Chinese motor and controller

chef

1 µW
Hi,

I want to build a small car, and I found this kit:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32862749941.html

KUNRAY BLDC 72V 3000W Brushless Motor Kit With 24 Mosfet 50A Controller For Electric Scooter E bike E-Car Engine Motorcycle Part

Does it really work with 3000w?
It will drive a 250KG @ 40KM/H?
Anyone ever tried it and can give any review / suggestion?

Thanks,
Chef.

I don't have any experience with that particular motor, but it will be way too small to push a 250kg vehicle on any kind of incline. It will overheat. Even 10kW will struggle with that much weight.

I dont know how it would work for vehicles but i used a 48v version of that motor and have been very happy with it so far. I used it to replace a gas engine on an outboard.

The motor is too small for 250kg unless you use a high reduction ratio with top speed below 40 kph. And what fechter said.

chef said:
I want to build a small car
Without knowing many more details, such as desired speed, terrain, weather (winds), usage, acceleration rate required, etc., we can't say what you'll need with any certainty.

However, it's a fair bet you'll need something like ten times the amount of power you're looking at to run a car at anything like typical car-like speeds or accelerations, even if it is only 250kg total including passengers, cargo, frame, wheels, tires, suspension, motor, batteries, etc.

I suspect you'll end up with a lot more weight than that, because my SB Cruiser trike, bicycle-based, with me on it, is around that weight. That doesnt' count any cargo (or dogs) I carry in it (which can be another 150kg or so max I've tried so far), which add to the power requirements to accelerate from a stop or climb any slopes.

It's meant for smaller stuff than cars, but you can go to http://ebikes.ca/simulator , read the entire page, and then setup different systems with various amounts of power, and see if they will go the speeds and acclerations that you will need, with the weight and slopes you're going to have. You may have to use custom motors (or dual motors using systems A and B together) controllers and batteries in the simulator to get the power levels you're after.

You should explain a bit more what kind of car you're projecting to build. It's impossible to really answer or give proper advice without knowing the specifics of what you are attempting to build :)

Anyway, from the few information we already have, I'd say that this probably won't work, or it will be extremely weak.
As some other people said earlier, you probably need at least 10KW to get this thing moving decently.

Let's wait for some more info and hopefully we'll be able to better guide you ;)

It depends on what you mean by "car" and what kind of conditions you are going to use it in.

I have not tried that motor, but I've seen ones like it and used something similar. 3000w is 4 horse power. enough to get a gocart up to 40kph if you have the right gearing and enough flat ground to get it up to speed.
For comparison, a Tuk tuk (Rickshaw) run 7 to 10hp, and can get up to 40kph, but they average something more like 25kph

Back