Bulls green Mover E45 Conversion

Tjeerdw

1 µW
This topic describes the build of my third commuter bike.
I want to ride road legal approved speed pedelec(under Dutch law). I Put a lot of miles on my bikes and want to go legal so I can get insurance and can ride between the cars in places where this is preferred. Getting a DIY bike road approved is a long, costly and unknown process. Buying an approved bike is expensive and the bikes typically don't suite my needs. So I bought a partly broken road approve donor bike which I will upgrade with my own parts.

I chose a Bulls green mover for sturdiness of the frame, low price, the standard rear dropouts and the availability.
BullsE45.jpg.3342338.jpg

The parts that come off the bike will go up for sale; a complete Go Swissdrive system and 635Wh 36V battery, PM if interested.

Goals:
-45km/h easily, a bit more when I have a car on my tail.
-my commute is 27km one way, I can charge at my work.
-my commute is 100% flat.
-Regen is nice to save a bit om my brakes and add to the high-techness of the bike, I don't need it for range

Below is a summary of the parts I intend to use
- EM3EV 14S7P battery with Panasonic PF cells (Already bought this)
- The battery will go into a TOPEAK MTX TRUNK BAG EX which slides on the luggage rack.
- GMAC 8T motor laced in a 28" Andra 40 rim.
- Grinfineon 35A controller
- Cycle Analist V3
- I haven't decided upon PAS or Torque sensing yet, I'm leaning towards PAS

There are still some fun challenges with my build on which I will update here:
-Getting the battery in the Topeak bag, it is a really, really tight fit.
-Converting the current 36V lighting to 52V.
-Making a nice clean build.

For now, comments and suggestions on my part choices is more than welcome.

Small update.

I took the Swissdrive motor out and cleaned it up, it is still a really nice motor
20191228-130429.jpg

I put the Topeak UNI SUPER TOURIST disc on, it was an easy fit, not much modification required.
20200102-115911.jpg

This is the EM3EV battery next to the Topeak RX TrunkBag EX bag, I need to modify the bag a bit for the battery to fit, but no wasted footprint once it fits.
20200102-130458.jpg

I also started converting the Cyo Premium DC6/42 to work on my 52V system.
Below is the electronics in the headlight. The IC on the left is an LM3404 which generates an constant current for the LED. The IC on the right is an LM2731 boost converter which uses the forward voltage of the LED (~3V) to make 7V for the Tail light. I don't really understand why they choose to do it this way, but it makes my job easier.
I will replace the LM3404 with the LM3404HV which can handle up to 72V together with an input cap(backside of PCB) which can handle the higher voltage. Will update if this works.
20200101-155214.jpg

Hi!

I had the same idea as you had, and after having a Marktplaats ad up for a couple months, a week ago someone finally sent me a message.

Believe it or not, the guy proposed me a bulls e45 with a broken motor!! The same exact bike!

This is just too coincidental, I'm located in the Netherlands too, and will be starting the build shortly. It might be cool to exchange whatsapp numbers?

I'm looking forward to seeing more from your build, and we might probably want to look into reusing the bulls torque sensor? From what I've seen it has a standard 5 wire connection?

Also, what did you pay for your bike?

I believe i saw you ad at one point, I Send u an DM with my contacts.
I did some work on the bike past weeks, so soon i will have an update.

Tjeerdw said:
This topic describes the build of my third commuter bike.
I want to ride road legal approved speed pedelec(under Dutch law). I Put a lot of miles on my bikes and want to go legal so I can get insurance and can ride between the cars in places where this is preferred.

For now, comments and suggestions on my part choices is more than welcome.

I always thought a speed pedelec is approved under some sort of type approval? That would mean that any changes to the drive system render the bike illegal and you'll be uninsured. Or is it just the intention to "look" legal?

https://d1wa5qhtul915h.cloudfront.n...es-pedelecs-up-to-a-pedal-assist-of-45-km.pdf

If you are able to understand German you might find that E45 conversion interesting:

https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/umbau-greenmover-e45-2012-auf-crystalyte-hs4080-ebs-freak.60817/

Pictures do start here:

https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/umbau-greenmover-e45-2012-auf-crystalyte-hs4080-ebs-freak.60817/page-4#post-1147450

Back