Circuit Breaker for high-power ebike

jgetma

10 µW
People with ridiculous high-power ebikes: what (if anything) do you use as a circuit breaker between your controller and battery?

The bike I'm building will use the Sabvoton 72200 controller (200A battery current) and 72V 42Ah battery.

The peak current in the system will be roughly 200A.

What kind of circuit breaker would work best in such a system and where in the wiring harness would be the best place to put it?

jgetma said:
People with ridiculous high-power ebikes: what (if anything) do you use as a circuit breaker between your controller and battery?

The bike I'm building will use the Sabvoton 72200 controller (200A battery current) and 72V 42Ah battery.

The peak current in the system will be roughly 200A.

What kind of circuit breaker would work best in such a system and where in the wiring harness would be the best place to put it?

Assuming that you're using it for short circuit protection, rather than current limiting (like with the BMS and controller), then I'd install a fast acting fuse with a suitable margin of capacity over 200A on the positive battery lead.

E-HP said:
Assuming that you're using it for short circuit protection, rather than current limiting (like with the BMS and controller), then I'd install a fast acting fuse with a suitable margin of capacity over 200A on the positive battery lead.

Thank you! would one of these work? Also, why on positive lead, rather than negative?

Back