Boston-Power Swing 5300 Li-ion cell test

Swing 5300 actually have very low DCIR. Measured by the 10s DCIR method its initial DCIR is almost identical to Sony VTC6. So at recommended 2C max discharge rate it still stay cool. The reason why Swing 5300 does not have higher continuous C-rating is in its thin aluminium case, which starts to puff at higher continuous load.

Pajda said:
Swing 5300 actually have very low DCIR. Measured by the 10s DCIR method its initial DCIR is almost identical to Sony VTC6. So at recommended 2C max discharge rate it still stay cool. The reason why Swing 5300 does not have higher continuous C-rating is in its thin aluminium case, which starts to puff at higher continuous load.
Physically containing the cell walls better would prevent the physical expansion, but the puffing would not even try to happen without internal damage from too high a C-rate.

Low DCIR may **imply** that high rates are OK, but that is just a necessary but not sufficient condition.

The chemistry and other build elements need to be intentionally **designed** for high rates, even just those over 1C.

Swing cells are designed for powering devices over an 8-hour shift, not propulsion.

Actually as I understand it ...BP Swing Cells were actually marketed to the auto industry. And those that I am familiar with using them for Ebikes have been happy and impressed with them.

The medical packs that I am familiar with are all Boston Power Sonata cells ...which have a lower discharge rate. If you read the marketing statement at the top of the Boston Power Swing 5300, you will see what they state the Swing is applicable to.

http://liionbms.com/pdf/bostonpower/swing5300.pdf

Back