Delivered Amp configuration on SW900

Debunker

100 mW
Hi lads, I just made an e-bike with:

Hailong batteries (not specified the cells brand, probably generic)
48V 24AH
13 Series, 5 Paralel, 13S5P
Cells: 21700 3,7 V 4800mAh
BMS: 40AMP continuous 100 ± 10AMP max

And:
CSC 15 mosfet controller
Fit for: 48V 1500W motor wheel ,SW900 Display
Rated current: 35A , Max current: 70±1A
Size: 118.2*82.33*41mm

With a motor of 1500w.

The SW900 came configured at 48v/20 amp delivered to the motor, I change it to 33 amp and I'm happy with the power, but if I want more... what would be a safe config? I think I understand that the battery can deliver 40 amp continuous with hights of 100, but that's for the BMS only, I doubt that the cells are top quality and I don't know if I can put them to that.

On the other side, the controller says 35 rated current but 70 max. So... is it ok to put it to 35? Should I rest a pair of Amp to not stress it like now? can I go balls in to 40A in pair with the battery BMS?

What are the best config for max power and safety on this set up?

Debunker said:

Find out what the cells can do, and don't use any more than what they can do.

If you don't know what they can do, set current to the lowest limit you can live with and test it.

If it works and has no or very little voltage sag under max load, you can increase current a little, and retest.

Repeat until you start seeing noticeable voltage sag, and leave the limit set at that point, or go lower a little bit.

Then you are not stressing the cells.

amberwolf said:
Debunker said:

Find out what the cells can do, and don't use any more than what they can do.

If you don't know what they can do, set current to the lowest limit you can live with and test it.

If it works and has no or very little voltage sag under max load, you can increase current a little, and retest.

Repeat until you start seeing noticeable voltage sag, and leave the limit set at that point, or go lower a little bit.

Then you are not stressing the cells.

I see... but, can the cells go allahu akbar mode and burn my balls if I do that? I have seen plenty of videos of e-bike suicides for too much amp and I fear that could be my destiny if I dare to dream about the power of gods.

If the pack is of such low quality that you are afraid it will catch fire under minimal usage, get rid of it and replace it with one of reasonable quality.

Otherwise the only way to find out what it can do is to test it.

Back