Buying e-bike with kaput hub motor - help!

mammonista

10 W
Hey everybody,
I'm buying a 2015 Raleigh Venture iE for cheap! The guy who is selling it to me says he knows nothing about it other than a p.o. told him the 48volt battery is in good shape but the hub motor is shot. From what I've been able to learn these bikes came with a Currie Electro-Drive 500watt rear hub motor. Can I upgrade? And who might rebuild if the motor is indeed shot, and what might I expect to pay?
thanks in advance,
Mark

It probably 90% chance the battery is bad, geared hub motors are pretty stout.
Even if the owner can read a Voltmeter, Volts don't tell the whole story.
If it doesn't run, I wouldn't give any more than $100 for it(if that).

Yup, no more then $100 or $150 for that ebike if its not running.

The gears inside the motor could be stipped, I had bought a geared hub BMC V1 for $25 with stripped gears. I still have it as a spare.

I told him I'd give him $150, which seemed fair. I'm picking it up in a couple of days. Looked completely unmolested from what I could tell. Like I said the PO said the battery was good but the motor was shot. So I'll see. Can these motors be replaced with something newer? What was (is ?) the reputation of Currie Electro Drive? The spec sheet says it's a "500 watt Rear-Mounted Gearless Direct Drive Hub". A few years ago this guy said the bike was pretty good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzeJ5YGYtDQ

I watched that you tube vid you linked to. I have seen many of his vids. First thing to be aware of is he is paid, by the manufacturer or distributer. The relationship could be better characterised as manufacturer/distributer video. He is not going to put a bullet into any product he reviews and takes money for. If he did that and he wont be paid again.

That's good to know, but...
Currie Electro Drive?
500 watt, gearless hub motor?
48v battery?
How bad could it be if I can repair for $300?

Real bad, if the battery holds 56v, but has 1/10 ah capacity. Used batteries are worth zero dollars, until tested for capacity under load. If you pay a hundo for the bike, and get a good charger, I suppose you got good enough deal. But really, 50 bucks is my top price for a non working e bike, unless you'd pay more just for the nice frame. Or if the wheels alone are worth a hundred each, but I bet those are worth 25 each.

The motor can be replaced no problems, but it might just need a hall sensor, or even better, a plug.

Well I pick it up tomorrow night. I'll let you know...
I still think $150 is a fair price but I'll pass on everyone's criticisms and see if thr seller wants to go lower although I'd feel a little cheesy about that as i already agreed on $150 and gave him $50 down payment.

....but I'll pass on everyone's criticisms.....

What you call "criticisms", I would call "warnings", based on decades of experience, especially Dman and I on the battery, which you seem to have already decided is is good, based on what the owner told you (although he "knows nothing").

I'm kind of wondering why you needed to come on here and ask about the thing in the first place.

Decades?????? Who knew they were building ebikes 20 years ago! Learn sumpin' every frickin day!

mammonista said:
Decades?????? Who knew they were building ebikes 20 years ago! Learn sumpin' every frickin day!

I built an onboard solar charged, battery inside the frame, full suspension, ultra lightweight e-bike for a coworker 20 years ago. I saw no reason to ride one myself back then, because I was plenty fast and capable with just the pedals.

As I recall, at that time Currie, Heinzmann, and Bosch were all making e-bike specific motor systems. You could buy a turnkey e-bike from Estelle, ZAP, Charger, EV Global, and Think (Ford). The first Chinese direct drive brushless hub motors that we'd become familiar with were arriving in the US market.

Oh, and by the way, Malcolm Currie's e-bike motors were called USPD twenty years ago. They were brushless and pretty well made, but not very reliable. Later the motors that bore his name would become more Chinese, less efficient, a lot cruder-- and a lot more reliable.

mammonista said:
Well I pick it up tomorrow night. I'll let you know...
I still think $150 is a fair price but I'll pass on everyone's criticisms and see if thr seller wants to go lower although I'd feel a little cheesy about that as i already agreed on $150 and gave him $50 down payment.

Can't do that.

Break the deal. Face the Wheel. "Mad Max #3".

Sounds like it's too late, but I don't like the rear battery carrier, unless it can be removed, or the rim brakes.

So it's been five weeks... long story short, got the bike home. Rear hub motor junk. Water line inside hub! Lmfao. 48v 8.8ah battery solid, could run my fatty with it around town 3 miles. Beyond that? Gave some ebay seller $86 for an identical motor of unknown condition, laced it into the bikes wheel, and tonight it started right up. All the electrics work as they should but all three cables are junk after a winter in Coos Bay Oregon on the deck of a fishing boat. But with exactly $206 invested I'm feeling pretty good. That Currie Electro drive 500w motor pulls like a mule sp to 23mph. A little spit n polish and i might be able to sell it for $500?

Back