Controller settings...

PlanetDad

100 mW
Hello guys hope everyone healthy!

A year ago I put together a 1500W DD rear build. Was always suspicious of why my battery drained so fast. Using a 48V 17.5ah pack that I would loose about a 1 volt per mile (assumed it was due to me using the throttle allot)

Just revived and started testing a 1200w DD for the front, with two identical 20ah packs.

I had changed the settings on the 1500W kit from 5 to 9 power level settings, thinking I could fine tune to use just what I needed in the current Terrain. The new kit is at 5 and uses FAR LESS in the same distance (Yes smaller motor yes it is set at 70% of the other kit, so there would be some )

Why would the change in 5 to 9 settings make a difference?

Did I do some damage to the 1500w riding over 1000 miles on that setting?

unless your hall/phase combination was wrong on original DD hub. do you know how many amps you were pulling under no load? volt a mile with a 17.5 ah pack. that's not even 15 mile range.

I would think PAS9 on a 9 level is same as PAS5 on a 5 level. Otherwise, we're in the realm where science can't be trusted no more.

Your 17AH battery is good for 10 miles? That would be 48 x 17ah equals 830 WH, Even if I call it 600 WH, that's still 60WH/mile. Crazy high.

If you run two motors and one is set lower power than the other, the lower power motor will supply very little work. It will supply its power from the moment the other one does lag. As long as the most powerful motor will achieve the speed command, the lower power motor will just follow with minimal force, like it is running unloaded. That is about half of the time in city commuting, that your smaller motor is just about useless. You can correct this by increasing the speed demand to the small motor, so it will always try to catch up. :idea:

markz said:
Because 9 uses more power then 5. Is it a KT controller, and the 5/9 is your pas setting?

My understanding is level 5 and 9 have the same max draw ( throttle only, no zero start ), just broke up differently ( I could be wrong on this ). Talked with the supplier of the motor today and he didn't have a solid explanation.

What I did not mention is that the new battery followed the same discharge curve, almost identical. Even with the front motor helping out and with a new pack. My next step is to charge both packs completely and use the pack designated to the front hub on the rear do to make sure the problem is isolated to the 1500W.

To answer the other post's, yes the front will use less and It's level is always set just below the rear. Also the extra weight added with both kits and all the other toys. Had to modify the rear suspension so i could fit everything.

I have barely got it bench tested, final parts will be arriving ( not soon enough thanks to the state of things ) and can call it ready enough for my daily commute that will be the true test. Over all very happy in how its turning out, 35 mph in a very short distance without full throttle so not like its broken, just noticing something off.

Take care you guys!

Back