Cheap, but decent sensored sine wave controller

Dumsterdave

100 W
I am looking for a somewhat cheap controller for a 52v battery that can handle 40A peaks. Its like a jungle out there. I currently have a phaserunner on one bike and then 3 or 4 kt controllers lying around, but they all have some sort of problem and I dont know enough about electronics to troubleshoot them. So basically Im just looking for a cheaper controller/display combo. Anyone got any good links?

Dumsterdave said:
I am looking for a somewhat cheap controller for a 52v battery that can handle 40A peaks. Its like a jungle out there. I currently have a phaserunner on one bike and then 3 or 4 kt controllers lying around, but they all have some sort of problem and I dont know enough about electronics to troubleshoot them. So basically Im just looking for a cheaper controller/display combo. Anyone got any good links?
I've had very good luck with the Phaserunner/Cycle Analyst combo on four ebikes now. Could it be that you are setting it up wrong? There's a lot to set up on them.

Dumsterdave said:
I am looking for a somewhat cheap controller for a 52v battery that can handle 40A peaks.

Do you need silent running, or only a cheap controller? As I understand it, the are two basic kinds of sine wave controllers-- FOC, which is never cheap and not necessarily a sine wave, but is efficient and quiet; and controllers that deliver some version of a sine wave without regard to feedback from the motor. The latter can be cheap-ish, and quiet, but are not any more efficient or otherwise better than trapezoidal wave controllers.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want a cheap controller, and if it's okay to make a sound, then maybe you should use a trapezoidal wave controller. That's both cheap and easy to find.

JackFlorey said:
I've had very good luck with the Phaserunner/Cycle Analyst combo on four ebikes now. Could it be that you are setting it up wrong? There's a lot to set up on them.

Sorry, I guess i wasnt very clear... Not sure why I even needed to mention the phaserunner. It works perfect and has been for a few years. I too use a phaserunner/CAv3 combo. The only downside for me with that setup, is the acceleration is smoother, but slower than other chinese controllers ive used in the past.

Anyways, This post was actually just a request for links to cheap controllers. I have a tandem project going on now that I dont want to spend a lot of money on. Its going to sit out on the street 24/7 so i dont want to risk losing a lot of money.

So basically I have an old tandem that Im currently converting. I already laced up a 1500W leaf motor, but when i tried to hook it up to a controller i had, it didnt work. So i tried another controller... didnt work. The controllers wouldnt even power on. Then i hooked up my phaserunner and it worked. So the motor itself is working, but the controllers i have sitting around dont work (besides my phaserunner which im not going to use on this bike).

I have a few 48v and 52v batteries sitting around that need to be put to use. I have a few old displays from past projects. Im not sure whats compatible with what, so Im thinking I just want to get a controller/display combo. So basically its just plug and play. Ive spent too many hours splicing, soldering, crimping etc... Im a busy father of two with plenty of other hobbies as well. So basically I just want to get this thing out on the road as quickly and easily as possible.

The bike is going to be sitting outside, chained to a bike rack, so i dont want to spend a lot of money on components (Im in Denmark, we have bike theft, but its probably not as bad as the UK/US).

Sine wave would be preferred, but not neccesary.

Thanks

goatman said:
the baserunner does 35amps? and cheaper than phaserunner

Ive considered that, but its still a little too pricey. I would have to buy another CAv3 as well since I plan on this bike having pedal assist. As far as im aware, baserunner/phaserunner will operate fine without a display using a throttle, but not PAS.

So, basically i just want a cheap chinese controller with display combo. I guess i can go out and buy pretty much anything since many of them are very similiar regarding price, but i was just curious if anyone has a good link to one. Ill probably just grab a cheap kt controller and be done with it.

Back