• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Big 80-100 RC options

cancerkazoo

100 mW
Is the 130kv going to be the best choice for us (vs. the 180kv) in most cases? I see the 180kv is rated for aprox .75 HP more than the 130KV, or is that just because of the RPM increase?

Thinking of picking up one of these, do these need bearing upgrades yet? I know I should add glue to the magnets.

Hello C-Kazoo.
You are correct about the HP rating.
The gluing of the magnets has been a non issue on the newer motors I have in this size.
I have had smaller bearings that were on the edge of failure...(8mm id on 50mm motors) Replaced a bearings on a couple 80mm motors as PM but the stock units seemed alright.
The kv rating on the 130 is just slightly more gearing fiendly.

cancerkazoo said:
Is the 130kv going to be the best choice for us (vs. the 180kv) in most cases? I see the 180kv is rated for aprox .75 HP more than the 130KV, or is that just because of the RPM increase?

Thinking of picking up one of these, do these need bearing upgrades yet? I know I should add glue to the magnets.

If it's the 180KV that has a physically shorter motor, then the 130KV is capable of higher power, it just requires a little higher voltage to make it happen.

180KV is 26mm shorter.

Looks like the 130KV is better overall then. More motor, mass, surface area for heat dissipation, and more gearing friendly.

Thanks Guys.

The 80/100-130 & 80/100-180 are identicle stators,cans & bearingtubes.
(I have them both in multiples)
I think Luke is confusing the 80/85-170 in the mix.

The stator stack on the 80-100's is 50mm.
For the 80-85 the stator stack is 35mm.

That should muddy up the water a bit :)

cancerkazoo said:
According to the site, I saw a can length of 55mm vs. 77mm (180KV vs. 130KV)

Just a case of hobby kings typical incorrect information!

My recently purchased 180 matches the 130 size. ie 77mm can length.

Ricky_nz said:
cancerkazoo said:
According to the site, I saw a can length of 55mm vs. 77mm (180KV vs. 130KV)

Did you get the version with a skirt bearing? The skirt bearing assembly adds about 20mm to the motors.

liveforphysics said:
Ricky_nz said:
Did you get the version with a skirt bearing? The skirt bearing assembly adds about 20mm to the motors.
Yes both of mine purchased nearly a year apart have the skirt bearing so looks like they haven't updated their data for a while then.

Back