Destroyed! A warning to those using freewheel cranks....

Hi Miles,

Mitch said:
What are the chances of you coming up with a solution? Maybe an additional optional support bearing for your Eno FW's?

Miles said:
Fine. I'm not keen on "exclusive" parts, though..... :)
Jim proposed having White make a FW with two bearings. Which isn't more exclusive than his current solution.

Miles said:
In case the design I was proposing wasn't clear:...
Another design using "exclusive" parts :p :wink: (sorry, I couldn't resist :) ).

Mitch, Thankyou for approaching Sickbikeparts with that request. I hope they can come up with something innovative and widely useable. I do however fear that in order to retain the use of sealed cartridge bearings in a twin bearing design - a key benefit of an ENO - it would lead to an excessively wide freewheel as a bi-product. However despite this i guess they would likely still be usable for the majority of users with extended bottom bracket spindles. (Not me unfortunately :( )

As always, beautiful CAD work Miles - just as i'd imagined it from your earlier explanation :wink: . Unfortunately for me however, it turns out that I can't even afford an extra 8mm inbound clearance between my Freewheel and BB cup as im running a standard length BB spindle (128mm x 83mm BB).

I've just recieved one of the Recently released ACS 'Crossfire' series freewheels in 22T to try out next in place of the failed Dicta. Being CNC mill/laser cut, they are a HUGE step up in quality from the old largely stamped Dicta and ACS 'Claws' line (another i was considering). They feature a quality finish, 3 synchronously engaging pawls just like the ENO, offer very low overrunning resistance, are reasonably quiet, and feature twin angular contact bearings with minuscule lateral freeplay. If the ratchets are rotary/laser cut like an ENO, rather than being broach stamped such as in the 'Claws' line (and all Dicta's I might add), then there is a good chance that the parent metallurgy is stronger as it can be of a harder material before broaching and subsequent case hardening.

To try and ascertain this I will post pictures of their internals soon!

I also ordered an ACS Crossfire freewheel in 13T to have a play with as I've not been happy with the excessive over-running resistance and 'roughness' of bearing rotation of my Odyssey 13T i planned to use for my next build. Just like the 22T Crossfire, it's smoother, quieter, rolls free'er and is much more nicely finished than the Odyssey.

boostjuice said:
I've just recieved one of the Recently released ACS 'Crossfire' series freewheels in 22T to try out next in place of the failed Dicta. Being CNC mill/laser cut, they are a HUGE step up in quality from the old largely stamped Dicta and ACS 'Claws' line (another i was considering). They feature a quality finish, 3 synchronously engaging pawls just like the ENO, offer very low overrunning resistance, are reasonably quiet, and feature twin angular contact bearings with minuscule lateral freeplay. If the ratchets are rotary/laser cut like an ENO, rather than being broach stamped such as in the 'Claws' line (and all Dicta's I might add), then there is a good chance that the parent metallurgy is stronger as it can be of a harder material before broaching and subsequent case hardening.
Sounds promising....

http://www.bmxultra.com/reviews/acs_crossfire_freewheel.htm

Miles said:
Have you come to a final verdict on the 'Crossfires', bj?

You can all decide for yourselves.....amongst other choices :mrgreen:

FW_lineup1.JPG

FW_lineup2.JPG

FW_lineup3.JPG

FW_lineup4.JPG

ENO_closeup.JPG

Crossfire_closeup.JPG

Claws_closeup.JPG

Tensile96Clk_closeup.JPG

ShimanoMX30_closeup.JPG

Dicta_closeup.JPG

WI_ENO.jpg

ACS_crossfire.jpg

ACS_Claws.jpg

Tensile_96clk.jpg

Shimano_MX30.jpg

Dicta_flanged.jpg

FW_ratchet_lineup.JPG

ratchet_lineup_half1.JPG

ratchet_lineup_half2.JPG

Inner_driver_lineup.JPG

Ratchet_pawl_Crossfire_vs_ENO.JPG

ratchet_crossfire_vs_eno.JPG

ratchet_crossfire_vs_eno2.JPG

Ratchet_pawls_mixed1.jpg

Ratchet_pawls_mixed2.JPG

Dicta_vs_Dicta.JPG

13T_ACS_crossfire_vs_Odyssey_FW_1.JPG

13T_ACS_crossfire_vs_Odyssey_FW_2.JPG

13T_ACS_crossfire_vs_Odyssey_FW_3.JPG

Wow , Boostjuice , what is your opinion since you have the museum:) ; the best long lasting choice ?

Miles said:
'Museum of freewheel'. :mrgreen:

Thanks!

Dammit, I knew I should have charged an entry fee :mrgreen:

markobetti said:
Wow , Boostjuice , what is your opinion since you have the museum:) ; the best long lasting choice ?

WI ENO wins if you don't need dual angular contact bearings, ACS Crossfire the alternative if you do, or need <16T.

Both feature triple synchronous engaging pawls rather than the others which use two (odyssey excepted), so torque capacity is better. The Crossfire has very low noise and over-running drag, the ENO is intermediate in comparison.

The ENO pictured has been used for freewheel crank duties for ~300Km and its ratchet/pawls look completely unscathed from that sort of torque loading, so its got the locking strength, and definitely superb machining quality/tolerances as you can see.

Don't bother with the rest IMHO, Crossfires are basically as cheap or cheaper than the others of inferior build quality.

The Crossfire is finished very nicely and obviously a huge step up in quality from the Claws line. The ratchet profile is laser cut rather than broached like most cheaper freewheels so it 'should' be that the parent metal is harder than the lesser types (Note: ENO ratchet profile is rotary milled, from very strong parent metal).

The tensile 96click looks nice, but has way too much freewheeling drag. Also, because it uses the pawls/springs from the 60 click version, they don't seat properly in the valleys of the ratchet profile. Rather, they contact the very tip of each ratchet tooth = inferior design, handicapped torque handling.

Also, Crossfire 13T is the better option compared with the Odyssey 13T. Lower freewheeling drag and lateral bearing play and looks way cooler! Both feature 3 synchronous engagement pawls, so strength should be much the same.

Boostjuice, thanks very much. I enjoyed the exhibit. Great information, I'll look out to obtain the ACS crossfire. :D

Hi bj,

Any chance of fixing the links or reposting the pictures?

boostjuice said:
You can all decide for yourselves.....amongst other choices :mrgreen:

FW_lineup1.JPG

amberwolf said:
By chance, I happened to save all those when I saw them, as I am considering modifying some existing freewheels with certain features I saw on those (which I expect to fail but still may try).

Attached below, not necessarily in the same order they used to be:

Thanks Amberwolf!

By chance, I happened to save all those when I saw them, as I am considering modifying some existing freeewheels with certain features I saw on those (which I expect to fail but still may try).

Attached below, not necessarily in the same order they used to be:

Attachments

• FW_lineup1.JPG
    FW_lineup1.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 1,687
  • FW_lineup2.JPG
    FW_lineup2.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 5,430
  • FW_lineup4.JPG
    FW_lineup4.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 5,434
  • ENO_closeup.JPG
    ENO_closeup.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 5,434
  • Crossfire_closeup.JPG
    Crossfire_closeup.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 5,434
  • Claws_closeup.JPG
    Claws_closeup.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 5,434
  • Tensile96Clk_closeup.JPG
    Tensile96Clk_closeup.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 5,430
  • ShimanoMX30_closeup.JPG
    ShimanoMX30_closeup.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 5,430
  • Dicta_closeup.JPG
    Dicta_closeup.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 5,430
  • WI_ENO.jpg
    WI_ENO.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 5,430
  • ACS_Claws.jpg
    ACS_Claws.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 5,430
  • Shimano_MX30.jpg
    Shimano_MX30.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 5,434
  • Dicta_flanged.jpg
    Dicta_flanged.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 5,430
  • FW_ratchet_lineup.JPG
    FW_ratchet_lineup.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 5,430
  • ratchet_lineup_half1.JPG
    ratchet_lineup_half1.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 5,430
  • ratchet_lineup_half2.JPG
    ratchet_lineup_half2.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 5,434
  • Inner_driver_lineup.JPG
    Inner_driver_lineup.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 5,434
  • Ratchet_pawl_Crossfire_vs_ENO.JPG
    Ratchet_pawl_Crossfire_vs_ENO.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 5,434
  • Ratchet_pawls_mixed1.jpg
    Ratchet_pawls_mixed1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 5,430
  • Ratchet_pawls_mixed2.JPG
    Ratchet_pawls_mixed2.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 5,434
  • 13T_ACS_crossfire_vs_Odyssey_FW_1.JPG
    13T_ACS_crossfire_vs_Odyssey_FW_1.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 5,434
  • Dicta_vs_Dicta.JPG
    Dicta_vs_Dicta.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 5,434
  • 13T_ACS_crossfire_vs_Odyssey_FW_2.JPG
    13T_ACS_crossfire_vs_Odyssey_FW_2.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 5,430
  • 13T_ACS_crossfire_vs_Odyssey_FW_3.JPG
    13T_ACS_crossfire_vs_Odyssey_FW_3.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 5,434
Yeah sorry guys. I just changed ISP, and the new one is taking forever and stuffing me around with my new FTP webspace setup. AW saves the day in the meantime :D

How to help...
mount a large chain ring 40T+ to the Acs Crossfire 16T FW ?
what do I do or need to buy ??

I just picked up a Tensile Onza 60 click from Ebay to experiment with...

It has dual bearings and looks to be decent build quality, I plan to grind off the cog and get somebody to weld on a flange similar to the WI ENO type....

Would this work for a through the crank setup, moderate power, is it even worth trying or am I best sticking to the flanged ENO I currently have installed?.

I will post up some pics of it opened up when it arrives for the curious.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260910437496?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Hey Guys,

I just wanted you to know I am developing a freewheeling crank setup that uses a second support bearing to solve this problem and will accept normal 130mm BCD chainrings. I expect to have them in stock in about 30 days.

I am sorry to hijack the thread. But, I thought you might want to know.

Matt

fizzit said:
Cost estimate? Or if I have to ask... :lol:
That depends on what you are looking for.

The bottom bracket requires a longer spindle for room for the second bearing. So, it requires a bearing, lengthened bottom bracket, bearing spacer, sprocket adaptor, crank arms, chainrings, and freewheel. The freewheel can be a basic flanged freewheel or a White Industries flanged freewheel. I would guess it will be maybe $250 or $300? I have to total up all the parts that go into this and get back to you.

Matt

i havent read the thread thouroughly as its late here, but im going to make an ebike using the rear disc brake hub mount to mount the drive sprocket for the motor. the disc brake can either be swapped for a v brake or relocated to the motor shaft. are there any major disadvantages to that? the fear of freewheel failure in town traffic or a fast downhill makes me want my mummy.

So, where will you have the motor freewheel?

You could move the disc brake to a jackshaft, if the freewheel was on the motor shaft (or on the motor side of the jackshaft).

Obviously, the freewheel can't come before the disc brake :)

I see ACS are advertising Crossfire Pro freewheels, now:
http://www.acsbmx.com/crossfire.html

"Crossfire Pro Freewheels

Our best freewheels for uncompromising performance. CNC wire pawls and steps for the ultimate precision. Each pawl engages 2 steps for maximum grip. 60 steps for engagement every 6 degrees. Nickel-plated sprocket ring.

3/32" x 16T or 18T"

Back