Diagnose my Bionx PL350 problem (w/pix).

bumper

10 W
A few days ago my Bionx stopped working. The display went blank and I could not get it to turn on again. I checked my external wire connections and they all looked good. When I tried to hook it up to the charger, the red light on my charger came on, but the one to the right of it did not. It usually goes yellow to green when it is fully charged.

That night I opened up the box and looked to see if any of the wires to the BMS board had come unsoldered. Everything looked ok. I hooked up the battery pack to my voltmeter and it gave me 41.6V (I think that’s normal for a fully charged pack).

There was fuse that was solid colored (you could not see if it had blown). I tried to scrape away the gray paint, but was not able to do so. I replaced it with a new 30A fuse. When I put it in, there was a small but audible “snap”.

With the new fuse in, I tried to charge it again and it worked(!). yellow to green when it was fully charged. However, when I attached it to the bike, it would once again not turn on. What do you all think? Do you think I have a bad console display? They are selling some on ebay right now for $100 or so.

There is a small empty slot on the charging port, but I can’t see a corresponding wire that should go in there:

A word about this Bionx unit: it is about 3-4 years old. Out of warranty. I don’t have a lot of miles on it. Probably less than 1K. I only use it in the summer, when it gets too hot to ride my regular bike and I don’t want to get to work all sweaty. I have removed the battery pack in the winter and stored it in my room so it won’t exposed to cold weather outside. Haven’t let it be fully discharged.

Be happy to answer any questions. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCN1362.JPG
    DSCN1362.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 800
My wife and I both have Bionx, and she had the exact same problem. Her bike would not power on.

I tried her battery on my bike, it worked. I tried my battery on her bike, it did not work.

We have the rack mount battery. Turns out that a tab on the rack not not perfectly "bent". The shop used a screw driver and bent the tab up a little bit, allowing the battery slide in a little more. No problems since.

Not sure if this is your problem or not, but I mention it because when both batteries were plugged into her bike, it appeared as if the battery was malfunctioning. The red light on the battery turned on and would not turn off, even when removed from the carrier, and it took some idle time for the battery to settle down and start working again.

Thanks. will inspect the slider thing later tonight. Hope that is the problem.

Aconite,
That was it! the connector on the battery box was submerged. It was not making full contact with the outside connector. I pushed it out and it seems to be working. Have to take a big ride to give it the true test. Thanks!

Back