Car Starter Battery with AMP20M1HD-A

eee291 said:
I also managed to get an alternator to release some smoke by starting charging a 3S Li-ion battery in under a minute at idle.
3S Li-Ion is only 12,6V max , so you have a to high voltage to charge you battery.
If your Li-ion is empty you are at around 9-10V so the alternator has 5,4-4,4V to drive the current through the wires and your Li-Ion pack.
If you have an empty Lifepo you have 10-11V so you have one volt less to drive the current, this will also help to reduce the max current.
How big was your Li-Ion battery?

No doubt you can charge a lifepo battery direct from thr alternator.
But, an alternator is designed as a constant voltage generatorwith the charge current being determined by the battery voltage and IR..IE a variable charge current.
So effectively it is a single stage CV charger……probably not even the correct voltage for those cells,…..
…..whilst a lifepo battery should have a specific CC/Cv charge profile.
This issue has been researched by many auto electrical experts and the recomended solution is a dc/dc charger specificly designed for that chemistry.

by Hillhater » Jan 09 2023 6:48am

No doubt you can charge a lifepo battery direct from thr alternator.
But, an alternator is designed as a constant voltage generatorwith the charge current being determined by the battery voltage and IR..IE a variable charge current.
So effectively it is a single stage CV charger……probably not even the correct voltage for those cells,…..
…..whilst a lifepo battery should have a specific CC/Cv charge profile.
This issue has been researched by many auto electrical experts and the recomended solution is a dc/dc charger specificly designed for that chemistry.

This makes sense. My car does not have alternator or starter. the 12v power supply outputs 75a not sure max voltage i'm sure it tuned to 12v sla. It would be best to still control the amps going into 4s LifePo4 with dc/dc charger at max 8a-10a.

For good longevity a 0.4C charge rate.

In hot temps up to 1C should be OK.

In cooler ambients go slower or cell lifespan will be shortened.

Without strong current limiting in the circuit, sources designed for lead batteries can be burnt out pretty quickly.

Relying on thin conductors to limit current would not be safe IMO without a very smart designer and a very predictable narrow range of factors.

These are A123 cells at 2p I wouldn't worry about changing voltage. With basic cars. I would like to know about balance and lvc and hvc. No runaway cells

The more specific a question is, and the more accurately and precisely it is worded, the better the answers can be.

Example scenarios with actual numbers can help.

Optimizing for longevity the V&A numbers are standard for all LFP.

A123 makes an excellent product, definitely will resist abuse longer than most

Crap cells might only deliver 1500 cycles under the same conditions where quality ones go for 10,000

ZeroEm said:
Have been thinking about this thread a lot. If you control what goes in then how does it supply the car if you can not have an open circuit.

Depending how you set it up something like an off the shelf "ideal diode" may work but still the issue is starting current. Those ideal diodes use a big mosfet that is switched to act like a diode but with less voltage drop but still we're talking a lot of current. The whole trunk mounted battery really throws a wrench in this, my "just use a separate connection for the starter" was so elegant otherwise.

A few things I see. Not sure which are potentially an issue, which can become an issue, and which won't matter.

- each cell has to stay at / below 3.7v. So max battery voltage is 14.8v. You can try to use a resistor on each to try to achieve cell balance. Problem is an alternator can output somewhere between 60-240 amps typically. If it's pushing tons of current into the battery the resistors trying to balance the cells might not be able to dissipate enough energy to achieve balance / prevent overvoltage. As a last resort you disconnect the alternator from charging the battery, this isn't good for the alternator though.

- disconnecting a battery from an alternator while charging typically ends with destroying diodes in an alternator from overvoltage / spikes. The battery would normally absorb these and keep the alternator safe. Race cars have a master kill switch that typically connect a 50w or so resistor from 12v to ground when the killswitch opens to help absorb the extra energy that otherwise has no where to go. The BMS might need control of a load dump resistor to be able to protect the pack and the alternator. Could add a mov / tv's / etc at say 15v as a backup. Just realize these will constantly be absorbing the 80v or so flyback from the starter solenoid when it's released.

-low temp charging might be an issue. You could repurpose the load dump resistor as a battery heater. Would need some temp sensing and logic for this.

-cold starting might pull more current than the battery should allow at that temp. How to prevent someone hitting start?

- Some of these starter batteries have ultracapacitors. Extra complication, cost, voltage mismatches vs. batteries, etc. But they can help with the low temp surge current limitations. Could double up 2 ultracapacitors per cell. Lots of lost capacity this way, worth the cost?

Normal accessory load is less than the surge current to get a starter motor going, especially when cold. Need enough power available to not damage the batteries.

Lots of power mosfets have a diode that is sometimes forgotten about. Power will flow through them, don't forget about them.

Interesting, was unaware of the voltage spike issue from disconnection an alternator but makes sense, also probably depends on the exact alternator in question.

Anyway just thinking out loud some ways to fix this problems with some simple off the shelf parts, because obviously you can fix anything with a custom programmed BMS and software but then you have the reliability problem that may cause. So a supercap bank may be a decent option to both protect the alternator and provide additional starting current (funny enough I messed around with some for this exact purpose, it seems a supercap bank can extend the useful life of an old lead acid battery a bit and they'll pretty much last forever in this use case). Then either get a large enough BMS for starting (or one that can be programmed with a long enough peak time), use a smaller BMS and to control a contactor/mosfet (disabling it's current limiting functions) or connect the starter not through the BMS. Then use a diode to control charging through a suitable resistor or possibly polyfuse along with a thermal switch that limits the charging current to a suitably low current when the temp is below freezing. Throw in some TVS and such for good measure (possibly as a backup to protect the alternator if the supercap doesn't absorb enough) an maybe that would work, I'm sure I've overlooked something.

scianiac said:
Interesting, was unaware of the voltage spike issue from disconnection an alternator but makes sense, also probably depends on the exact alternator in question.

Anyway just thinking out loud some ways to fix this problems with some simple off the shelf parts, because obviously you can fix anything with a custom programmed BMS and software but then you have the reliability problem that may cause. So a supercap bank may be a decent option to both protect the alternator and provide additional starting current (funny enough I messed around with some for this exact purpose, it seems a supercap bank can extend the useful life of an old lead acid battery a bit and they'll pretty much last forever in this use case). Then either get a large enough BMS for starting (or one that can be programmed with a long enough peak time), use a smaller BMS and to control a contactor/mosfet (disabling it's current limiting functions) or connect the starter not through the BMS. Then use a diode to control charging through a suitable resistor or possibly polyfuse along with a thermal switch that limits the charging current to a suitably low current when the temp is below freezing. Throw in some TVS and such for good measure (possibly as a backup to protect the alternator if the supercap doesn't absorb enough) an maybe that would work, I'm sure I've overlooked something.

Supercapacitors / ultracapacitors are also quite sensitive to overvoltage. I'm not sure how much battery, capacitor, or a mix is required to absorb the flyback spike without too much bounce / without worrying. Should be able to catch it on an oscilloscope to verify. A lead acid battery seems to do this just fine.

For clarity there are 2 voltage spike issues to consider. One is disconnecting all alternator, it overvolts and pops the diodes. Second is flyback from inductive loads, starter is the worst I can think of.

As far as I'm aware all alternators can die if they are disconnected while energized. The diodes can sometimes last a few times.

A normal BMS can shunt maybe 1 amp on a cell group. If there's 60 amps coming in that 1 amp very likely won't be enough to prevent overcharging a cell. Not sure I worded that well last post.
Limiting charge current might not be as straight forward as it seems. Voltage regulators might freak out. Newer cars have "smart" voltage regulators that are probably even more sensitive.

Separating the starter wire ads extra challenge into a normal install. Separating the alternator wire would be a similar challenge.

Adding a dc-dc charger could work but would be pricey and adds an extra failure area.

Porsche and a bunch of others seem to have this figured out without all the extra stuff were thinking through. It would be interesting to see some of their BMS' to see what they did and what isn't actually necessary.
There are lots of failed Lifepo4 batteries available on the second hand market. These would also be interesting to understand what they missed and what went wrong.

Jrbe said:
Supercapacitors / ultracapacitors are also quite sensitive to overvoltage. I'm not sure how much battery, capacitor, or a mix is required to absorb the flyback spike without too much bounce / without worrying. Should be able to catch it on an oscilloscope to verify. A lead acid battery seems to do this just fine.

For clarity there are 2 voltage spike issues to consider. One is disconnecting all alternator, it overvolts and pops the diodes. Second is flyback from inductive loads, starter is the worst I can think of.

As far as I'm aware all alternators can die if they are disconnected while energized. The diodes can sometimes last a few times.

A normal BMS can shunt maybe 1 amp on a cell group. If there's 60 amps coming in that 1 amp very likely won't be enough to prevent overcharging a cell. Not sure I worded that well last post.
Limiting charge current might not be as straight forward as it seems. Voltage regulators might freak out. Newer cars have "smart" voltage regulators that are probably even more sensitive.

Separating the starter wire ads extra challenge into a normal install. Separating the alternator wire would be a similar challenge.

Adding a dc-dc charger could work but would be pricey and adds an extra failure area.

Porsche and a bunch of others seem to have this figured out without all the extra stuff were thinking through. It would be interesting to see some of their BMS' to see what they did and what isn't actually necessary.
There are lots of failed Lifepo4 batteries available on the second hand market. These would also be interesting to understand what they missed and what went wrong.

I think a modest supercap bank with emergency TVS diodes would be enough, I don't think the total energy of the spike should be that much, also we aren't just disconnecting the alternator, it's still powering everything else in the car, we're just disconnecting it from charging the battery which is probably a pretty small load so actually maybe there won't be much of a voltage spike?

The inductive spike from the starter may be something but if connected directly to the battery it would probably soak it up just fine, just like the lead acid does. Yes more wiring to do so but not much if the battery is in the engine compartment.

I don't think limiting charge current should be very difficult, worst case would be a "dead" battery at maybe 10V so 14V assuming a big power resistor to slow that down and the fact that we can probably put quite a lot of charge current into an LFP large enough and high current enough to start a car. I'm more worried about the diode required to make such a simple plan work.

I have a failed motorcycle LFP battery here, haven't opened it up because it's going to require some serious cutting but it seems to have no BMS at all and you have to buy a special charger to balance it and it seems it died just from one cell going dead.

Worth a read, https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-4-0-gt4-gt4rs-spyder-25th-anniversary/1249451-light-weight-battery-options-2.html
They get into what happens with no BMS there (Antigravity), some of the functions their BMS has, as well as some of the car side system issues they experienced and how sensitive they can be.
There's another post from antigravity that gets into charging a dead (below 10v) battery. That's where the charge limiting comes into play. Seems like a requirement as some of you guys mentioned and makes sense. Could look at how big of a resistor would be required to do this as the dead battery charge option. For me it would probably just mean writing the battery off for safety. Makes sense for low temp charging though.

I'm not sure exactly what causes the spike in the alternator side besides having no load connected. It's not the battery energy being disconnected that's causing the issue, it's the lack of load. This alternator damage can still happen with minimal accessories on if you disconnect a battery while running the car.

It's the same kind of problem that happens (though rarely) when running a DD hubmotor on a vehicle or bicycle, and the battery's BMS shuts off connection to the controller for any reason--if the motor is spinning fast enough to produce a no-load voltage higher than the FETs of the controller can take...POOF. It may even take out the BMS FETs if the conditions and design allow.

This usually happens with a common-port BMS during regen braking conditions when the battery is nearly full already, and the charge current vs cell resistance raises the cell voltages enough to cause the BMS to turn off the charge port for HVC (especially if the design also shuts the discharge port off during HVC).

But it could also happen for any other situation where the BMS disconnects the cells from the controller, and the controller doesn't have enough other ways of absorbing the voltage spike that results from the change in current in the motor, if that spike is higher than the FETs can take and long enough to do the damage.

A small cheap lead battery hardwired to the alternator side will act as a buffer for the load dump.

No need to test its SoH, just replace it every few years

john61ct said:
A small cheap lead battery hardwired to the alternator side will act as a buffer for the load dump.

No need to test its SoH, just replace it every few years

Agreed, but goes against the "get the lead out" I think OP is trying to achieve.

Back