Cool go kart :D

Skalabala

1 kW
Hi members :)

This looks like fun. I like the motor(s) Said to be 3,27kw/kg :D
[youtube]zI0TNk5gLbU[/youtube]

Love go carts with their low c o g and responsive steering but not a fan of two stroke, these will pave their way into the future of indoor carting

Skalabala said:
Hi members :)

This looks like fun. I like the motor(s) Said to be 3,27kw/kg :D
[youtube]zI0TNk5gLbU[/youtube]

I had the pleasure of sharing a pit with an electric kart that appeared to be much lighter, get much better traction, and accelerate much more quickly than the kart in the video (though maybe the kart in the video is just geared tall.)

20140720_131855.jpg

20140720_121256.jpg

liveforphysics said:
I had the pleasure of sharing a pit with an electric kart that appeared to be much lighter, get much better traction, and accelerate much more quickly than the kart in the video (though maybe the kart in the video is just geared tall.)
Two very different "types" of kart.
The first is (was) a "sprint" kart, purpose designed for short circuit tracks... The typical purpose built kart tracks like you might see in Europe.
The white kart is a " long track" design , intended for higher speed full sized circuits like Laguna etc. And yes , much "taller" gearing needed for that.
Both look like very professional conversions, but they probably could have made a better, lighter, battery choice for the first kart, ...looks like a pack of 18s, 6p Headway 10ahrs cells on each side.
So probably 75 kg of cells in total !

doctorGONZO said:
What are the rules about wheel diameter in karts?
Regulated Sprint karts, ( most karts up to the 125 cc international class), run 5" dia rims, 8" wide,. 11" OD tyres in the rear.
The bigger engined gearbox class karts and long track karts run 6" dia rims.
Rim material varies from cast aluminium, spun alloy, to magnesium and CF.

Don't know what batteries those really are, or how volatile they might be. But this configuration reminds me of the time when autoracing experimented with sidepod fuel cells. A very explosive era.

When gokarts race, the wheels of one regularly bang into the side of another.

riba2233 said:
It has headway 38120HP cells. Old, heavy, and expensive.

They really old and heavy? How about the 40160S?

riba2233 said:
Still, lifepo4. He should have used some modern 18650 high power cells.
I dont think they would be suitable.
Their pack is capable of 750 amp bursts, and 260volts
so even using 18650's capable of 30 amp burst, it would need a 25p arrangement to provide that power.
and 25p of 18650 weighs more than 3p of those headways !
Best option would be the nanotech lipo.

Hillhater said:
riba2233 said:
so even using 18650's capable of 30 amp burst, it would need a 25p arrangement to provide that power.

That long-course kart does use RC LiPo. I think it's a 3.5kWh pack of 50C discharge cells IIRC.

Hillhater said:
riba2233 said:

No way that 3p of those headways can provide 750a! And those 18650 cells have much stronger bursts, have you seen the samsung 25r datasheet? 30a is continuous rate, but with some kind of cooling system. Also, agni motor cant take even near 750 a.

Lipo would still be better option, yes.

Won't 18650 be more expensive and trouble?

riba2233 said:
those 18650 cells have much stronger bursts, have you seen the Samsung 25r datasheet? 30a is continuous rate, but with some kind of cooling system. Also, agni motor cant take even near 750 a.

Lipo would still be better option, yes.

Actually the Samsung data sheet gives the 25R continuous rating as 20Amps,!.. and even at that it hits 95 deg C within a few mins, so yes, a cooling system would be needed. More unnecessary weight that is not realistic on a Kart.

Skalabala said:
Won't 18650 be more expensive and trouble?

Expensive - for that quantity, no; trouble however - definitely :) But it's worth it, because in the end you have a pack that is three times smaller and only half the weight of lifepo4.

Hillhater said:
Actually the Samsung data sheet gives the 25R continuous rating as 20Amps,!.. and even at that it hits 95 deg C within a few mins, so yes, a cooling system would be needed. More unnecessary weight that is not realistic on a Kart.

Ok, still enough for angi. 3p headway hp is around 300 A cont, and 12p samsung 25r is 240 A cont, or 300 if you count 25 A per cell. Or 360 A if you use sony vtc5, but that's more expensive option.

Weight - 3p headway - 1 kg, 12p 18650 - 540 g. (cells only for each case). So you can use 14p 18650 to match the current rating, and still have pack that is much lighter :D

PS. we could rate headway 80 A per cell continuous, according to this page:

http://www.eclipsebikes.com/headway-lifepo4-38120hp-p-1094.html

Which makes it the same as samsung 25R. You also get greater capacity with 18650 (24Ah vs 30 Ah)

Hillhater said:
They claim each of their modified motors will draw 400 amps .
And they have a 600 amp controller
Better think of a really effective cooling system for that pack !

If system voltage is 260 V, then agnies must be connected in series, which means that battery pack only has to be capable of 400 amps.

700 A might be only the motor current (not battery current), but I highly doubt that. Agni has it's limits.

Back