Can pouch cells physically rest on the tab side?

SunGear

1 mW
I'm trying to expand a battery. The matching cells have their tabs on opposing sides and my form factor is gonna have the new cells standing up on end, resting on a tab. Is this gonna damage the cell over time?

Thanks!

999zip999 said:
What cells there may be a ez solution.

https://m.made-in-china.com/product/High-Safety-Li-ion-Batteries-3-7V-60ah-Lithium-Battery-Pouch-Cell-for-Electric-Vehicle-1957693105.html

I'm adding cells to am existing battery so I'm matching existing cells and I have a size constraint so I'm looking at having to have cells stand up on end

I don’t think it’s a good idea to have any weight on the actual tabs. Seems like vibration could cause insulation failure or cracking of the tabs. You might be able to support the cells on either side of the tabs.

fechter said:
I don’t think it’s a good idea to have any weight on the actual tabs. Seems like vibration could cause insulation failure or cracking of the tabs. You might be able to support the cells on either side of the tabs.

Fair point. I can cut up some neoprene foam that will sit around the tab. That way, the load will transfer around it?

No.

Not a good idea at all. I always place on face, or base, of cell. On (bottom) end. Never on tab.

SunGear said:

Fair point. I can cut up some neoprene foam that will sit around the tab. That way, the load will transfer around it?

Load transfer is a fine point of engineering ( the way load travels inside a beam, on a surface, through a medium)... and anything is possible if you are good at designing. However, gravity will always pull downward....

I would make a U shaped brace, and strap the cells in teh middle, to the high sides of the U shaped brace, if you must absolutely have the cell tabs pointing downward against gravity. YOU dont want them smashed downward with the weight of the cells... so a suspended pack strapped into the middle of a U shape brace. Keep load ( weight ) off the tabs for longevity and peace of mine.

I have pictures
I never put tabs down

* Condensation inside battery
* Thru condensation cycle water go to bottom
* Make electrolysis soup

I have packs that have been around for a decade. Those with the tabs up... They show some damage to the bottom of the pouches but not much

Another pack I laid out in the rain for one day tabs down, wicked green and blue soup

I tried to only use can cells now, and I prefer 3.3V.

-methods

I can keep most cells flat but some of them will have to be up on end. I'll have to stick to the neoprene foam spacer for to space but I'll definitely ensure the load doesn't go through the tab itself....maybe double sided tape them on the battery wall? Feel like that could damage the pouch though... Actually I think I could design a 3d printed bracket, with a layer of the neoprene foam, to transfer the load around the tab and on to the side of the cell.

Good point on the water. I can at least make sure those cells stand higher on a cushion or something. The battery box will be full seam welded and lid/wire pass throughs thoroughly caulked so this should prevent any water ingress (do you think I should add a gortex vent?...I was going to at least throw in some silica packs).

...would it be possible to find cells that match but with both tabs up?..I'm not sure how possible that is. Current cells are my best guess.

Back