CBA II problem: stops test part way?

PaulM

100 W
Has anyone had this problem before?

Testing a few batteries at work has revealed this problem. The CBA stops testing only 1 or 2 Ah into the test, the Ah display shows "NaN", the current display is 0 or NaN, the voltage display is the actual voltage and the fan and both LED's are still on. Restarting the computer hasn't made a difference.

Thanks in advance for the help!

A couple of questions...
- Has this problem ever happened before?
- Has the CBA ever worked properly on this system? If not, try another one.
- If it has worked before on this system, try a different USB port. If a desktop, use one on the back of the system. If using a laptop, make sure it's not hibernating or going to sleep during the discharge. Best not to use a laptop at all as the USB ports often don't supply enough current to properly operate a CBA.
- What's the battery voltage? What are the CBA settings you used?

This is the first I've seen this problem, although it has probably been 2 years since I last used it. I used to use it on an old laptop with no problems. The first test at work (also on a laptop) worked ok, but that was it. I will give it a try at home on the original computer I used in the past. Battery is a 12V 24Ah lead acid discharging at 3 amps.

Trying it again on a system you know worked earlier is a great idea.
Which system were you using when you had trouble with the CBA, the work laptop? Or a different system (laptop or desktop)?

If it was the work laptop that you were using when you had problems, did you use a different USB port? Could the laptop have gone into sleep or hibernate mode? Was the laptop using its battery instead of being plugged in? Any of these could cause the USB port to stop working properly or supply less current than the CBA needs.

The two tests I did at home here worked fine, so it must be my work laptop causing problems.

It was plugged in and I know it didn't hibernate or sleep, so it might be a problem with the USB port or the software. I think I'll just bring the batteries home and test them here; it's not worth time to sort out the problems for only a couple tests.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Back