Can I Use a Screwdriver As A Key?

docrocket

1 W
I have a Populo Lift V2 that I just got secondhand. I like it pretty well, though it's a bit of a slug.

It didn't come with a key for the battery lock. The key isn't needed to power the bike, just to remove the battery. I've looked for replacement keys online to no avail; Populo is apparently a dead brand and Aventon (the mothership) is aggressively unhelpful.

Can I just drill / screwdriver the battery lock?

docrocket said:
I have a Populo Lift V2 that I just got secondhand. I like it pretty well, though it's a bit of a slug.

It didn't come with a key for the battery lock. The key isn't needed to power the bike, just to remove the battery. I've looked for replacement keys online to no avail; Populo is apparently a dead brand and Aventon (the mothership) is aggressively unhelpful.

Key switches are commodity items. If you can get to the fasteners on the back of your current key switch, you can replace it. The replacement switch will come with keys. Or you can wire the leads to a toggle or button switch instead.

docrocket said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNamd6m_eOM

Assuming this is the style lock:
F-r-Can-Am-Kann-Am-Ryker-600-900cc-Rally-Edition-2019-Fehlt-Parkplatz-Bremse-Schloss.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

It's not that type. The lock assembly is outside the case; the pin is not accessible and it is fastened to the case from inside; it has to be unlocked to be able to non-destructively modify it.

Opening the lock with a raking or bumping technique will probably give you better end results with less work than knackering the lock open destructively.

docrocket said:
It's not that type. The lock assembly is outside the case; the pin is not accessible and it is fastened to the case from inside; it has to be unlocked to be able to non-destructively modify it.

Talking about the cylander. Must be a pretty good lock if it can't be picked.

Picking the lock is best. Once opened, you can usually get to the attachments inside and remove the cylinder. Sometimes you can take apart the cylinder and remove all the tumblers so a screwdriver or any key will turn it, but it looks normal on the outside.
Most likely a wafer tumbler lock. These get pretty ugly when drilled, but it could work if done properly. Forcing it with a screwdriver will most likely break something you don't want to break.

docrocket said:

Drilling does work depending on what material the tumblers are made from.
Brass tumblers are common for inexpensive locks.
There are YouTube videos explaining the process.
Basically a small (1/16") drill bit in the right place and it's easy to open with anything flat-ish.
The idea is to cut the tumblers right at the interface of the cylinder and the lock housing.
Done properly it doesn't appear altered and the original key will also work.

Back