Cyclone 1200w

Hi burtie
I have used the bottom bracket of the kit, but now that you are telling me about the "large" side im felling really silly :oops: I think im going to check, but now Im sure I did the wrong way..

I just opened a post with the bike
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9766

Thx burtie

Some crashing through the gears vid :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WutMg1zlCJA

And some general Tom Foolery :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo9VND-69iw

Thanks go to my able assistant
Minky.jpg

Hi Burtie

:lol: great vids, thanks to you and your fine assistant for posting them for us :mrgreen:
whilst my own bike is down watching e vids is my fix :twisted:
that kit is really impressive and your builds are looking great, way to go dude!!
i love the crashing through the gears vid, it sounds quite nice to me, whirrrr, change, whirrrrr lol
Seriously, great work, the bikes are impressive 8)

Cheers,

D

You guys are having way too much fun!! :lol: Thanks for posting those vids, some of the best I have seen. Man, England is soooo green!

Nice video burtie !!! really nice preformance.
now im getting really anxious for my battery to arrive :D

Yesterday i was eye chequing my bottom bracket axle, and it dosent look to have a larger side..¿?.. I been looking at the cyclone web pics and found that the 3 pcs chainwheel kit has a simetrical axle, but in the 1 pcs chainwheel there is a clear larger side... so i think i gona have to do some mods :twisted: .

Nice ride men !!

Im surprised your not persecuted for wearing that 'bicycle' helmet in England!

37528728_ce6e978d2c.jpg

Have you seen the cooling fin kits that Cyclone now offer for people with overheating problems?

cooling-fin.jpg

Hi Boostjuice,
Nobody here has commented on the hat yet (it has no emblems on it), If anybody asks, I will say it is a Darth Vader helmet :wink:

Thanks for the pointer to the cooling fins, I did not know about them but since you told me I have ordered some. We will soon find out how good they are!

Does anybody know what the best sort of 'glue' might be to attach them with so that I get good heat transfer? I think the motor case is painted aluminium.
Maybe a bit of thermal grease and a zip tie (-as I just noticed in the illustration :oops: ) would be good enough to clamp the fins against the case.

Cheers
Burtie.

Hi snowranger, thanks for the Arcticsilver tip, I will give it a try.

Sunday was dry so we got to make another dubious video with mk2 and mk3 bikes and an experimental helmet cam :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgFNCE04X7Y

HelmetCam.jpg

Cheers,
Burtie

LOL :)

Hi Burtie,

well i tuned into your thread to see if there was another vid late last night and low and behold success!!!
That gives me my weekly fix i need to press on with my own project so again thanks to you and your good lady, looks like you both really enjoy going for an eride and now its almost a cert that i'll have to build mrs D a mini stinky :lol:
Glad to see you guys enjoying the bikes, that's what it's all about.
Again cheers, good video :)

D

Well my cooling fins arrived from Cyclone

Fins.jpg

I fixed them on using some thermal grease and zip ties

Finsfitted1.jpg Finsfitted2.jpg

Now I just need the rain to stop so I can see how well they work :|

Meanwhile I have been inspired by all you guys using RC stuff and have started looking into a cyclone style build using an HXT 80-100-B outrunner motor. But I guess that will be for another thread... :wink:

Hi Burtie,

nice job on the fins, may stop you overheating the motor when your caning it ;)
Glad your inspired with the rc kit builds, phenominal power from such small motors.
Look forward to your next build, you've obviously caught the bug, wave goodbye to any freetime and cash :mrgreen:

Cheers,

D

Burtie said:
Well my cooling fins arrived from Cyclone

View attachment 2

I fixed them on using some thermal grease and zip ties

Now I just need the rain to stop so I can see how well they work :|

Meanwhile I have been inspired by all you guys using RC stuff and have started looking into a cyclone style build using an HXT 80-100-B outrunner motor. But I guess that will be for another thread... :wink:

Thermal Grease?
I know someone else gave you a link to Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound <note compound> but are you aware the same company make a 2 part Silver Thermal Adhesive?
From their site here.
It can be purchased from most decent computer shops (esp online) around the world.
Even at the place that sold the thermal grease.

Good news! The fins seem to have cured the overheating problem :p ,even with the hot summer weather we have lately.

I have kind of come round to like the idea of thermal grease/compound now, instead of glue, because it means the fins can be easily moved or removed if I need to service anything in that area.

Just coming up to 500mile on the 1200w bike, although the transmission is still working perfectly, I think It is probably time to renew the drive chains before they eat the sprockets. I may use a BMX style chain for the primary this time to see if it wears better.

The 500w bike has close to 600miles I think the chains on this will go on for a bit yet.

:?: Does anybody have a recommendation for good brand of 'dry' type chain lube so the chains dont collect too much dust and crud?
Up until now I have been using traditional style oil type products, but this causes all the crud to stick to it and create grinding paste.

hi regarding about good bicyle chain for cyclone kits. We all depend on the chain performace too, here in singapore sell good price SG13 ~ SG14, USD below $10. I read the review they gave was good. too my surprise it can accept 1500kg (BMX chain), or 1300kg of pull. I am sure cyclone motor don't pull that much, 60kg of pull is too me i will be extremely happy. in additional their chain also anti - rust too. For so many years of riding I didn't know such a bicyle chain can Have such a specification !! ( i doubt anyone knows about bicycle, specification, how much stress it can accept ?) All we only hope it go smoothly and won't burst during the time i have cyclone my ebike to a place. I have read articles saying cyclone kit has some issue with the chain burst !! Myself have burst ONE, everything is destory. That chain is very old chain 10year ! hee!! so myself won't do that anymore. I will change the chain every 5000km range.

here KMC bicycle.com web site.

http://www.kmcchain.com/index.php?ln=en&fn=bu_bicycle

Hey there,
very nice 1200watt build :mrgreen: ,what range are you getting with the 48v20a ping pack with the 1200 kit.im planning on the same set up.
thanks

Thanks,
I am not sure what the max distance is because I have never run the battery flat yet, and I have no Cycle Analyst or Watts Up meter fitted :? .

The longest ride I have done to date is 35 miles, with no sign of the battery running low. Judging by the recharging time, I think there was still plenty left in it :) .

I quite regularly do trips of around 20 miles with quite a few hills no problem at all.
I have recently bought a Watts Up meter for another project, but I will try it on this Cyclone bike sometime, then I will have a better Idea of the potential range.

Ian.

hi again ian
35miles is definatly enough range for me to get around with :) ..
also whats the longest time have you held the throttle at 3/4 or full throttle for??over 30sec,2minutes..
does the motor cut out or anything if held over a certain time

thanks
Alex

Hi Alex,
Generaly I dont ride WOT continuous for more than about a minute, I just use it for a quick blasts, especially off road :mrgreen: . I am quite happy to cruise around below 25mph most of the time when am on the road, because:

a) It is a habit I learned from the days when the motor would overheat.
b) I dont want any attention from the law.
c) My mates can't keep up (including those on other electrics!).
d) The battery will take me further.
e) Motorbikes are much better at going fast.

The last time I rode flat out for about 3 of 4 minutes (racing traffic :twisted: ) I blew the 40Amp battery fuse.

Cheers!
Ian .

hi ian,
well its better = cheaper to blow the battery fuse than the controller....
so i guess if planning in riding a ebike with the cyclone kit,especially for long distances,to ride with some spare,parts,chain,fuses,chain breaker,ect...
i can live with that,well i guess that would apply to all non hub motors.
what if you replaced the the batt fuses with bigger ones....
anyways,ride safe man
take care

Just a quick question... what is the weight of the bike with rider for posted speeds and range.

Cheers
Chainmaker

I just wonder what is your range even with 3/4 continuous throttle?
I wonder also what is the top speed of that motor if we take to the letter of what cyclone site says for three chainwheel Kit (70km/h) and one chainwheel Kit (75km/h)?
This has to someone reply as a geniune source from his experience and ride, cause Ian here says that there is no more than 45km/h top speed (pls correct me if i'm wrong).

The bike with batteries weighs about 35kg, I am about 80 kg, so total about 115kg = about 250 pounds.

I still dont know what the max range is 'cos I have never run the battery flat, but I have done 35mile round trips -no problem :D

Max speed on the flat, no pedaling is about 35mph (56km/h). This bike is not really built for speed with its upright riding position and large knobbly tires :? .
I guess this motor could drive a more streamlined bike a fair bit faster -if the gearing was right.

Cheers,
Burtie.

hi , did you overcome the heating problem? ÃŽâ„¢f you use 3/4 of the throttle in a stiff hill do you have thermal cut-offs? I want to buy the same configuration.

Back