Crystalyte NEW HIGH POWER hub motor...TheCrown

John is one of the preferred vendors here for lacing hub motors or putting together moped/bike wheels.

So he gets to see trends based on what people want him to do.

OK, I think i undertstood. Lacing = "Rayonnage" in french :oops:

Why most people prefer CroMotors or X5s instead of Crowns?

What is the most powerful motors: CroMotors, X5s or Crown?

The Crown is heavy (about 11kg), what is the weight of CroMotors or X5s?

I'm designing a new ebike, I would like to know if I buy a new one or not... :D

lacing is installing the rim to the hub with the spokes in the proper pattern..

dotrick said:
johnrobholmes said:
Never got any Crowns sent in for lacing, everybody is using CroMotors and X5 motors for high power. Mostly CroMotors, we are lacing 4 to 6 a month and one or two x5s.

Sorry, I didn't understand. What means "Lacing"?

"Lacing" is the process of connecting a rim to a hub- motor or otherwise- with spokes. Some skill is required.

dotrick said:

I made some TC80 calculations with ebikes.ca motor calculator (please don't throw stones at me) and it nearly shows the same what i get with my Cromotor V2 in real, so i would say TC80 is about the same as Cromotor.
Cromotor has a slightly bigger Axle which sould be more durable and maybe efficiency is a bit higher.

dotrick, if you have the money, go buy a Cromotor and make a nice test review :)

is it correct that the cromotor has a drop ot of 165mm?
so it does not fit into a normal frame, right?

TheCrown has a drop out of 140mm and it fits in a normal frame, right?

No, cromotor has normal 150mm dropout with brake rotor and sinlge speed freewheel installed. If you have some skills you can even install it on shorter dropouts...

RoughRider said:
is it correct that the cromotor has a drop ot of 165mm?
so it does not fit into a normal frame, right?

TheCrown has a drop out of 140mm and it fits in a normal frame, right?

i have both cromotor and crown - the Crown needs definitely less width to be installed than Cromotor.

newb said:
Minimum Cromotor Dropout Size

V1 & 2 = 143mm +/- 1mm

V3 = currently > 150mm and will require dishing to center the wheel unless you have the space to offset this new axle design

100 V3s are currently having their axles replaced with ones that are the same width as v2s. Less than 100 will be left as is (around 155mm) for use with Greyborg and Torque frames.

Haven't heard any word yet, but you seem to be in the loop... when are the v3's out? Do you know? Sounds like they'll be a beast...

xenodius said:
Haven't heard any word yet, but you seem to be in the loop... when are the v3's out? Do you know? Sounds like they'll be a beast...

Same as V2, they just have a 10K NTC sensor now. They are out now, but only with the > 150mm drop out spacing.

dotrick said:
OK, I think i undertstood. Lacing = "Rayonnage" in french :oops:

Why most people prefer CroMotors or X5s instead of Crowns?

My 5403 with rim and sprocket/disc brake weights 15kg
So around 13.3kg if you only count the motor.

Which one can I push harder(amps) 5403 or cromotor?

Hi all - very interested in further feedback from those that have a crown. Any good/bad experiences? Anyone broken a spoke, as seems to be the subject (or postulation) of half of this entire post! :mrgreen:

Also want to know if most sensored controllers are interchangeable and would work with the crown? I note that many of Kelly controllers (for example) state things like 'for BMC V3' or 'For Crystalyte 5000 series' etc.

dotrick said:
I thought the crown weighed in at 9kg? Or is that the TC65, and they go upwards in weight from there?

Does anyone know which temp sensor the motor has and how should it be connected to be readable?

Back