Causes of Hall Effect Sensors to die?

Lensfort

1 µW
New 8000W hub motor ebike from Alibaba.
Sabvoton 72100.

Yesterday I had a hall effect sensor die. I contacted the seller, and they were great, told me that the motor I have has actually 2x sets of hall effect sensors, and to switch the cable over to the second.
I did and back up and running.

Question I have is what can cause them to die?
I did enable regen braking @ 50A, can that cause it?
Or likely just a bad sensor?
I ordered some more sensors and plan to replace the faulty ones soon

Seller even gave me the specific HE sensor model of SS413F
While I'm here: Does anyone know the difference between SS413F and regular SS41 HE sensors?

Lensfort said:
Question I have is what can cause them to die?
It's pretty common for the parts used in ebike stuff to be counterfeit parts, or clones of the brand names, that don't meet the specifications of the brand name parts, and may not be capable of dealing with the same limits. They are also probably not handled with ESD-preventive measures, and so can get damaged in a way that allows later failure or weird behavior. So it could be the parts themselves.

It's also common for the hall wires to be bundled closely and even interwoven with the phase wires in the motor-to-controller cable, and you can get induced currents (and voltages) on things that if the spikes are high enough voltage could damage the parts (a higher possibility in combination with the first issue). This sometimes causes hall errors in various controllers that use extra-low-voltages (~3v, vs the more typical 5v, or the even better 12v) on the hall signal lines, even when there's no actual hardware failure.

Could even be that they didn't glue the sensors into the slots, and the one that "failed" has simply slid out enough to not be reliably activated by the magnets.

Or that there is a bad crimp on the hall connector signal contact for that hall, or broken wire between thtat contact and the hall itself (usually right at the back fo the connector, or just at the motor-cable-entracne at the axle).

While I'm here: Does anyone know the difference between SS413F and regular SS41 HE sensors?
I haven't looked at them yet, and am too tired to do so at the moment, but if you wnat to check it out in the meantime, the detailed specifics are in this datasheet, which covers the 400 series
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/187/honeywell_hwscs05898-1-1735647.pdf
and this, which covers the 41 series
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/187/honeywell-sensing-bipolar-hall-effect-digital-posi-1846288.pdf

Back