Crystalyte NEW HIGH POWER hub motor...TheCrown

Soo crown motor vs hs40... Goo

sacko said:
I was under the impression that the TC80 would do 80km/h @ 72v 50amps.

The simulator shows 58km/h in a 26" wheel?

Wind AND battery resistance... 0.2ohms is huge, my back has ~0.052ohms and I use the cheapest turnigys. Nanotech will be even lower, makes a huge difference. Still with these values, the TC80 should be called TC65 and the TC100 should be called TC 75. Looks like they specify no-load speed here With that rating, my Delta terminated HS3540 is in fact a "HS35-158", due 158kph no-load @72V :shock:

Look at your range using a large 1kwh pack :D A bit too much consumption for my taste

Attachments

• TC100_1kwh_25km range.png
    TC100_1kwh_25km range.png
    46 KB · Views: 4,331
Is it actually true that no single person has a TC-100 on a bike or in a vice spinning loaded or unloaded to say, "oh wow this is great" or "oh my everyone, close your wallets for now!"
I'm rather keen to enjoy all of the speculative possibilities that these motors might bring, but also have the natural feeling of staying reserved until I see or hear of actual experiences.

Hey YOU! reading this, do YOU have a Crown running? make me a believer! :lol:

devorion said:

I'm also waiting for some experiences with the Crown, but i think if the ">72V issue" still is present these motors become more and more uninteresting for high powered bikes (moped style).

I decided to go with the Cromotor and it rocks :D

I own one TC80... Impressive beast, not easy to imagine what to do with it.

Must admit I try to do something useful with it, not an "all out" project but a neat daily driver with 50/50 balance energy wise, muscular vs electric. Ribbon at 170-200 W from soup motor, peaks to 1.6-2 kW from the Crown. Solar charge, as usual for my projects from 2008 on.
Plan to stay with 58 V 40 A so far, in a velomobile. Heat issues with many motors due to lack of cooling, big mass and steep hill around here. 145 kg total, 0.14 CdA, almost no air flow on fully enclosed motor.

Probably the weakest Crown setup, but if it fits my needs who cares.

No need for me to see a big project to become a believer, but I'd be more than happy to see the "usual" extreme project this kind of motor calls for.
If someone has a fun setup to show, please do !

madin88 said:
devorion said:

I'm also waiting for some experiences with the Crown, but i think if the ">72V issue" still is present these motors become more and more uninteresting for high powered bikes (moped style).

I decided to go with the Cromotor and it rocks :D

Ok, so my first post in the forum. I'll get around to an avatar and witty signature later :wink:

I've just strapped one to by first ebike. Full suspension Giant.

Running 84v lipo and it's big smiles all around. Massive amount of torque and plenty of speed. Motor temp really tested as I'm in Singapore so running in 30-35C heat.

Was running the battery in a backpack but made the bike a wheelie monster and very twitchy over rough ground if nudging the throttle. Now running the pack in custom made metal box underslung on downtube. Made massive difference to handling and easier to ride/control.

Which motor was this? TC80, TC100 etc.

What speeds were you achieving?

Which controller were you using?

I presume you mean a 20s lipo? If so, nominal voltage is 3.7v = 74v

sacko said:
Which motor was this? TC80, TC100 etc.

What speeds were you achieving?

Which controller were you using?

I presume you mean a 20s lipo? If so, nominal voltage is 3.7v = 74v

It's the TC100

I chickened out at around 80kph according to the CA v3

Crystalyte controller that came with it 50amp I think

Battery supposed to be 72v 11ah but the CA is showing it at 83.3v fully charged. So 4.2v cells would give roughly 84v with 20s

Guess that means battery chemistry is lithium....something :shock:

I presume that is a 26" wheel?

Yes, 84v fully charged, but you should rate its nominal voltage, not its fully chaged voltage.

Either way, that is impressive. Any pictures?

Have you checked the unloaded speed by any chance?

The TC100 is capable of 100kmh @ 72v, but nobody has confirmed if that is a loaded or an unloaded speed.

I can't imagine the torque with a TC65...having broken my axel on and HS4065 I'm not sure it will and handle so much torque with just extra 3mm...(15mm axle for the crown isn't it ?)what's the weight plz ? w, W/o rims, tyres as you want...is it 50mm wide magnest or 40 ?

sacko said:

Yes, 84v fully charged, but you should rate its nominal voltage, not its fully chaged voltage.

The TC100 is capable of 100kmh @ 72v, but nobody has confirmed if that is a loaded or an unloaded speed.

Yes 26" wheel with Specialized hard track nobblies.

I'll put up a build thread when I've got some decent finished pictures, planning on riding to work again on it so will get some pics by marina bay or along F1 pits perhaps during lunch :)

Unloaded speed (presumably lifting rear wheel off the ground?) I did that before adjusting the number of poles on the CA and it was showing something like 250kph :) when I adjusted poles on a low battery it was 95+kph. I'll double check on a full charge and grab a pic of the CA to show the reading but will need to wait until end of the week.

dan974 said:
I can't imagine the torque with a TC65...having broken my axel on and HS4065 I'm not sure it will and handle so much torque with just extra 3mm...(15mm axle for the crown isn't it ?)what's the weight plz ? w, W/o rims, tyres as you want...is it 50mm wide magnest or 40 ?

Torque is an issue. I had a torque arm on the chain side and after my shake down runs noticed some movement of the left dropout. Luckily I spotted early before the axle could twist and open the drop out.

Waiting on a second arm from Canada which is due Friday. Once that's on I can be harder with the throttle and give it some beans :))

Axle is 14mm.

Forget about ready made torque arms if you are after any acceleration power. That is a common newbie mistake. You have to make your own custom torque plates, and they need to be thick and tight.

MadRhino said:
Forget about ready made torque arms if you are after any acceleration power. That is a common newbie mistake. You have to make your own custom torque plates, and they need to be thick and tight.

I looked into that but have zero metalworking skill and no metalwork machines so opted for the ones sold by grin. Pretty thick and tight on the side I had one so double should work.

This is a massive learning curve for me but enjoying every minute :)

WeejockpoopongMcPlop said:
sacko said:

Yes 26" wheel with Specialized hard track nobblies.

I'll put up a build thread when I've got some decent finished pictures, planning on riding to work again on it so will get some pics by marina bay or along F1 pits perhaps during lunch :)

Unloaded speed (presumably lifting rear wheel off the ground?) I did that before adjusting the number of poles on the CA and it was showing something like 250kph :) when I adjusted poles on a low battery it was 95+kph. I'll double check on a full charge and grab a pic of the CA to show the reading but will need to wait until end of the week.

Ok, update on the unloaded speed. Double checked the wheel settings on the CA and they were a little off so think the 80kph must have been off as well. All adjusted and now spot on.

Just finished fitting the second torque arm and charging battery.

Unloaded the CA was showing 110kph with rear wheel off the ground. There's thunder in the air here now so depending on the weather I can see the top speed on level ground later today.

So no one has figured out the over 72 volts issue? Was hoping to run a 90v Nmc but might have to opt for the cromotor if this thing still has issues at higher voltages.

johnrobholmes said:
I may be building up a wheelset with this hub, I was contacted in the last few days about it. My 11/12 butted spokes may give a better fitment unless Xlyte brought their tolerance down to mate tightly with 12ga spokes. I will be interested to actually build up the wheel and get some hands on it. Personally I would love to see Kenny start offering 2.3mm spoke holes and keep with regular flanges or straight pull designs. I made a jig just for HS hubs to redrill them for proper sized spokes with bicycle rims.

[/snobby rant]

Dear John,

have you had this motor in hand? managed to spoke it? if so, could you give us some feedback?

thanks!

sacko said:

I have the TC100. The unload speed is 120kph at 100V. My top speed is about 90Kph with 100V 50A. I will do some modification to my controller to increase the current. 0 to 75Kph is very easy with this motor.

@dotrick
so TheCrown runs good on 100Volts or do you have any issues with it?

wich controller do you use?

we want some pics...:)

@WeejockpoopongMcPlop
how is your bike?

what speed could you achieve with it?

we want some pics...:)

wingsuit said:
So no one has figured out the over 72 volts issue? Was hoping to run a 90v Nmc but might have to opt for the cromotor if this thing still has issues at higher voltages.

According to Justin at ebike.ca, he said he has not heard from his customer about the crown not working at 100V.

I have a 24s limn battery and plan to get the tc-80 once it is in stock from the grin. I will let you guys know if it will work or not.

RoughRider said:
@dotrick
so TheCrown runs good on 100Volts or do you have any issues with it?

wich controller do you use?
Yes, no problem! I ride 500Km, it's OK. I use the Justin's Controller 12xFET4110. I did a modification on Rshunt. Now, my current limit is 50A. I did several ride of 12km at 50-70kph (average 30kph), and no problem. The temperature of the casing of the motor and controller was under 30 degC.
I think I can increase the power! :D

it is good to hear that there is no issue with TheCrown on high voltage... :D

yes it looks like you can go with higher Amps.... :twisted:

100V and 100Amps sounds good to me...

Never got any Crowns sent in for lacing, everybody is using CroMotors and X5 motors for high power. Mostly CroMotors, we are lacing 4 to 6 a month and one or two x5s.

I don't blame them, I would never buy a Crown for myself. I would much prefer a CroMotor.

johnrobholmes said:
Never got any Crowns sent in for lacing, everybody is using CroMotors and X5 motors for high power. Mostly CroMotors, we are lacing 4 to 6 a month and one or two x5s.

Sorry, I didn't understand. What means "Lacing"?

Back