking for a a good compromise. The super heavy duty locks are not, IMO, a good compromise due to their weight and bulk. I really like the idea of triggering a smoke bomb. Anything atypical that would draw attention seems good. Unfortunately, I think setting off incendiary devices is probably not legal. :^)

Looking for a new lock. The old Ulock I have is from Mountain Equipment COOP, like your REI down south. My Ulock's end cap came off a long time ago. I keep a close eye on my ebike, all the time insight.

These are what I have settled on. Any thoughts other then grinder/diegrinder attempts. My bikes have the best deterrent of all, frocking-Ugliness!

Going with chain, Dayton with 15 links per foot rather then the other 2 choices, 9 or 10 links per foot.
American Lock is now made by Master Lock, which of course cheapened the build, as Lock Picking Lawyer stated, but he still likes them. Lock is A5200, 8mm dia shackle. Will weld on anti-shimming beads, and some steel to make a shroud.
Yeah I know the shackle diameter could be better, but it is ball bearing.

Throw in a motion alarm off of ebay/alie/alib because sometimes the glare of the window blocks my sight, 15' away.
This came up first, its cheap and I will try it out.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-Wireless-Motion-GSM-Alert-Detection-Monitor-Infrared-Sensor-PIR-MP-Alarm-MT/312232604927?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170803110444%26meid%3D22e14f01899a4c0a98d5da6d6e6b571a%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D312232604927&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

I like this one because of the remote, hose clamp it under the seat.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Bicycle-Bike-Alarm-Security-Lock-Wireless-Anti-theft-Loud-Sound-Remote-Control/28023045180?iid=302857711861

This one is good for the front wheel spokes + alarm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-theft-Disc-Lock-Alarm-Keys-Security-Wheel-Motorcycle-Scooter-Bicycle-ZM-/273384451742

This one is just fuckingg cheap
https://www.ebay.com/p/120db-Wireless-Touch-Sensor-Security-Alarm-Loud-Door-Knob-Entry-Anti-Theft/2089739816?iid=302640656038

Bowley is Canadian!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2136537678/bowley-lock-company-inc-high-security-padlock-mode
Padlock - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6vioIPVzM4&t=37s
For a door - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV8QKZNFxLw

Just doing a little research on buying a new lock, ran across Lock Picking Lawyers site on Youtube and ran across the Bowley Lock. Its expensive! With the video's I watched, its convenient that they can have the lock on a vice on a bench, but some locks are horrible. Masterlock has locks that you "Rake" where you bend a wire and your in within 4 seconds. Those were the ones I wanted to avoid. Other locks you could shim, placing sleeves down each side and open them, probably 8 seconds. Cheap U locks you can just shimmy the springy loaded slider and your in fast. That was how my bike was stolen in Vancouver years ago. This go around, chain lock will be easier to carry and handle.

ABUS had a decently priced lock at $21 but was easily shimmable, decent picking deterrent. Nothing will defeat an angle grinder or a die grinder. That is why I like to buy old ugly bikes. That is why I do not ride my bright blue Townie anymore, as I had too many compliments on my bike. The blue dazzled them I guess. Aluminum frame made to look rusty - light sprays of brown, red primer, and yellow paint and dry brush to blend.

Bike thieves don't pick any kind of lock. They use brute force, they prey opportunistically on unlocked or poorly locked bikes, or they go on to the next thing. If they're super bored, they might pluck off a few desirable parts. Picking locks is like guessing combinations-- it's possible, but it takes too much mental effort for someone who's decided bike theft is a good idea.

Choose a lock based on whether you can cut it with a sub-24" bolt cutter. I'm not sure your suggested chain would pass that test, but almost any U-lock that isn't from Wally World would do it.

I like this onne
https://www.magnumtools.com/products/5693-thex-super-chain-5-ft-length-withhex-10mm-links/
Gregg Distributors sell it, no price in their catalogue, but others sell it for $43usd, it is hardened, can loop it through and it even has a nylon cover.

Chalo, the only reason I look at the picking aspect, is for peace of mind.
Some Master Locks are pathetic. Raking is just putting a couple bumps on a wire and they are in, in seconds. Some locks have plastic internals, and a blow torch is silent. Now 99% of the thieves wont look twice and they are only interested in cable locks. If they need a angle grinder, dye grinder, hydraulic hand pump cutter it will require a minute to cut both sides. Some U-locks they just need to cut one side. My bikes so fuckingugly, but the keen eye'd punk thief who's got half a brain may be interested.

I bring my bike in with me, or keep an eye on it while its locked up, or like the grocery store, I lock it up in front of the window. I've got one bike I've been slowly gathering parts for. Its my I dont give a frock about that bike. Welded on $20 Alternator converted to a motor, cheapass controller, and a removable battery pack. Thats the bike I will use if I want to crush some iron at the Y aka look at the firm ladies for an hour, or hit the mall for an hour or two, or lock it up at the train station.

The Canadian Tire Ulocks can be shimmed with a flat head screwdriver, any cheap Ulock for that matter. There was an asian guy who called that a "negative" screwdriver :lol: Owner is east indian, so either one coulda called it that.

I am going to see what it takes to break my Mountain Equipment COOP U lock, I havent found anything online about that one. Probably just a generic Chinesium mass produced p.o.s. with a different plastic molding on it.

Most big box stores and grocery stores have those inner lobbys, where they keep the carts? The carts and a few vending machines usually, that's where I park my madeuglyonpurpose ebike. They may often have store help stationed there, checking people out as they leave, and I'll ask them to "keep an eye on my bike, I'll only be a couple minutes." Starting on a 4 th build, and I've already made decisions based on keeping it plain jane in appearance when finished! I just use a short loop of 3/32 aircraft cable, stainless (you're not going to cut it with dykes, the stuff is tough and takes a dedicated cable cutter) and a small cheap padlock, as weight both on the bike and in the plane is always an issue. Just enough to keep a impetuous kid honest, no real problem with pro thieves here.

If I was a bike thief, I'd have, along with all my other DeWalt battery tools, a cordless grinder with a skinny cut off wheel in it, and a big towel to cover up the sparks flying, ain't nothing going to stop that. The hidden GPS locaters sound good, I'll go that route after I lose a bike, it'd be fun to track them down and get them busted.

craneplaneguy said:
If I was a bike thief, I'd have, along with all my other DeWalt battery tools, a cordless grinder with a skinny cut off wheel in it, and a big towel to cover up the sparks flying, ain't nothing going to stop that.

Plasma cutter, yo. High powered CO2 laser. Portable wire EDM.

Bike thieves aren't smart, or creative, or well financed. If you can't get the bike with a smallish bolt cutter, or a piece of pipe, or a stolen car jack, then a bike thief most likely isn't going to get it. Whatever takes time or upfront investment or genuine cleverness is not going to happen.

It would take a large, dense city with lots if expensive bikes and indifferent law enforcement to support a technologically advanced bike thief. And in those places there are better ways to make a living, even for a total dirtbag.

Moving from the other thread https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88292

I bought this mobile phone controlled alarm lock and have gotten used to its idiosyncrasies, and still like it.
Got mine from eBay, its a gray-market copy or the exact same without the badge, not entirely sure what it's story is but its cheaper. Now that I know I like it I kinda wish I had bought the official version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxZplRxMrt4&feature=youtu.be

Please note, I am going to use this lock for short lockup times in public areas for its convenience when doing light shopping stops, like buying 24 pack slabs of beer https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47924&p=1557856#p1557856
I won't be using this locked up in the street at night etc, I would agree its not enough.

I now that I am familiar with its usage I want to use some medium strength glue that I can remove later and mount it to my frame and feed a permanent 5volts from my ebike battery pack into it so I never have to bother recharging its batteries again or worrying about the battery going out.

I am pretty sure it will take being slightly "overclocked" at 5volts since it normally takes 3 x 1.5v AAA batteries which adds up to 4.5volts.

What I am wondering is if I permanently wire up 5volts to it with 3x NiMH batteries inside is the (5v/3) = 1.666volts NiMH charging almost permanently into those cells going to going to kill them or how long do you think they will hold up?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%E2%80%93metal_hydride_battery#Charge

I want to have the NiMH inside the lock as an extra safety precaution against the 5v line being cut.

I was thinking instead of having standard 3x AAA NiMH cells I could have 4 x mini NiMH cells of some type instead to lower the distributed voltage across each cell.
https://ru.nkon.nl/rechargeable/nimh/other.html
^Nothing usable here, all too big..

Found these not much mAh but if you cut the wire to the vibration alarm lock you would have to wait at least 30mins before the 40mAh total of the 4 NiMH cells ran out of power. Dimensions is Length24*width7*height5mm so it should fit easily in the 3xAAA battery compartment.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32867211608.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.40.13a833cebQXHj8

Now that I think about it, maybe if I was better with my hands I could make my own 4xAAA battery compartment and remove the back plastic that holds the cells altogether. Or even just spot weld 4xAAA cells together and have it dodgely hanging out of the alarm lock covered in glue.

Thanks open source forum ideas internet! merely typing it all out here gave me new ideas!

*ADD*
I find this quite detailed spec sheet on Panasonic NiMH cell charging and discharging characteristics with charts and temps and everything if you want to nerd up on NiMH chemistry.
https://eu.industrial.panasonic.com/sites/default/pidseu/files/downloads/files/panasonic_ni-mh_batteries_handbook_interactive_14_06_17.pdf

Also, depending on the vibration alarm lock and its particular idiosyncrasies they can work well.
Here is a video of a thief trying to pull bits off my bike like might front light when the vibration alarm goes off he goes sprinting away in shock of the alarm sound.
It's a pretty crappy CCTV camera video shot but this is all the people in charge of security were willing to give me https://youtu.be/8N2UxLvHMkw?t=21

Front porch: Fahgettaboudit U lock with On Guard Chain, the U fits through the OG chain easier than through the Fahgettaboudit chain. Bike is locked to a 10" x 10" post and never left outside after dark. I have the biggest OG chain, the biggest Kryptonite chain and a New York Noose chain.

Bike carry: 7mm Kryptonite Keeper and never leave the bike anywhere there are not a lot of people. Battery goes into the store with me. Used to carry a 10mm Pewag, but it's too heavy.

An angle grinder will get through most cables, chains, locks.

In the 90's I was wandering lower Manhattan and saw an older guy on a pimped out Schwinn riding around and looking. His bike had what looked like an orange rooster tail on the back rack. It was 4 ft bolt cutters made to look like a decoration. I told Enoch's bike shop about it, they were VERY interested. Pretty sure the pimp made the cut and rode away, then a pickup man would ride away on the now unlocked bike.

Edit to add, our son had two of his race motorcycles stolen from his garage. He found them, Houston PD were completely useless in getting them back. Our son had to take them back himself. He did. Find your stolen bike, call the police, probably nothing will happen.

i liked MrBeastie's idea of an alarm. I bought one of these

https://www.amazon.ca/Keni-Rechargeable-Anti-Theft-Electric-Accessories/dp/B01M2BOC7J/ref=pd_sbs_263_3/138-7785556-4956857?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01M2BOC7J&pd_rd_r=0e844ef7-6936-4976-965f-a905988ddc6f&pd_rd_w=YBWSJ&pd_rd_wg=RsWrL&pf_rd_p=0ec96c83-1800-4e36-8486-44f5573a2612&pf_rd_r=8Y05Q5Q5HD3161RJRM10&psc=1&refRID=8Y05Q5Q5HD3161RJRM10

I can mount it under the seat of my, going to the store bike, I just use a cheap cable lock on that bike. so an alarm might help. then put Velcro on it to stick inside the battery box of my other bike, I use Abus U-luck and cables on those when im out and abus ulock to seriously skookum chains at home. I just like the thought of the bike making a b-dupe sound when you arm it.

I wonder if they make a taser seat cover, just slip it on when you go in the store OR slip it on, don't lock the bike then go sit in the coffee shop and wait.....

MikeSSS said:
PD were completely useless in getting them back. Our son had to take them back himself. He did. Find your stolen bike, call the police, probably nothing will happen.
yes
with all those GPS tracking devices, once you know where your ebike is , what happens when you notify police??
good question , depends what city in NAmerica ?

The police are worse than useless. I had my bike stolen (I'd used a cable lock, never again), and while walking to the bike shop to buy another one, there it was, locked to an apartment fence w/ a big 'ol Krypto lock on it! Right across from the store I'd bought it at. I called the police, and they damn near arrested me because I didn't have the bill of sale w/ me. He also wanted to know why I hadn't reported it as stolen? Had to run home and bring the bill of sale back to show the cop. He looks at it and says, yep, that's your bike and gets in his car. I say what gives?, where are you going?, what about my bike? As he's driving away he hollers out the window, that's your problem! Had to call a locksmith w/ a grinder, and $80 and 30 seconds later my bike was free.

Back in my crazy youth I would have gone out looking for that cop. Learned my lesson though. Ever since then my motto is: I don't need to call no stinkin cops, I can deal w/ things myself.

Unfortunately, any of these loud alarms will clam up real quick w/ a well placed hammer hit. The thieves surely know about them. When I managed a self storage place, I used locks like the one shown above that have a small curved opening which prevents someone from using a bolt cutter on them. Didn't work, the thieves drilled out the key tumbler.

momus3 said:
I had my bike stolen (I'd used a cable lock, never again), and while walking to the bike shop to buy another one, there it was, locked to an apartment fence w/ a big 'ol Krypto lock on it! Right across from the store I'd bought it at.
I wonder as 5G takes over and mobile sims become data only devices (all voice will just be treated like data) that tiny hidden GPS 5G sim only gadget tracking plans will become cheap and viable.

Right now if you want to get a 4G/5G device to track your stuff its pretty expensive where I live.
Tiny hidden GPS gadgets that you could hide in your seat tube that draw power from your battery pack or have a battery inside them to last a considerable amount of time could be the answer in the future.
I hate recharging my bike externals, so I have my ebike battery wired into my front and back lights.

Everytime I go looking at them I decide they are too expensive or the gadget is too large or the price to keep them on a mobile network is too expensive to bother, but all these variables will change over time. It might even be worth while for some folks with bigger budgets now.

EDIT/ADD
I just googled around and found this plan for $5 a month for 4G GPS+data tracking, just have to make sure the device I buy uses less than 333mb a month.
https://www.cmobile.com.au/plans/c-red-5-gps-tracking-plan/

The gadgets on ebay etc that are cheap are "GSM/GPRS/2G" only but they also say 3G/4G but all the reviews say they don't work on 3G and 4G networks. In Australia 2G is gone and 3G bands are being transferred to 5G.
So looks like I would be better off concealing an old mobile 4G phone into my bike that would auto load up some tracker app than anything else.

Bike thieves are like dogs. You can train those in your neighborhoods with a very fun and creative method: bait bikes. :twisted:

MadRhino said:
Bike thieves are like dogs. You can train those in your neighborhoods with a very fun and creative method: bait bikes. :twisted:

If your neighborhood is like that, its time to move!
Thieves are everywhere though, but you have to factor in the 'crack-head per block ratio'

Here we have successfully trained them to fear unknown bikes. Now you’d give them one, they would not want to ride it for a hundred buck. No bikes stolen here in 2 years, and I leave my bike unlocked at any commerce in the neighborhood.

Back