Crystalyte H4080 problem

NHM

1 mW
My sensorless H4080 decided to stop working yesterday and I need a bit of advise on where to start my troubleshooting. Its run 2000 smooth miles so far.
Symptom is that motor vibrates when opening throttle but no power. The vibration increases as I open the throttle until is just turns off.
I have checked all connectors etc and they seem ok.
Should I have a look at the motor and cabling or the controller first?
Would this resemble the problem with a disconnected cable at the motor shaft? It seems this is a reoccurring problem

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

/Neil

It sounds to me like one of you're phase wires connections is bad. Recheck all the connections going from the controller to the motor, including the cable itself. If you are running high current (over 3kw) The stock phase wire going into the motor could possibly have melted from the heat of the motor. It could be something else (like the speed controller unit) if you can't possibly find a fault in the connections.

I hope this helps!

Got it. Will start at the motor wires.
Im very carefull of overvolting and have a 1500W max setting on my CA.
Do though have a very annoying slip on the torque arm that causes one side of the shaft to slip every time i regen brake and power back up. Maybe this has cause a wire to fray

So. Took the motor apart and checked the wiring. It all looks good.... No sign of frayed wires.
Did notice some corosion on Brushes and Commutator. Could that cause it to fail?
Whats the signs of missing mosFET´s? Could that be it?

Bike upside down opening throttle slowly. Motor gets a pulse but cannot move wheel. Pulse increases when I increase throttle.

Attachments

• 013968224c1add3904d32acf8e82078c2dbf3d3793.jpg
    013968224c1add3904d32acf8e82078c2dbf3d3793.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 843
  • 0151244b03f68999c0a25b13b2f076a391f24c38ae.jpg
    0151244b03f68999c0a25b13b2f076a391f24c38ae.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 843
Hi NHM :)

Just from the top pic it looks like you could do with some heatshrink to cover that split in the cable. I'd do a phase to phase resistance check and make sure there are no shorts between the the hub and the windings, however I'd suspect a bank of FET's have gone on your controller. Open up your controller and the most obvious sign is a leg on a FET will be obviously damaged.

Cheap option replace all the FETS in that phase bank or just replace the controller, depends on your soldering skills and price of soldering iron vs controller :). Top tip if replacing the FETS, cut the legs off the main body to make it easy to remove each pin seperately, resoldering doesn't really matter as long as you've cleared the pin holes sufficiently :).

Meanwhile as your motor is open, might be worth cleaning out the corrosion, check/replace bearings and spraying your internals with a high temp paint to minimise future issue's :).

just one other thing. Your motor is a brushless motor. That means there are no brushes or commutator.

Back