Change the trim pot on a charger to get more range?

RTh is a thermistor. we call them Inrush Current Limiters ICL and they soften the blow of turning on the charger since the input to the charger looks like a dead short and the thermistor has a cold value of 5 ohms. when current flows through it they get hot and the resistance drops to almost zero but they stay hot.

i have some if you are interested in taking the charger apart and soldering a new one in it's place.

if you take the end off you might be able to get your soldering iron in close to the legs of the ICL and pull them out after heating the solder to melting.

after you get the legs out you can try to use a solder sucker to clear the solder from the holes or you can heat the solder in the hole up with the soldering iron and then whack the charger upside down on the table to get the solder to fly outa the hole, one at a time.

then solder the new ICL in place.

or you could try to melt the solder in the hole and push the leg of the ICL into the melted solder and then reflow some new solder around the leg to make a good contact.

Thank you for the reply.

At other chargers at this RTH place there is only a brigde I think. I don't know what it means in this place. My charger with the broken ICL still works. But if I put the plug into the socket an electric spark comes from this ICL.

Maybe I have such a ICL on old mainboards from computer or somthing else. Are there any types of it available? But you can send some of these to me. I think thats not too expensive.

Back