Can I switch between those two and if so, what do I need to buy?

Planet Indigo

100 mW
I bought an anti theft skewer to change from a quick release I had on my front wheel, thinking everything was standard 5mm, but upon removing my front quick release, the shaft of it is 9mm diameter...
Can I buy like a hollow adapter to use my anti theft skewer?
Also, if I buy such adapter, is one of the two options safer? It's an ebike with dual suspension.

Attachments

• IMG_20240208_103623518.jpg
    IMG_20240208_103623518.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
I bought an anti theft skewer to change from a quick release I had on my front wheel, thinking everything was standard 5mm, but upon removing my front quick release, the shaft of it is 9mm diameter...
Also, if I buy such adapter, is one of the two options safer? It's an ebike with dual suspension.
That’s not a normal quick release skewer on the left. You need something like this

Specialized hub? Or Ritchey?

The main source of 9mm skewers is those made for car roof racks. Some of them are lockable.

That’s not a normal quick release skewer on the left. You need something like this
Thanks for the link but I'm not sure I can insert that center shaft in my hub since it has extra parts. I guess I'd need something smooth that is 9mm outside diameter and a 5mm hollow space in the middle, just a tube adapter without quick release parts.

Specialized hub? Or Ritchey?

The main source of 9mm skewers is those made for car roof racks. Some of them are lockable.
Yes, you guessed it, my hub is Ritchey brand! Can I fit my anti theft 5mm skewer in it somehow, and if so, would this compromise some safety/strenght?

Yes, you guessed it, my hub is Ritchey brand! Can I fit my anti theft 5mm skewer in it somehow, and if so, would this compromise some safety/strenght?
You can get a regular 9mm QR axle, with no other hardware on it, and put it through the bore of your hub as a spacer. Then you can use your security skewer to lock yourself out of your bike like everybody else does!

You can get a regular 9mm QR axle, with no other hardware on it, and put it through the bore of your hub as a spacer. Then you can use your security skewer to lock yourself out of your bike like everybody else does!
Ok thank you. Do you know if the original 9mm skewer that I have currently is stronger or safer than that replacement combo would be? I read an article online that said that thicker axles were introduced with full suspension and downhill bikes to give more strenght and safety, is that why Ritchey went with that design? What other reason could it be?

Ok thank you. Do you know if the original 9mm skewer that I have currently is stronger or safer than that replacement combo would be? I read an article online that said that thicker axles were introduced with full suspension and downhill bikes to give more strenght and safety, is that why Ritchey went with that design? What other reason could it be?
The thicker (but comparatively thin walled) axle was used for its stiffness and structural integrity. In those days, suspension forks were pretty limp, and beefing up the hub axle was one way to stiffen them up a bit.

9mm quick release skewer was used to fill the fork tips and center the axle. Those are no stronger than normal QR skewers, less elastic so possibly less secure at the same tension, and they tend to break where the smaller diameter steel components mate with the 9mm aluminum rod.

The thicker (but comparatively thin walled) axle was used for its stiffness and structural integrity. In those days, suspension forks were pretty limp, and beefing up the hub axle was one way to stiffen them up a bit.

9mm quick release skewer was used to fill the fork tips and center the axle. Those are no stronger than normal QR skewers, less elastic so possibly less secure at the same tension, and they tend to break where the smaller diameter steel components mate with the 9mm aluminum rod.
So if I understand you correctly, the one piece 9mm axle that is currently on my bike would be stronger and safer than my new combo of 5mm anti theft skewer that would slip inside a 9mm hollow rod? Is that correct?

So if I understand you correctly, the one piece 9mm axle that is currently on my bike would be stronger and safer than my new combo of 5mm anti theft skewer that would slip inside a 9mm hollow rod? Is that correct?
No, I think the standard 5mm skewer is stronger and a little more likely to stay tight than the 9mm skewer in adverse conditions. Because I don't know what kind of anti theft skewer you have, I can't tell you what I think about that.

Closed cam skewers are the strongest and most reliable. Open cam skewers (aluminum lever running on a plastic cradle) are less strong, and skewers you tighten like a bolt are most likely to break because of the twisting action.

Back