Custom battery cases - how to make?

UtahPete

10 W
On Facebook, there is at least one group doing ebike battery builds, including some that have made their own battery case from fiberglass. Is anyone here doing that, with how-to's? I couldn't find a forum or thread with that info. Thanks.

I just did a quick google search: 'How to build an ebike battery from fiberglass.'

There was more than one result. :mrgreen:

Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber are options, but I have so many volatile chemicals already in my garage, that I don't want to add to the combustible mix.

I'm seeing so many ebike applications for 3D printers that this old dog may need to learn some new tricks. I haven't researched any of it yet. I remember several years ago when I was still working, I had a staff meeting and people were talking about hobbies. One young engineer said he had a 3D printer, and everyone ooo'd and ahh'd because they hadn't gained popularity yet. I remember thinking, what the heck would I use that for? Now I'm realizing the answer is just about everything.

I've seen a few examples on this forum on printing parts, but there lots of examples on the net with both free and paid files of different battery case configurations as well as for the cell holders that go inside. I'm moving slow at researching this stuff, since once I do, then the money is as good as spent, but I'm serious enough to be looking at where I'm going to put it. I'll need to brush up on CAD and get some software, but I think I can figure it out (Back when I was a newer employee, they asked for volunteers to pilot a new CAD system, when CAD first came out. Each UNIX workstation was as big as a dining room table, and we had a big air conditioned room dedicated to the mainframe and huge, in physical size, disk packs. A whole room with a fraction of the storage and processing power of an iPhone LOL).

Last edited:
On Facebook, there is at least one group doing ebike battery builds, including some that have made their own battery case from fiberglass. Is anyone here doing that, with how-to's? I couldn't find a forum or thread with that info. Thanks.
Dunno how much detail they go into, but there have been a few here on ES, at least two threads come up in one possible search
and there is a thread somewhere here for showing of DIY battery cases.

I think easiest and cheapest is get polycarbonate or even acrylic sheets cut at Tap plastics or somewhere instead of 3d printing (this was 40$). Glue them together or they will do it for u. Layer fiberglass, carbon, or aramid, and maybe add some peel-ply at the end, then dremel the excess off. I think with polycarbonate it will very likely be stronger than printing. Gluing polycarbonate is essentially welding

This pic shows before doing a final resin coat and I’ll add a strip on the top rim first. It’s easy to make it look good and this will look pretty flawless after the final coating (The peel-ply didn’t adhere everywhere so looks a bit messy still)

Attachments

• 07A65654-D593-4733-8896-8C3D1E81644A.jpeg
    07A65654-D593-4733-8896-8C3D1E81644A.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 90AE8A59-A797-430A-AF9D-AA8C972F7B33.jpeg
    90AE8A59-A797-430A-AF9D-AA8C972F7B33.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 93B3C1DC-DDB8-4E3B-89E9-9C68041DFDFF.jpeg
    93B3C1DC-DDB8-4E3B-89E9-9C68041DFDFF.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 16
  • B61BCCDA-69B4-4A6C-A393-E212518878B8.jpeg
    B61BCCDA-69B4-4A6C-A393-E212518878B8.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 18
  • 409517C5-5B41-44F3-8BC1-39E065A353A6.jpeg
    409517C5-5B41-44F3-8BC1-39E065A353A6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I think easiest and cheapest is get polycarbonate or even acrylic sheets cut at Tap plastics or somewhere instead of 3d printing (this was 40$). Glue them together or they will do it for u. Layer fiberglass, carbon, or aramid, and maybe add some peel-ply at the end, then dremel the excess off. I think with polycarbonate it will very likely be stronger than printing. Gluing polycarbonate is essentially welding

This pic shows before doing a final resin coat and I’ll add a strip on the top rim first. It’s easy to make it look good and this will look pretty flawless after the final coating (The peel-ply didn’t adhere everywhere so looks a bit messy still)
Do you have any pics of the final product, including waterproof lid, bike attachment, cells and bms inside?

I have made a few custom batteries but I used something off the shelf for the case.
Here’s one I made with a plastic ammo can
Thread '.50 Cal Ammo Can 18650 build'
.50 Cal Ammo Can 18650 build

I made another one from a small Pelican case.
Sur-ron mods
Well the battery on your fat bike is possibly the best looking pack I've ever seen, and the metal sides add a cool industrial accent.

Do you have any pics of the final product, including waterproof lid, bike attachment, cells and bms inside?
Not done yet and still deciding what to do to waterproof it. Just going to winch strap it to the frame
Do li-ion cells turn to flame throwing if shorted w water?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I found that old thread about cusotm housings:
"Show us your home-made battery housing"
current version

and also
"Your creations before and after pics"

Back