Cheap/old motorcycle to rent for a bit for CA license?

ryan

10 kW
Anyone in the SF Bay Area have an old cheap rusty light, (but working) bike I can rent for a bit to get my Motorcycle License? One I could buy if I laid it down or otherwise harmed?

I'm not ready to go and get my own bike yet (maybe never), but I'd like to get my license.

Is this the right way to go about it? Or do you have another recommendation?

If you have never ridden a motorcycle, I would recommend getting a scooter of sufficient engine size that would qualify as a motorcycle since that would be easier to ride and you won't have to mess with learning to shift with your left foot and using the left "brake lever" as clutch as it takes a little getting used to.

Also you wouldn't find a cheap scooter as hard to find as a cheap motorcycle (assuming CA has similar licensing of scooters with larger sized motors).

I took a 'Ride with Pride' course, which was a 2 day, 8 hour session. We went over the basics, and then took the test at the end. They provided bikes, only one person ended up dumping it. I have never been on a motorcycle prior, never stalled it once, and never had an issue shifting. I suppose my experience is not typical, since most people there were idiots doing 3rd and 4th gear launches, which of course ended up in stalling many times. Know what gear your are in at all times, and understand the mechanics behind the clutch. Its quite simple, everyone there passed, even though I would have failed most of them.

I would imagine something like this exists in CA, it was under $200 in total, including DMV fees. You just needed a permit prior.

I don't know your age, but below a certain age (21, 18, or 16?) you need to enroll in and pass a training program. Passing the program (using provided 250cc or smaller bikes) means that you don't have to go to the DMV and slow ride a twisty course between the lines without having your feet touch the ground. The course was very difficult for me to master on a 639 pound BMW inline 4 banger.

My son took such a course in San Diego in the '90's and found it useful and affordable. The courses were group courses with about 15 people per class and 1 bike per rider. I think there were 4 or 5 different sessions held evenings and / or weekends.

I recommend taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. They'll provide the (tiny, non-threatening) bike, and your completion certificate substitutes for the DMV skills test. It's a good deal.

Chalo

EDIT: See? Others agree. I guess I could have read ahead a bit and saved my $0.02 worth.

Back